Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #61
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 656
Cool2 Absolutely FANTASTIC!

CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks for sharing, just what EVERYONE here in the ASYLUM, WISHES were happening to them.....except the loss of your DAD.
GOOD LUCK......We are ALL rooting for you.
DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY OR EVEN SELL ANY OF THE PARTS! You will need them.......

SWEET!

Best wishes always,
spo

I hope that you can BALANCE on a bicycle.......otherwise you are F@#ked.
You should enjoy mysteries and jigsaw puzzles.....because you have just hit the mother load.......Truly FANTASTIC!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #62
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688

That's amazing. You're also in a great location...I'm jealous. I'd bet you fire up the grill, join whatever group flips your switch (invite people here, join BMW MOA, ABC, whatever) and you'll have people coming out of the wood work to help you. My guess is you take your time and you'll have a great bike to ride. Plus you're dad will be in the back of your mind every time you fire it up: awesome.

BTW...you need a torque wrench.
1998 CR250
photomd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #63
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Ok so what now?

Here are the pictures!!! What I've done so far is emptied the old oil and transmission oil! and put new oil not a lot, I don't know if this step was necessary but if it was not it is no big deal.

I found out that the transmission was already lose from the frame so a little lifting and unscrewing of the battery holder and viola the transmission is out!

But i have no clue what to do I can not turn the engine over because I do not have a battery and the air filter casing along with the air filter was removed but i found them the hosing connected to the air filter was broken :( I also found out that there was no gasoline left in the tank :) Hooray!

So tips and suggestions for the next step anyone??

Leo562 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 03:24 PM
Leo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #64
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Well, I certainly take back everything I said before because you have a project ahead of you. Looks like your dad had something in mind and started on it, then stopped. The bike is essentially a total unknown because you have no way of knowing what is ready and what isn't.

You need to be working with someone who knows these bikes.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #65
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,364
You have no idea why this bike was being worked on? The transmission was in place and needed only to be tightened? But you have no idea if the trans was being removed still or being put back in already?

Is there any grease on the splines of the input shaft of the trans? If there is grease hear, maybe dried out but still there, it would indicate the trans was going back in.

Is there any oil on the shelf under where the trans sits on the bike? Any oil may be dried up sort of but it would have a dirtiness to it. Oil here would indicate that the rear oil seal has not been replaced yet because most people clean the oil up once the seal is replaced.

It would probably take an experienced mechanic to notice either of these things and I may be hoping for too much trying to figure out what the story is, which would be the utmost help here, to know what was the intent.

It is possible your Father was doing the rear main oil seal, a clutch or a transmission rebuild. It is possible he had finished with which ever of these projects he was working on and was putting everything back together or he had merely gotten stuff taken apart and stopped there.

So you have the trans out now? I guess the clutch has to come out to check if this was the project and if it is usable. The flywheel has to come off to check the rear oil seal. I would say at this point you don't have to rebuild the trans until it is road tested.

We still would like to see the tools you have to work with. Take as many pics of the tools as you can. Hopefully some of them are the special tools needed for this work.

Have you mentioned where you are located yet? It would be the best help for your project to get some experienced Heads to look at this before the evidence is moved around too much. This forum has the experience but I don't know if anybody near you has volunteered to come by yet. I think some of the local parts of the ABC are more active. But it varies from one place to the next around the country.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 12:04 AM
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #66
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,129
Most all of us viewing the photos of various bits, parts and pieces can readily identify each and every bit.
We've all "been there, done that" when it comes to a complete tear down / rebuild of an Airhead.
You will be at a great disadvantage without experience with these bikes.
Get to know some of the local riders / Airheads and make some new friends who have some knowledge with the bikes.
Take your time, read, study and pay attention to tips and hints shared. You will require assistance.
If you don't know....Brush up on basic 4 cycle engine technology and get a grasp on "what does what" and "when"

From what I'm seeing this will be a long term project / commitment. It will be worth it when you're done, plus you'll know the machine intimately. ...and your Dad would be proud.
BMW's of that era are really quite simple machines. No rocket science what-so-ever.
I've been messing with them for 20 years and am still learning..... know just enough to be dangerous.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 08:58 PM
bmwhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #67
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,068
Leo
Seriously, PM me and I will come take a look. I am close by. First things first. Let's make sure the bike is what you think it is by verifying the VIN. Let's get a realistic assessment of what is in store. If you like I can ride my bike over and you will see all the parts that are needed for a 'complete' bike.

Don't sell, trade, trash ANYTHING

Did you get to the tech day?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #68
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

The reason

The reason the bike was stored and taken apart was because a clumsy friend of my aunts had knocked over the bike when it was notrunning my father wanted to repaint the paint and I believe he wanted to get the bike re chromed so incase you thought this project was complicated it is quite simple in nature the bike was running perfectly fine when he left it I think he was just trying to get to the frame to chrome it
So there you have it the reason the bike was taken apart
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #69
dm635
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 361
Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, I lost my mother recently. Do you plan to ride? Looks like you're off to a great start with what you have there. I myself would get it together & running. See what you got & go from there. Good Luck
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #70
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,103
Leo562 did you see my PM?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #71
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post

Did you get to the tech day?
I did, my first. While I was limited on time, got there a bit after 10 and left by 12. I did not know anybody at the tech day, I roamed around, had alot of good conversation and learned a few things. Stood over the shoulders of some 'younsters' in the garage watching them being versed by John. I don't know John and did not get a chance to meet him, but listening to his instruction, he appeared to be loving this and loved passing on his passion of bikes.

Leo, you've got to attend these. You've got to answer the pm's. There are folks out here that want to see this bike on the road. Tap into there experience and knowledge!

My ride to tech day. Thank you John.

sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #72
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

I'm truly sorry that I haven't been attending to all the pm's and the forum this is finals week and I am very busy with various projects/studying!

I'm sure you can all understand my struggle I would want to be home working on the bike but alas my mother wants me to focus on studies after tomorrow I should be able to get back to the bike!

I did not attend the Tech day I should have but I had to study!

Now if everyone realized that the reason the bike was stored was not due to technical difficulties but to physical imperfections to the paint, then the information may be more relevant to getting it running!!

ANYWAYS I hope to hear more from you all

Bombard this thread with information on twins!! And places you trust to buy parts from and your take on OEM parts compared to other parts!

Also question with the battery is it a 25 ah or 30 ah the clymer manual gives me conflicting info!

Thank you all

Leo
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #73
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,581
You have to have priorities and right now that is finishing out the school term. The bike will be there when you're done.

I wasn't able to buy my bike until after I graduated college and got my first "real" job. And I've been tinkering with it ever since. So there is time...

--Bill
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #74
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

I want to make a list of cleaning supplies to buy this week! any suggestions and if you could label what they are used for like i was wondering what you use to clean the carbs when doing a rebuild THANKS GUYS!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #75
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo562 View Post
I want to make a list of cleaning supplies to buy this week! any suggestions and if you could label what they are used for like i was wondering what you use to clean the carbs when doing a rebuild THANKS GUYS!
I use WD40 for lots of cleaning on the bike, especially degreaseing kind of stuff, I get it in the gallon can. (mineral spirts also works but I hate the smell of it)

For cleaning the bike I use Honda or Bike Spirts spray polish

For polishing metal I use an wenol, or like metal polish

For cleaning carbs I use Honda's branded carb cleaner or berrymans (you can find berrymans at autoparts store)
I tried Pinesol, and it just didn't work fast enough for me, nor did it get my carb clean enough. I still had to use the other cleaners.

Don't get carb cleaner on the soft rubber bits of the carb it trashes them right quick.