ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #20086
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,864
Ok, one day after cataract surgery and driving to work was interesting. Getting used to one lens out of my eyeglasses. Will do this for two weeks and then the left eye will get a new lens. The worst of the whole procedure is taking all the drops before the surgery. Looked like an Owl by the time I got there.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #20087
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,501
How were the prices at the auction? Stratospheric?

Houston and I left before 1300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarr View Post
Just thought that I should chime in on the York Swap Meet Auction Sunday. First time attending a swap meet and auction, great event and tons of fun. After two lagers at lunch with some friends, I bought a 1974 Penton 125 Six- Day at the auction. Looks like a museum piece, and I am a little scared to ride it (a fool and his money will soon part). I probably shouldn't take it to my farm, ran ride the heck out of it, but I probably will. I have never ridden a two stroke, sort of like hopping on my leaf blower and hitting the throttle. Lots of bikes, some cheap and some very nice. I don't post much, but couldn't resist.

Mike
Old 01-22-2013, 07:37 AM   #20088
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Ok, one day after cataract surgery and driving to work was interesting. Getting used to one lens out of my eyeglasses. Will do this for two weeks and then the left eye will get a new lens. The worst of the whole procedure is taking all the drops before the surgery. Looked like an Owl by the time I got there.
Been there last spring and summer . If your vision is as bad as mine get a contact for the old eye. But my old prescription was -10.5. Now I am +.25 in one eye and + 1.25 in the other. To infinity an beyond. I should have asked for minus one. Close work is a bitch. But I can get around without classes if I had too.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #20089
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
IMS tank

Get yourself a No-Toil gas cap for that their well worth the $
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #20090
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
I bought a 1974 Penton 125 Six- Day at the auction. Looks like a museum piece
We need pictures or it didn't happen...

Mike, you're getting the sickness real bad too....That's great!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #20091
Mbarr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Pete, here are some prices (they seemed fairly reasonable). Of course, that was after a beer or two. Here is a sample: 72 Binelli 175 ($1,750), 74 Elsinore Cr125 ($2,300), 75 Husqvarna 400Cr ($1,650), 69 CZ side pipe ($2,500), 77 Alpina Bultaco ($750), 70 Triumph Rickman Matisse ($7,000 that was the highest price). Most of these bikes were fully restored and went for right around $2,000. The 71 BMW 50/5 in your photos stoppped at $2,500, did not sell, and was one of only 4 bikes with a reserve.

Eddie, you can see my "new to me" bike in Pete's photos. It is the green Penton with #46 on it.
Mbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #20092
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Been there last spring and summer . If your vision is as bad as mine get a contact for the old eye. But my old prescription was -10.5. Now I am +.25 in one eye and + 1.25 in the other. To infinity an beyond. I should have asked for minus one. Close work is a bitch. But I can get around without classes if I had too.
Wow, someone with worse vision than me. I'm only at -8.5 in both eyes.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #20093
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,301
More SPAM - NOT M/C related

Again, for the shooting crowd, I just placed the following ad up on Vaguntrader.com:

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ub...903#Post460903

PM or email me if interested.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #20094
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,501
Thanks! Good thing I didn't stay. I would have been tempted.

Quote:
Pete, here are some prices (they seemed fairly reasonable). Of course, that was after a beer or two. Here is a sample: 72 Binelli 175 ($1,750), 74 Elsinore Cr125 ($2,300), 75 Husqvarna 400Cr ($1,650), 69 CZ side pipe ($2,500), 77 Alpina Bultaco ($750), 70 Triumph Rickman Matisse ($7,000 that was the highest price). Most of these bikes were fully restored and went for right around $2,000. The 71 BMW 50/5 in your photos stoppped at $2,500, did not sell, and was one of only 4 bikes with a reserve.

Eddie, you can see my "new to me" bike in Pete's photos. It is the green Penton with #46 on it.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #20095
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Gentlemen, Advice?

Just got this in email. Several red flags arose. I know about the typical scams via Paypal, but I also know I would buy a bike that way if I could. I told the guy I would be happy to take his PP money, but would need to hold the bike for several weeks while things settled. Thoughts?
Quote:
Hey Rick. Jason here, craftsmanjoc on advrider.
Interested in the bike. Problem one I live in Colorado and its a bit outs season for a fly n ride. If bought and paid would you consider a delivery to falls church area as I have family there. Or how long could you hold it. Secondly would you take entire payment from Paypal?
Thanks.
Good ad btw

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #20096
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Just got this in email. Several red flags arose. I know about the typical scams via Paypal, but I also know I would buy a bike that way if I could. I told the guy I would be happy to take his PP money, but would need to hold the bike for several weeks while things settled. Thoughts?
If you decide to do the deal, make it clear that you are going to immediately transfer the funds to your bank account. Wait until the PP payment has had a chance to be transferred and your bank has accepted it. Make it absolutely clear that only then would you consider allowing the bike out of your possession.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #20097
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,884
Quote:
with payment in full through PP, the buyer could dispute the transaction, either through PP or an underlying credit card if that was the source of the funds.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #20098
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
My thoughts are he should have his family in Falls Church complete the transaction with you. I think I'd want someone to come see it before I accepted more than just a deposit. If I was buying a bike like that, perhaps I'd have to make a trip to VA from CO to visit family and move the bike to family property when the transaction is over. The big flag to me is him asking about delivery. Not sure, could be legit but it smells funny to me.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #20099
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
If you decide to do the deal, make it clear that you are going to immediately transfer the funds to your bank account. Wait until the PP payment has had a chance to be transferred and your bank has accepted it. Make it absolutely clear that only then would you consider allowing the bike out of your possession..
Yea ... but what I'm reading is that Paypal can accept a payment reversal up to 40 days afterwards, and will go back to your bank account to get it. Of course, the money will have long gone to a new bike, but ...

I hate having to worry about assholes. I'm thinking that if PP is the payment, then I hold the bike until he flies out to get it in the spring. Grrrr.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #20100
BDRichmond
Adv'er

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
with payment in full through PP, the buyer could dispute the transaction, either through PP or an underlying credit card if that was the source of the funds.
Just an idea but if you were open to delivering the bike to falls church, as he requested, then I would suggest you take a small good faith deposit by Paypal before you travel to NOVA and then have him Paypal the balance to his family member in falls church so they could give you cash on delivery... This would reduce your risk of a charge back or dispute...

BD
BDRichmond is offline   Reply With Quote