Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Good things come to those who wait. You'll find more selection in April/May. I know people claim that prices are lower in Winter. I'm not sure this is true, just the supply is lower.

I agree with Off The Grid. Hours are fine but has to be priced accordingly.

This.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #17
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
You sound a bit touchy. I'm no expert, I've just owned, bought, sold and traded a shed load of bikes and I know what I would or would not pay.

Edit: I guess this "self styled expert" was pretty close even though I pulled that number out of my backside.

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/mcy/3509502184.html

http://boone.craigslist.org/mcy/3548553047.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/mcy/3562237256.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3531446967.html

http://bham.craigslist.org/mcy/3510444576.html

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/3548229585.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3543422991.html

http://northmiss.craigslist.org/mcy/3533777160.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/mcy/3561234413.html

http://peoria.craigslist.org/mcy/3522289131.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/3512856367.html

http://flint.craigslist.org/mcy/3531040973.html

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/3548108104.html
As far as I'm concerned, those links aren't relevant. All the bikes are thousands of miles from the OP, many are SX's and probably unplatable and the only EXEs are significantly older except that '06 which would be a good deal out west. At current fuel prices traveling to buy a bike you have to haul home can quickly become a bad deal depending on distance. A nice '07 (last year) RFS that's plateable brings a good price out here and doesn't last long. The '07s are considered the best of the RFS's, latest everything. I just paid 3500 for a 67hr 07 xcw that is getting a plate, once that's done I could easily get 4200 for the bike. So the owner didn't get KW valves, I'm willing to bet he didn't know the difference and a dealer is going to sell him KTM stuff. The fact is he got the work done that was needed, probably dropped a grand doing it. Is it an ideal freshening? No but the motor should be good for penty of hrs before it's required again. I'm willing to bet that bike would sell for $500 more 3 months from now and move quickly. I don't think east and west coast prices are comparable, we have big open spaces out here, ideal for the big bore so the 525 is considered a bike of choice for many riders here.

If the work is recent and he has documents to prove it, looks as nice as it sounds and passes your inspection I'd make the offer and grab it, I don't think it will last very long.

RideFreak screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 07:43 AM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post

Again, your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired

The OP stated in his original post that street legal status matters to him. You have
chosen to list bikes that may or may not remain street legal ( because these bikes were NOT
factory street legal in the first place ) and as such the bikes on your list are not relevant as comparables.

The 2007 model is the ONLY year of RFS-engine KTM EXC which is unimpeachably
street legal from the factory. This is FACT, not opinion. I don't know the OP
but perhaps he likes to deal in facts rather than opinion where matters such as
plating a bike are concerned.

Sure, some of you can give anecdotal "evidence" about how you got plates on your 2003
model etc. but what you can NOT do is guarantee beyond the shadow of a doubt that bikes
which did not come from the factory with EPA and DOT certification and stickers to prove it
on the frames will in the future always be able to be registered. You are free to make such
choices yourselves of course but to suggest this is a wise course of action to a prospective
buyer does a disservice to that person, who may not understand the nuances involved and
may end up with a bike which in the future cannot be registered as a result.

To Tony : though we know that Washington state recently made some rather relaxed decisions
regarding plating dirt bikes, the OP has made it clear that he lives in Oregon. So the relevance of
Washington state rules is questionable in this particular situation, unless maybe the OP wants
to play a game involving registering a bike in a state other than his state of residence, which seems
like more hassle than just buying a 2007 and thus having the guarantee of no future registration hassles,
but of course such decisions are up to the OP.

I was trying to give sound advice to the OP. I still am. What the rest of you are
doing is not clear, but from here it looks like you are arguing for the sake of arguing,
and that you are not being attentive to the OP's stated goals in his first post.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 09:38 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Keep looking, the price is too high, the hours are too high, I wouldn't trust 99.67% of dealers to rebuild an engine. Hell, I don't trust them to do an oil change.

That clear enough.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Harsany OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
WA Plated Bike --> Oregon

Quote:
link?

Good things come to those who wait. You'll find more selection in April/May. I know people claim that prices are lower in Winter. I'm not sure this is true, just the supply is lower.

I agree with Off The Grid. Hours are fine but has to be priced accordingly.
Here is the link where one inmate got his plate revoked - see post #30:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=774553&page=2
Harsany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
As far as I'm concerned, those links aren't relevant. All the bikes are thousands of miles from the OP, many are SX's ... I don't think east and west coast prices are comparable, we have big open spaces out here, ideal for the big bore so the 525 is considered a bike of choice for many riders here.
Complete agreement, Prices are lower in the midwest and even lower on the east coast (compared to west coast).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
So the owner didn't get KW valves, I'm willing to bet he didn't know the difference and a dealer is going to sell him KTM stuff. The fact is he got the work done that was needed, probably dropped a grand doing it. Is it an ideal freshening? No but the motor should be good for penty of hrs before it's required again.
It's simple. 300 hours & stock valves = very bad, 300 hours & new ktm valves = better. 300 hours& new kw valves, best. Nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I was trying to give sound advice to the OP. I still am. What the rest of you are
doing is not clear, but from here it looks like you are arguing for the sake of arguing,
and that you are not being attentive to the OP's stated goals in his first post.
Relax. Everyone was trying to give sound advice. Noone's is better than anyone else's.

