Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #2446
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
I've been very interested in this motorcycle since it was announced. How strong is the subframe? My XR650L has a weak subframe.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #2447
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Congrats !

Spot on my motto : all means are good

L
Also, I think someone on another thread, I think TNC, said that they use loctite on those nuts, and a little heat from a torch can make the loctite toast. You can also toast other stuff close by if not careful.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #2448
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I've been very interested in this motorcycle since it was announced. How strong is the subframe? My XR650L has a weak subframe.

Spud
Someone posted on the minimalist about the frames being weak on the XR650L, thinking the complained about weight on the CRF address this. Not riding mine to extremes here just yet.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #2449
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Yes, just went out to look, since I'm thinking of doing the 13/42 soon...
Instead of a 13T/42T sprocket combination, you might consider the 14T/45T sprocket combination. The 45T sprocket is stock for the Honda XR650L, therefore, many choices are available. I employ the Primary Drive sprockets available from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC on my XR650L. I like these sprockets very much, and they only cost $19.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Steel-Sprocket

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #2450
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Instead of a 13T/42T sprocket combination, you might consider the 14T/45T sprocket combination. The 45T sprocket is stock for the Honda XR650L, therefore, many choices are available. I employ the Primary Drive sprockets available from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC on my XR650L. I like these sprockets very much, and they only cost $19.99.

Spud
... what would gives almost the same gearing reduction but at the added cost of a new chain, as 13/42 allows you to keep the stock chain.

L
Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #2451
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Yes, just went out to look, since I'm thinking of doing the 13/42 soon...
The XR650L rear sprocket is also commonly available with 48 teeth.

In addition, the PBI C/S sprocket for the CBR250R/XR250R is available in sizes from 12T-15T.

http://shop.pbisprockets.com/product...&categoryId=20

Therefore, one could also employ a 48T/15T sprocket combination instead of a 13T/42T sprocket combination.

However, I think a 45T rear sprocket is a good choice. For technical off road riding one could employ the stock, 14T front sprocket with the 45T rear sprocket. Then, one could easily swap a 15T, PBI C/S sprocket for lower rpms during extended street riding. The larger sprockets reduce wear on both sprockets as well as the drive chain, thereby extending the service life of all three components.

Spud
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #2452
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... what would gives almost the same gearing reduction but at the added cost of a new chain, as 13/42 allows you to keep the stock chain.

L
Yes, that's true. Therefore, it would be best to switch to a 45T rear sprocket after one needs a new drive chain.

Spud
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #2453
Krono
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Yes, that's true. Therefore, it would be best to switch to a 45T rear sprocket after one needs a new drive chain.

Spud
Yup ... but let's wear the stock chain with a 13/42, then use the stock 14t contersprocket w/ a new rear sprocket and a longer chain

Thats economy

L
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #2454
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

L
Another factor to consider is possible interference with the chain guide and/or chain guard when using 45T, or larger sprockets. Also, the larger sprockets might cause accelerated wear of the chain guide slipper, part #9 in the following diagram.

Spud
Old 01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #2455
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

If one wants a 13T C/S sprocket, I can also recommend the Primary Drive C/S sprocket for the XR250R. These excellent C/S sprockets only cost $8.99.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Front-Sprocket

Spud
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #2456
Krono
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Another factor to consider is possible interference with the chain guide and/or chain guard when using 45T, or larger sprockets. Also, the larger sprockets might cause accelerated wear of the chain guide slipper, part #9 in the following diagram.

Spud
This chain guide slipper have to be reversed when using a 42t.
I guess i would simply remove it with a lager sprocket, unless i can find a suitable aftermarket part.

L
Old 01-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #2457
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:

L
You wouldn't really need a whole new chain. You could get another master link and add enough links to make it work. I have run chains with 2 master links many miles with no trouble. Plus, it makes it easy to switch back if needed.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #2458
Krono
Speed Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
You wouldn't really need a whole new chain. You could get another master link and add enough links to make it work. I have run chains with 2 master links many miles with no trouble. Plus, it makes it easy to switch back if needed.
True

I didnt even consider this, because were I live, chains have to be riveted (by law).

Not that can't be done, but put aside, the 13/42 w/ stock chain is a "no brainer"

L
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #2459
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I guess i would simply remove it with a lager sprocket, unless i can find a suitable aftermarket part.

L
I completely removed the chain guide slipper on my XR650L. The chain guide slipper is installed to prevent the drive chain from leaving the rear sprocket. My XR650L has greater suspension travel than the CRF250L; however, I have been riding the last 16,000 miles without any drive chain problems. Nevertheless, a more "spirited" rider might derail the drive chain if he removed the chain guide slipper.

I also removed the chain guard, since I don't carry passengers on my bike. Drive chain maintenance and rear wheel maintenance are much easier after the chain guard and the chain guide slipper have been removed.

Spud
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #2460
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
I guess I didn't realize this......if I ever read about it, I had forgotten!

So you just unbolt the slipper and flip it over with the beveled end now on top and facing the rear?
Harcomo is online now   Reply With Quote