User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Anybody ridden up to Yellowknife?

Just wondering..... I kinda want to do a trip this year that's northern and I keep looking up that way or turning north at Ignace( or is it Dryden...) and going up to pickle lake or red lake or wherever the road ends. Sorry, I don't have an Ontario map in front of me,going on memory.

So how long am I looking to get to Yellowknife from Toronto? I realize going up to the " lakes" there is nothing there, but I don't really care, I just thought it would be neat.

Thanks...
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Riding up to Yellowknife first or second week of June, no real plan other than fishing and camping for 2 weeks!
Then taking the Liard River hwy down into B.C. and maybe a flight up into the Nahani.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
SteverinoB
EstebanarinoB

Oddometer: 547
Question Not quite Yellowknife!

I haven't made the ride into Yellowknife but I have crossed the Mackenzie to get gas in Fort Providence a couple of times.The ride out of Alberta and up into the NWT to Yellowknife is paved all the way or so my sister tells me, she lives in Fort Simpson. I have made the Simpson ride 5 times either in and out and it was gravel all the way, either out of BC on the Liard Hwy or the Mackenzie 1 from the east where it meets Mackenzie 3. The Liard Hwy out of BC is the more scenic of these two options and more visually interesting than the ride up out of Alberta and north into the NWT though it is a more "interesting road" requiring perhaps a little more attention! I haven't ridden north of where the Liard Hwy meets 97 in BC and would like to do that some day?

Have been to Yellowknife a couple of times and enjoyed the vibe though it is a tad fresh at Christmas?

Liard Trail headed south towards BC

Mackenzie Highway east of the Liard Hwy and then just south of the Village of Ft Simpson.

R90...CT90...Wee...DR650
SteverinoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 922
You should come to this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854503 this Friday!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

That first pic,with the marble looking rocks, doesn't even look like gravel to me, looks non sport bike/ street tire friendly.I mistakenly ended up on a road like like on my Alaska trip and it was ,I think the closest call I had going down on the bike.....shudder.....brings back bad memories.

As it was,the bike got stuck and I had to wait for help to turn it around and get the hell out of dodge. The road I was on had a very soft sandy underlayer tho,maybe the one in your pic is more hard packed.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Groves
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I went this past summer. We also went over to Hay River and after Yellowknife across the Liard Trail to BC.

I'd do it all again too!

Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
... looks non sport bike/ street tire friendly.I mistakenly ended up on a road like like on my Alaska trip and it was ,I think the closest call I had going down on the bike.....shudder.....brings back bad memories.

As it was,the bike got stuck and I had to wait for help to turn it around and get the hell out of dodge. The road I was on had a very soft sandy underlayer tho,maybe the one in your pic is more hard packed.
Time to add to the stable??
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Seems that the new bridge opened this fall, so no more ferries across the Mackenzie..... unless you go over to the Dempster and up to Inuvik!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

I already have! I bought a 2003 f 650 GS fully loaded for Alaska type touring. But...I LOVE touring on the Busa. Its bang on reliable,takes copius amounts of luggage, is realativly easy for me to push around( more or less depending on conditions) is smooth,fast takes regular fuel, and is very soothing and easy to ride.

The GS.....meh...its OK......( yawn).....
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
theshnizzle OP
Studly Adventurer

Groves, you must come to the thingy on Friday night, I have questions!!!! BTW,tell me about the first and third pic,how was that to ride on? Probably,fine......for you......Mr.knobbie tires! Although, I remembered just now I think I can get like a semi knobbie tire in street size.....I think...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
Groves
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Groves, you must come to the thingy on Friday night, I have questions!!!! BTW,tell me about the first and third pic,how was that to ride on? Probably,fine......for you......Mr.knobbie tires! Although, I remembered just now I think I can get like a semi knobbie tire in street size.....I think...
It was fine, but you had to keep on the ball! Very Trans Lab like that the consistency of the gravel changed frequently. That freshly graded and watered down stretch kept things interesting. Especially for the 1200RT and Bandit in the group, but we all made it through in good time.
Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 288
If you are planning a trip through you would be passing right by. Be sure to stop in and say hi.

I will be heading up a couple times this summer for sure.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #13
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,014
North of Pickle Lake.

The road continues past there, and is the furthest North you can ride in Ontario. It ends at Windigo.

Here's my old ride report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394825
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #14
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Hey Snizzle....been a long time.....it seems we think the same for destinations.....Yellowknife is on my list too. Not sure when but it's got my interest.
You know what I'll say about that gravel ....lol....if it is like the Trans-Lab.....you certainly won't like it! All gravel after the grader has been isn't fun either but that is a hit and miss as you know already.

I still say use the right tool for the job....bike wise. You will enjoy gravel much more if you do.

Hope to meet up with you agian soon.......