This said, if you don't like the replies, perhaps stop saying stuff like Opinions from self-styled "experts"
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #22
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsany View Post
Here is the link where one inmate got his plate revoked - see post #30:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=774553&page=2
Thanks for this. Good info. That's too bad.

What about a plated 2005 from Idaho

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #23
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Opinions from self-styled "experts" like the statement above are one of the
main reasons why I will never advertise a bike for sale on ADVrider. The last three
bikes I sold were sold on Craigslist and no one even tried to feed me
any baloney about what some ADVrider "expert" said the bike was worth, but if they
had they would have been told to leave the premises immediately. The bikes
were sold for fair market value, which any buyer or seller with a brain can determine
without consulting a self-styled forum "expert". All you need to do is look at
the asking prices for all the bikes sold recently, and Google will work just fine for that.

The simple truth is, the opinion of someone who is not directly involved
in a sale is 100% irrelevant. It comes down to what the seller is willing to
accept and what the buyer is willing to part with and all the rest is just
talk.

there are some inherent advantages to listing on ADV. Like imagine how many cities you'd have to post craigslist adds in to reach the same amount of people and specific ADV audience
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #24
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
there are some inherent advantages to listing on ADV. Like imagine how many cities you'd have to post craigslist adds in to reach the same amount of people and specific ADV audience
looks like INTB went on a vacation .... i'm shocked
Old 02-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #25
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,808
Quote:
Opinions from self-styled "experts" like the statement above are one of the
main reasons why I will never advertise a bike for sale on ADVrider. The last three
bikes I sold were sold on Craigslist and no one even tried to feed me
any baloney about what some ADVrider "expert" said the bike was worth, but if they
had they would have been told to leave the premises immediately. The bikes
were sold for fair market value, which any buyer or seller with a brain can determine
without consulting a self-styled forum "expert". All you need to do is look at
the asking prices for all the bikes sold recently, and Google will work just fine for that.

The simple truth is, the opinion of someone who is not directly involved
in a sale is 100% irrelevant. It comes down to what the seller is willing to
accept and what the buyer is willing to part with and all the rest is just
talk.

+1. The 07/06 525's around here for sale are bringing between 4 and high 5K,3 or 4 hundred hours is very common for a bike that age and doesnt mean its a thrasher. None come up for 2500 what so ever,maybe an 02 520 can be had for that.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #26
KDXfile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Bikes in the Southeast and other areas are just plain cheaper compared to the West and NW.
You just can't compare pricing at all in diff parts of the Country.
KDXfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #27
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Is this first hand experience? I ask because there is a ton of hearsay on this topic.

I sold my 2006 300 XC-W 2-stroke last September. It had an OR plate (originally from WA) that I applied for at the DMV. It was coming up for renewal. I'd heard nothing from the state prior to sale. The new buyer (Oregon resident) had no issues transferring the title and still has the plate.

There were issues a few years ago over plated XR650s. At that time I personally called the state and worked my way upto the head compliance officer at the DMV who told me that I couldn't plate my own but they would honor a plated bike from out of state.

Maybe something has changed recently but I'd make sure you're operating on solid information.

6000 miles, 300 hours, 20mph. The lower the mph, the higher the percentage of single track. The stock KTM valves wear. I'm about due for replacement on my 07 (240 hours). If I replace with KTM ones, i'll probably be doing it again in another 2x0 hours. If I use KW stainless, I probably won't ever need to replace them for a very long time. Something to keep in mind.

Good deals are out there, you just need patience. Below $4000 prices tend to collapse into each other, so you'll get good deals on 07s and poor deals on 04s all within a few hundred dollars of each other.

You also need to be able to move fast for a good deal. Like take 1/2 day off work at zero notice, go to bank, arrive with cash. If you can't do that, try posting a Wanted ad in the Pac NW Flea Market thread (and if you're willing to drive, the main Flea Market). Inmates here are pretty honest folks in my experience. I think you can do better.
The hearsay and "facts" that get passed down as to what certain States and DMV's are doing is amazing. People think dirtbikes can no longer be plated in CA,that's not true at all,they do it all the time and not by faking bikes through or cheating the DMV somehow.

There are people here who do it for a business,most used to be DMV employees and its a legal thing to do,green sticker bikes tend to have the right VIN number to do this with.

I asked a CA DMV employee about it,he said there is a thick book of info on doing it but it can be done,on some bikes. If its done illegally then you may be the guy who gets his plate yanked,Ive never once heard of this happening around here.

I bought an 06 525exc with 46 hours on it,no plate,for 3500. Some nice extras.

300.00 to plate it and its good to go,its the kind of bike I wanted,it sounds and runs like a new bike.

If a bike has been beat,it shows it.
Those are the ones you dont want unless its cheap and you enjoy a project.

400 hours does NOT mean a 525 is no longer worth having,if its taken care of it should be fine.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #28
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXfile View Post
Bikes in the Southeast and other areas are just plain cheaper compared to the West and NW.
You just can't compare pricing at all in diff parts of the Country.
+1.

There are WTB adds for the RFS bikes popping up around here,they have become a favorite it seems. This doesnt help lower prices any.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #29
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Quote:
looks like INTB went on a vacation .... i'm shocked
ohhh now I see the "banned" by his SN
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #30
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
+1.

There are WTB adds for the RFS bikes popping up around here,they have become a favorite it seems. This doesnt help lower prices any.
dude, this thread is a YEAR old before about an hour ago, last post was 1/22/2013