Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #11791
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR View Post
I was planning on taking my Super Tenere with fresh K60's.

Shooting for riding to Gluckstdat, MS on 2/1/13 and riding the North route the Saturday (2/2) and the South route on Sunday (2/3).

I've got an XR650L also but the S10 is really nice for the interstate from BR to MS. And honestly with the exception of deep mud the S10 can do 90% of what the XRL can if you just go a little slower.

Shoot me a PM and I'll get you some contact info and maybe we could hook up for it if the time frame works.

Best,
Andy
You should be good. We did a ride in the pouring rain on new years day that was pretty slick and muddy and one of the guys was on an s10 with street slicks and he only got into trouble once. I have a photo shoot on the morning of Feb 2nd but I'll be done by noonish and I could meet you in route if I slab it part way. I'll shoot you a PM with contact info.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #11792
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Nope, never been. Only just heard of it because my wife's architecture firm is trying to preserve the columns. and the pics posted here by Dustb2000

Do you mind saying which firm she works for? I am in the commercial masonry restoration business.
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #11793
stewarrd
JHF

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Have you never been to Rodney? Lots of good riding around there. We could make a good day out of looping in and out of roads around there!
BW I sent you a private message with contact info, would love to meet up with you and baba for the ride over to Rodney if y'all go, or any other destination y'all may come up with. Contact ASAP and let me know!! Thanks
1975 Honda CB 750
2005 Kawasaki KDX220R and 1990 Honda CT 70
stewarrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #11794
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Do you mind saying which firm she works for? I am in the commercial masonry restoration business.
Robert Parker Adams. I don't know how far into it they are though. Her boss is into historic preservation so he is trying to make something happen out there. My wife did the Old Capital restoration a few years back and she started telling me about Rodney when I showed her the picture on here.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #11795
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by babarnette View Post
Robert Parker Adams. I don't know how far into it they are though. Her boss is into historic preservation so he is trying to make something happen out there. My wife did the Old Capital restoration a few years back and she started telling me about Rodney when I showed her the picture on here.
Ah, yes, I am familiar with RPA. We also worked on the Old Capitol. That's cool that there is an effort to preserve the Windsor Ruins; I hadn't heard that that was underway..
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #11796
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Does anybody have any information about a local basic rider's course? I've seen one or two listed online but they don't seem to have been updated in a while. I'm wondering if there may be one out there that's not online, maybe through one of the local motorcycle shops or something. Input from anybody that's taken one would be appreciated also. Am I wasting my time and should I just go do the road test at the DMV? Thanks in advance for any information.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #11797
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Does anybody have any information about a local basic rider's course? I've seen one or two listed online but they don't seem to have been updated in a while. I'm wondering if there may be one out there that's not online, maybe through one of the local motorcycle shops or something. Input from anybody that's taken one would be appreciated also. Am I wasting my time and should I just go do the road test at the DMV? Thanks in advance for any information.
I took it here at Columbus AFB way back when. I was told that part of the deal with Village Cycle donating the bikes to CAFB was that they had to let civilians take the course on base. It was like pulling teeth to get in that course. A few years later I tried to get my wife in a course and they wouldn't do it.

I know this helps you not at all. The MSF does not seem to care about rider education in MS.

The DMV road test was an absolute joke up here. I pulled out of the parking lot, rode 1/4 mile down the road, and came back. I passed and was free to mix it up on the road based on all of 1 minute of riding.

My best advice would be to contact whatever harley shop is closest. They see new rider education as a way to sell bikes, but at least the offer courses, or at least they used to.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #11798
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Quote:

I seem to remember that the courses the local bike shops are hooked up with are offered in Hattiesburg and Jackson. If you are hoping for a brush up on skills to prepare for the road test offered by the State of Mississippi, I can tell you that it is my experience that you won't need it.

You first have to pass the written exam; it's pretty easy. There is a waiting period, maybe thirty days, although I'm not sure about that, before you can take the road test. I think you must also have an inspection sticker, but you don't have to mount it on the bike.

I'm guessing everyone else may have a similar story, but my road test was as follows:

1. Don your gear: helmet, gloves, etc.
2. Crank the bike and turn on your high beams, left and right turn signals and beep the horn.
3. Ride out of the parking lot from one entrance and come back to the same parking space through the other entrance.
4. Turn off the bike and get your endorsement.

