Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #661
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgh Water View Post
I am heading over the this week to tour the country and figure out where the best place to live is for great riding, when I am not working. Seems the further south, the better right?
Best is in the SW, the upper Rhine valley. Warmest area of Germany, nearby the black forest (Schwarzwald) mountains. Probably the best riding area of Germany due to a very dense road network and touristy infrastructure. (But during weekends it is extremely crowded, perhaps switch to the other side, into the Vosges mountains.)
alicethomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #662
UltiCOW
UltiCOW

Oddometer: 25
Hey HighWater,

I lived in Berlin for a few years and fell in love with the city. However, I moved south to Munich last year and biking down here is in a league of its own. Actually that's half the reason I applied to uni here! Munich is an amazing little city and the quality of life here is through the roof. The Alps are an hour away which makes day trips or better weekend trips very easy to spontaneously decide and plan:) In my opinion, Munich has the best balance between being an amazing city and being an amazing base camp to ride from! Unfortunately the riding within Munich is quite a pain:)

Let us know what your impressions are!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
UltiCOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #663
GatorTiger
Go Gators - Ride Tigers!

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
I am heading over the this week to tour the country and figure out where the best place to live is for great riding, when I am not working. Seems the further south, the better right?
First off: Off road is something you might want to get out of your plans in Germany. You will have to go to France or to Eastern Europe for that. Also: Traffic here is dense! On the weekends during riding season there seem to be more bikes out there than cages. And since there are a lot of idiots out there on two wheels that behave and ride like asses, there are a lot of road closures for bikes on weekends and holidays. Look out for those. The "good" riding locations have a lot of those.

Having said that: further south is better is not necessarily true! Harz, Sauerland, Weser-Bergland, Eiffel: these are all examples that are NOT in the south and have some EXCELLENT riding! And less closures... But still they will be full with bikes!

Are you bound to a specific location due to your job? The north is nice, too, and it's not far to Scandinavia and ferries to Scotland...

The south is close to the Alps and Italy (Yumm!!!). Case and point: You will find excellent conditions (close by) where ever you end up living!

If you end up near Hamburg, drop me a note...

Quote:
Also, I need to figure out if I should ship my bikes over or just build up another collection while there. I'll be there for three to five years. Then I plan on resuming my Colorado/Baja routine.
If you are here for that long you will be required to eventually obtain a German license. The first 6 months you can use your US license, though. How is your German? The ADAC (German AAA) has good info on their website (click here and go to "Fristen"). With a CO license it seems you don't even have to take ANY tests ("Führerscheinprüfung in Deutschland" on the same page)! AAA membership is recognized for many ADAC informational services.

Cheers,
HG

See this: Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine !

GatorTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 AM   #664
GiPS
ADVENTURER

Oddometer: 13
Hi @-all!
I'm GiPS aka Andreas....

Is there anyone of you folks planing to go to the HMT (Hamburger Motorrad Tage) next weekend?!
I'm think I'll be there on friday - and I'm always happy to meet other ADV-Riders...
So what about YOU?

Cheers!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #665
jensht
Der geizige Schwabe

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiPS View Post
Hi @-all!
I'm GiPS aka Andreas....

Is there anyone of you folks planing to go to the HMT (Hamburger Motorrad Tage) next weekend?!
I'm think I'll be there on friday - and I'm always happy to meet other ADV-Riders...
So what about YOU?

Cheers!!!
I'll probably be going with my wife, most likely Sat or Sun though since I doubt I will finish up early with work on Friday. Would be nice to meet up though
jensht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #666
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Greetings German ADVers,
I am moving to Germany in April to take a new job. No, not my, touring business, that is going on hold for a few years while I build my retirement plan. I am reaching out to fellow ADV riders for advice. I currently live in Colorado in the summer and Southern Baja in the winter. That lifestyle is hard to give up but life changes sometimes. I am heading over the this week to tour the country and figure out where the best place to live is for great riding, when I am not working. Seems the further south, the better right?

Also, I need to figure out if I should ship my bikes over or just build up another collection while there. I'll be there for three to five years. Then I plan on resuming my Colorado/Baja routine.

Thanks for any advice.
Hello,

I live in the south of Germany and I like it But I think most people like the area they live in.
https://maps.google.de/maps?q=Beegh%...mberg&t=m&z=17
I have just 200km to the Austrian alps, 250km to Switzerland, 200km to the Bavarian forest, 140km to the Black forest.

