ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #4291
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
So they must have picked a resort with no cell reception and they shut off the wifi ;-)
I've seen something here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854607
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #4292
TomDoe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: The Sunny Side of Alps
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Same here, same show I think.
Worked the clutch and gear lever, everything very smooth. The gear lever didn't seem to have any play in it and the first and second went in like butter. I also like that knob that adjusts the windshield and the handlebar controls.
Lots of room on this bike if you're 6'7.
Speaking 6'7 to 6'7 : How is it compared to 1200 GS (inseam wise)?
TomDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #4293
rattis
Beastly Adventurer
 
rattis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: East of the seas of Kattegat
Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoe View Post
Speaking 6'7 to 6'7 : How is it compared to 1200 GS (inseam wise)?
Are there any real tall guys, 6'8", out there that have had the pleasure to sit on the new beast?
__________________
I wish I had bought a GSA a long time ago
and now I drink Orange Crush as well, thrice up now, two 990 Adv and a 950 SER
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #4294
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoe View Post
Speaking 6'7 to 6'7 : How is it compared to 1200 GS (inseam wise)?
Seat was in the low position, from the short moment I sat on the GS I'd say similar to the old one, lots more lower leg room due to no intake in your way.
Tank nice and small (compact) where your legs touch. Inseam? Not sure how the preload was set but again similar to before, I'd go with the single Enduro seat (bench) at least you can easily move front to rear.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4295
TomDoe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: The Sunny Side of Alps
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Are there any real tall guys, 6'8", out there that have had the pleasure to sit on the new beast?
Show off...
TomDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #4296
TomDoe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: The Sunny Side of Alps
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
Seat was in the low position, from the short moment I sat on the GS I'd say similar to the old one, lots more lower leg room due to no intake in your way.
Tank nice and small (compact) where your legs touch. Inseam? Not sure how the preload was set but again similar to before, I'd go with the single Enduro seat (bench) at least you can easily move front to rear.
Thanks. Do you know perhaps if the "bench" type seat is higher than the ADV standard seat (also height adjustable?)?
TomDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #4297
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles
 
tallguy-09's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver
Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDoe View Post
Thanks. Do you know perhaps if the "bench" type seat is higher than the ADV standard seat (also height adjustable?)?
I've asked the "BMW-Canada Dude" about that and he said the Enduro seat has the same ride height as the standard seat. I like the fact that you can remove the rear passenger footpegs incl. mount. I'm riding solo so the Enduro seat makes sense for me (I guess). I was thinking of getting the Enduro seat later on. I'm still confused with the 3 option packages they are offering and what can be added later on, LED for example.

Sometimes in 2013 or in spring 2014 I'll ride to the dealer on my 2010 R1200GS and do a test ride on a 2013/14 R1200GS, what will be the difference/improvement when jumping from old to new?
Will I wait for a possible/probable 2014 GSA? I think so.

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 02:32 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #4298
TomDoe
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: The Sunny Side of Alps
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Sometimes in 2013 or in spring 2014 I'll ride to the dealer on my 2010 R1200GS and do a test ride on a 2013 R1200GS, what will be the difference/improvement when jumping from old to new?
Will I wait for a possible/probable 2014 GSA? I think so.
Same thinking, I will try the WC GS in spring and then probably wait for a WC GSA.

TomDoe screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 12:06 AM
TomDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #4299
Donkey
Studly Adventurer
 
Donkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Massachusetts, US
Oddometer: 785
There's a lotta new stuff going into the water boxer, not just the motor either. After owning a 2010 multi (first year) I'd either get a 2013 air/oil or wait til at least the 2nd model year of the waterboxer. I didn't have the problems many owners had but I was worrying about it in the back of my mind. Or, buy an airhead GS that you can work on and will run for ever
__________________
1978 BMW R100, pre-war, vintage inspired custom, black & white
1985 BMW R80G/S Paris-Dakar
2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure
2010 Ducati Monster 1100S abs
2012 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP Corsa
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #4300
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
There's a lotta new stuff going into the water boxer, not just the motor either. After owning a 2010 multi (first year) I'd either get a 2013 air/oil or wait til at least the 2nd model year of the waterboxer. I didn't have the problems many owners had but I was worrying about it in the back of my mind. Or, buy an airhead GS that you can work on and will run for ever
Well, I don't think the Multi's problems were fixed in the 2nd model year...But I hear ya. My '11 camhead has been completely trouble free and a great bike.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:38 AM   #4301
I GS 1
I 90S I
 
I GS 1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: SI, New Zealand
Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by milestones View Post
There's a lotta new stuff going into the water boxer, not just the motor either. After owning a 2010 multi (first year) I'd either get a 2013 air/oil or wait til at least the 2nd model year of the waterboxer. I didn't have the problems many owners had but I was worrying about it in the back of my mind. Or, buy an airhead GS that you can work on and will run for ever
Not sure that I will be wanting to wait too long

One World One R1200GS
I GS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #4302
Wanderer1
Tuesday
 
Wanderer1's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Now Surrey UK, was Massachusetts
Oddometer: 146
Very sadly, the press launch for the R1200GS water cooled has taken a tragic turn. Kevin Ash, respected UK motorcycle journalist has died during the event.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-Ash-dies.html

:(

Was a really nice guy.
Wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #4303
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!
 
Eddy Alvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chester,VA
Oddometer: 2,327
That's terrible. So sorry for his wife and kids.
__________________
Me: Honda CB1100 BMW R1200GS KTM 525EXC. Gabriel: KTM 50. Elena: Honda CRF70. Lynn: Sugar Momma and Gatorade/snack girl!
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #4304
Velociraptor
TrackBum
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,128
Woke up to the news about Ash. Terrible!
__________________
2014 KTM EXC 500
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R
2009 KTM 690r Enduro SOLD
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #4305
khale
ride dirty
 
khale's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer1 View Post
Very sadly, the press launch for the R1200GS water cooled has taken a tragic turn. Kevin Ash, respected UK motorcycle journalist has died during the event.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-Ash-dies.html

:(

Was a really nice guy.
I was just about to post this. Sheesh, this is so sad.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200 GSW | 1972 BMW R75/5 toaster | 2011 Husky TE310
"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
khale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015