So, there really isn't much to it. Remember that you cannot ride your ride to the testing facility unless you are accompanied by an endorsed rider. You may trailer your bike there. I am sure that most any of us would be happy to ride with you up there to take your test; at least I would.

Edit: Just read Anti's post a little more closely; seems our licensing experience was similar!

Edit, edit: Just texted a friend who is involved with the local Hardley riders group and he thinks that the dealership may have some riding classes. He thinks a beginner class where they supply the bike and an experienced class where you bring your own. No promises about the content though! It may just be classes designed to tell you how to park in rows neatly at the local watering hole.

Last edit, I promise: Clicking through the links on Harley of Jackson, I found this website: http://www.cmsmt.net/
This may be the same info you've already found.

Supahflid screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 01:46 PM
Old 01-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #11799
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
If you are hoping for a brush up on skills to prepare for the road test offered by the State of Mississippi, I can tell you that it is my experience that you won't need it.
No, I will either do the road test OR the class which will exempt me from the road test. Thanks for the info.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #11800
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
No, I will either do the road test OR the class which will exempt me from the road test. Thanks for the info.
I took the MSF basic rider course from these guys about 4 or 5 years ago
http://www.motosteps.org/

I don't see the current course schedule, so you may have to call or email them.
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #11801
carabnsol
should have been a cowboy

Oddometer: 1,995
I did the written test and riding test on the same day. just be sure to trailer your bike to the testing site or have an endorsed rider ride it there. They will ask for the inspection sticker. I made one loop around the parking lot for my test.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #11802
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Quote:
Ah, see, you are way ahead of me. Not unusual for me to not have any idea about what I am saying.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #11803
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabnsol View Post
I did the written test and riding test on the same day. just be sure to trailer your bike to the testing site or have an endorsed rider ride it there. They will ask for the inspection sticker. I made one loop around the parking lot for my test.
See my above post!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #11804
Thunderhart8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Pissed Geting the Motorcycle Licence. one mans rant!!

THE FACTS!! You can take the written and drivers course on the same day with $23 cash to get your license. But you have to pass the written first to get to the drivers course portion (book is downloadable from the state site) For the written portion if you read the book one time, quick read, and then focus on the quiz questions you will pass with flying colors. I took the MSF course prior to taking the written portion, without looking at the state book, and failed because the MSF standard and the State of Mississippi standard varies significantly in priority of safety focus.EPIC FAIL. So the MSF course I took was useless for the written portion but allowed me to skip the driving portion. I was there that time with a friend and he had to take the driving portion. The driving portion was a simple drive around the block without getting hit by a car, my friend completed with flying colors.

THE RANT!! Before my friend could do the drivers portion you get inspected for proper equipment. Helmet, bike, insurance. But wait you have to have an inspection sticker. You have to have a COMPLETELY filled out inspection sticker. I had a hard lesson learned when the inspector forgot to completly fill it out and the inspector was a Flowood Police Officer, he got a call, and had to leave, and I took his word it was done. Well it was not done. The DMV was like we don't give a shit and this looks made up, where I got offended and was like they give these out when you go to the strip club as a souvenir like hepatitis but better. So I left driving back like a hooligan to get the thing filled out. The inspector was like my bad so quick fix and on my way back to the DMV. The only real lesson I learned that day was that going to the DMV is like entering the seventh circle of HELL!!
Thunderhart8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #11805
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,880
I used the DMV office across from the prison on 468. I had to truck the KLR there since you can't ride it there without another rider and a permit. I almost dropped it unloading it from the truck... ON MY SECOND VISIT. First visit I failed because I missed a few questions on the test that were not in the MSF book. Namely this:

Q. What is the first thing impaired by drinking beer? (I don't drink beer)

Options:
a) eyesight
b) judgement
c) speech
d) motor skills

So I had to go a second time for not knowing that one... Passed test and rode with a permit for a few weeks and then went back for riding test. Looped the parking lot, used turn signals, parked, got off without falling and it was over in less than 5 minutes.

I took a coworker to GhetroCenter to do his cause it is closer to our office and the officer walked us outside and told him to start up his Vulcan 900 and "put it in reverse and back out of the space"... We both started laughing. He was serious. He is administering the motorcycle driving test and was under the impression that ALL motorcycles had reverse. he asked "Well how do you go backwards?"
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote