Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #11806
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thanks again. I've downloaded the MSF book but it looks like I may need to get my hands on the MS book too. Haven't found the downloadable version yet. If anybody has a link I'd appreciate it.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #11807
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Found it: http://www.dps.state.ms.us/wp-conten...cycle-2011.pdf
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #11808
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Never mind... That's the MSF manual... But from the .gov site so does that mean they are one in the same now?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #11809
wolfy317
Beemer lover

Oddometer: 3,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
I used the DMV office across from the prison on 468. I had to truck the KLR there since you can't ride it there without another rider and a permit. I almost dropped it unloading it from the truck... ON MY SECOND VISIT. First visit I failed because I missed a few questions on the test that were not in the MSF book. Namely this:

Q. What is the first thing impaired by drinking beer? (I don't drink beer)

Options:
a) eyesight
b) judgement
c) speech
d) motor skills

So I had to go a second time for not knowing that one... Passed test and rode with a permit for a few weeks and then went back for riding test. Looped the parking lot, used turn signals, parked, got off without falling and it was over in less than 5 minutes.

I took a coworker to GhetroCenter to do his cause it is closer to our office and the officer walked us outside and told him to start up his Vulcan 900 and "put it in reverse and back out of the space"... We both started laughing. He was serious. He is administering the motorcycle driving test and was under the impression that ALL motorcycles had reverse. he asked "Well how do you go backwards?"

wow.......

My motorcycle test consisted of pretty much the same thing anti went through, which means that it hasn't changed here since '95. If you can ride it down the road and back, and not get killed, you get your bike license...

'71 BMW R75/5 | 06 BMW K1200R
wolfy317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #11810
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Never mind... That's the MSF manual... But from the .gov site so does that mean they are one in the same now?

Welcome to "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you!"
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #11811
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy317 View Post
wow.......

My motorcycle test consisted of pretty much the same thing anti went through, which means that it hasn't changed here since '95. If you can ride it down the road and back, and not get killed, you get your bike license...
Just be sure to keep your "greasy booty" off of the grumpy DPS woman's truck
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #11812
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I had some difficult questions too on my written. Like the ones that BW is talking about where there were multiple correct answers. I remember one that had a picture of a motorcycle traveling on a 2 way street with parked cars along the sides and another car coming in the opposite lane and a cross walk ahead. It asked what is the greatest danger?

1. Someone in the parked car opening a car door in front of you.
2. The car in the opposite lane coming to you.
3. A car behind you
4. Pedestrian crossing

1 and 2 are pretty much a wash. Can't remember the other ones but they were similar. I passed so that is all that matters.

As far as the riding test, I took mine too off 468 in Rankin and I had a friend ride my bike over. The officer told me to make a loop in the back lot, pull out of of one entrance onto 468 and back in the other entrance and park. He was standing by the officer and told me that he wasn't even looking at me until I pulled back in off 468. I think all he wanted was to see if I had my blinker on when I came in.
Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #11813
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
The MSF manual is almost verbatim whats on the written test. Thunderhart and I just took the test a few weeks ago after I got caught riding without an endorsement. If you take an MSF course you are exempt from the road test but must pass the written test. My road test consisted of cranking the bike, a quick inspection, and driving about 50 feet in the parking lot. Thunderhart opted for the MSF course route. As others have said make sure you have an inspection sticker (make sure they fill it out or you'll get interrogated by MSHP), a physical insurance card, and your permit (you get it when you pass the written test). You can take the written and road test on the same day. If you read the MSF manual a few times you will have no problems passing the written test. Every question on the written test is taken directly from that manual. They stop testing at 4:00 pm. Good luck.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #11814
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

The other questions that I struggled with were totally subjective and open to interpretation, in my opinion.

They were the lane position 1, 2, or 3, questions... When passing parked cars ride in 1, when oncoming traffic ride in 2, etc. But when 2 or more object are involved in that equation, i didn't always agree with the book, but had to figure out the book answer to pass.

The group riding formation question was also worded poorly which caused some confusion on my part.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #11815
1life1ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Check your PM's ...
1life1ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #11816
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Lots of good info here for new riders! I really appreciate all the insight and info. How many questions are on the test? I am going to have to figure out a time to go take it as they don't make it very accessible for us working folks. I can probably cut out of here at 2 one day and working in Port Gibson, would probably run up to V'burg to take it. So assuming I get there at 2:30, think I will have enough time?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #11817
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Lots of good info here for new riders! I really appreciate all the insight and info. How many questions are on the test? I am going to have to figure out a time to go take it as they don't make it very accessible for us working folks. I can probably cut out of here at 2 one day and working in Port Gibson, would probably run up to V'burg to take it. So assuming I get there at 2:30, think I will have enough time?

It is a computerized touch screen test, with pictures. I think it was either 30 or 50 questions when i took it. Once you pass a majority it cuts off with a passing grade and you don't actually have to answer every single one. There is a "skip and come back to it later" option. On my second try, I skipped any I was unsure of, and answered enough that I was certain of that it never went back. Wish I had known that instead of guessing wrong answers the first time!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #11818
tslaw
aged n00b

Oddometer: 2,623
Vicksburg is sketchy. On the few times I've been there it was crowded and slow. 2:30 might get it done though.

tslaw screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 10:24 AM
tslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #11819
BradH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It is a computerized touch screen test, with pictures. I think it was either 30 or 50 questions when i took it. Once you pass a majority it cuts off with a passing grade and you don't actually have to answer every single one. There is a "skip and come back to it later" option. On my second try, I skipped any I was unsure of, and answered enough that I was certain of that it never went back. Wish I had known that instead of guessing wrong answers the first time!!!
Wow! That's some helpful info right there too! Lol
Old 01-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #11820
babarnette
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
It's 25 questions now and you have to answer 20 out of 25 correctly. Actual test took me maybe 5 minutes. The longest part is waiting to take it. If you get there at 2:30 you should have plenty of time to take written test and maybe road test too.
babarnette is offline   Reply With Quote