And it is the part of Germany with the lowest jobless rate

If you visit this area please send me a message. Maybe we can meet for a
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #667
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Greetings German ADVers,
I am moving to Germany in April to take a new job. No, not my, touring business, that is going on hold for a few years while I build my retirement plan. I am reaching out to fellow ADV riders for advice. I currently live in Colorado in the summer and Southern Baja in the winter. That lifestyle is hard to give up but life changes sometimes. I am heading over the this week to tour the country and figure out where the best place to live is for great riding, when I am not working. Seems the further south, the better right?

Thanks for any advice.
There has been a lot of good advice so far. I think the riding across the Southern Germany is good. Can't speak for the north.

Plenty of bikes available here. Part of the answer may lie in your status when here. With the US? Covered under SOFA?

Let me know if you get down towards Kaiserslautern.

Chris
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #668
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,876
also, in the past it was pretty hard to convert American bikes to German TUV standards - you prolly save yourself a lot of hassle by buying a tagged bike once you are there.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #669
Schelbi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Is somebody riding to the Elephant meeting in Bavaria?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832118

Seems like a few members from the UK are coming but none from Germany??????
1985 Honda XL600LM 1988 Honda NX650
1989 Honda XL600V Transalp 1992 Honda XRV750 SW-Motec 1995 Husqvarna TE610
Schelbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #670
Brian-M
Melting in GA

Oddometer: 956
I was wondering if one of you fellows in Germany might be able to help me out. The wife and I are coming over for a few weeks in March (MMmm, Starkbier) and wanted to hit the ground running with a pre-paid SIM. Doing a little reading and it seems like one needs an address to receive a letter for prepaid SIMs. Just hoping one of you might be willing to pick one up for me (mostly for data use) and mail it across the pond. Obviously I'll cover all costs and toss in enough for a good drink or two.

Alternately, just having an address where I know the letter won't be refused and service canceled would be nice. I've heard too many stories of others using hotels and losing service mid-way through their trip because the letters are sent back.

We're with a group for most of the trip, starting and ending in Munich with the middle stretching north to Bamberg, but I'll gladly buy a beer for anyone local.

Brian-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #671
wipe-out
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
unless you arrive on a sunday you can just pick one up at pretty much any local supermarket for example. no address required.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #672
gpracer171
Kodak Courage

Oddometer: 360
Erlangen???

Anyone on here live near Erlangen? I moved here in November and I am needing to get my Bike inspected. I have several questions about this and getting my license. It looks like I will ahve to take the Motocycle lessons and the whole process for my Motorcycle endorsement as they will only access my Car license. So I also need someone who can suggest a FahrSchule who will do a short process or course ro save some cash sense I have been riding for 30+ years.

Let em know if you can help.

2010 BWM F800GS
2007 Yamaha WR450

If you are not moving forward, you are falling behind...

"Harley Davidson - There is not more efficient method of converting fossil fuel to heat and noise without the by-product of power", Unknown
gpracer171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #673
Hide & Seek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has already be covered (probably many times) but I'm after information on buying a bike in Germany. I will be moving to Berlin from Australia in april and couldn't bear to think about living without a bike.

To begin with I will be there on a 12 month working holiday visa and I will get an international driving permit. Will it just be a matter of buying a bike and paying insurance? Would there be anything else involved?

Obviously if I stay on after the 12 month I will need to look into getting a German license etc. I'm just looking at the easiest way of owning and riding a bit for the first 12 months

Cheers
Riley

Hide & Seek screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 03:06 PM
Hide & Seek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #674
Mike_K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
In the south of germany you have a lot of great tracks but also in the area around Eifel (near Koblenz, Aachen, Cochem) , Sauerland (near Olpe) , Bergisches Land (near Cologne) and Westerwald (near Koblenz). But like GatorTiger said: At the weekends in the season therer are many bikes and many crank people on the road.

Regards Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #675
HIgh Water
Waisting Time

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Greetings German ADVers,

Thanks for any advice.
Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions. No question about it, ADVriders are great people everywhere. I just got back to Baja after great tour of Czech and Germany. I think I hit every major city and had a great German guide to show me all the ins and out we could cram into a two week trip. I rented and Audi A6 to make the Autobahn more …umm.. enjoyable!

I have been living in Baja for the last three winters (CO in summer) so my blood is thin which made it difficult to adjust to the temperatures there. My next rip over is in April to continue looking at where I want to live. I’ll be there for the next five years so I’m not in a hurry to decide. I look forward to meeting all of you once spring comes and I get a bike set up over there.

Tschuss,
'06 KTM 525 EXC Baja 2008 Race Bike
'06 KTM 450 EXC
HIgh Water is offline   Reply With Quote