User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 394
Ontario GS

I'd like to attend the gathering but the commute is a killer. I spending the winter in Florida.
You mentioned keeping some notes about the event and sending them to those who had made email contact but could you maybe post a link to them for a wider viewer audience on this thread?
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Ontario GS OP
Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer: 386
Meeting Date & Time

Friday January 18th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Queen's Head Pub
2555 Victoria Park Ave.
Scarborough, ON

Between Sheppard Ave East and Hwy # 401on Victoria Park Ave.

Here's the link to their website: http://www.queensheadpub.ca/#contact

I have made a reservation under the name AdventureRiders - Harvey for the 8 people who have indicated they plan to attend. If you have not indicated you plan to attend by the time of this posting, please contact the Pub directly and ask to have the reservation number increased by 1. Their telephone number is phone: (416) 850-3291.

Looking forward to getting together and talking about potential travel plans.

Husqvarna TE250 (The Gator) -- 10 KTM 690 Enduro

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Ontario GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #18
Laros
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Please put me on the list for further info.

I was considering a solo ride from the GTA to northern BC this summer. But then I saw this thread and am now thinking it might be more fun to go with you guys.

I ride a 1200GS with knobbies, so I`m fine with asphalt, gravel, logging roads, whatever. Just not mud. I hate mud.

What kind of time are you thinking? 1 week, 2.... 3?

My very loose plans were to ride to Smithers, BC taking as many back roads as possible in about two weeks, and then shipping my bike back.

But I am very interested in seeing what you guys are planning.

Larry

Canucks Exploring Nicaragua
James Bay 2009
The Heart of Algonquin Park 2010
Outerbanks and The Smokies
Laros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #19
Ontario GS OP
Budding Adv. Traveler

Update

10 of us met up at the Queen's Head Pub Friday night to discuss Adventure travel, allowing everyone to put faces to names and learn what each other has planned for this summer. Some of the folks have travel plans established while others talked about destinations on their Bucket List. At this point, no firm destination was established. I should say that Keener & I have seriously discussed returning to the Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado area to do a loop exploring the "Pony Express" trail, the "Parting of the Ways" and parts of the Continental Divide.

We went around the table and learned what bike(s) everyone has, what travel aspirations we hoped to do, riding styles, daily riding distances to & from a destination, off-road riding experience, vacation time available, whether one preferred camping to staying in hotels or whether one would drive to a destination, trailer out or even ship the bike out and fly to a destination.

In the end, because of all the variables I suggested if a group-ride were to take place, we should establish a common meeting location & date allowing everyone to get there at their own speed. This way if a couple of riders like to put big mileage on each day getting to a destination, while other's who don't have any timeline pressure (retired bastards) and want to take in all the sites & sounds along the way, it provides those options.

We have 6 or 7 riders interested in doing a group ride so, we will continue to discuss options and establish a firm destination & date. I will send an email out to the group to narrow down the options and then we will meet again to hammer out the details.

If this perks other's interest, email me a jdharvey54 (at) gmail (dot) com and I can include you in the plans. I will attempt to keep this thread updated as details get finalized.

Life ain't about how fast you ride, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
10 of us met up at the Queen's Head Pub Friday night to discuss Adventure travel, allowing everyone to put faces to names and learn what each other has planned for this summer. Some of the folks have travel plans established while others talked about destinations on their Bucket List. At this point, no firm destination was established. I should say that Keener & I have seriously discussed returning to the Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado area to do a loop exploring the "Pony Express" trail, the "Parting of the Ways" and parts of the Continental Divide.

We went around the table and learned what bike(s) everyone has, what travel aspirations we hoped to do, riding styles, daily riding distances to & from a destination, off-road riding experience, vacation time available, whether one preferred camping to staying in hotels or whether one would drive to a destination, trailer out or even ship the bike out and fly to a destination.

In the end, because of all the variables I suggested if a group-ride were to take place, we should establish a common meeting location & date allowing everyone to get there at their own speed. This way if a couple of riders like to put big mileage on each day getting to a destination, while other's who don't have any timeline pressure (retired bastards) and want to take in all the sites & sounds along the way, it provides those options.

We have 6 or 7 riders interested in doing a group ride so, we will continue to discuss options and establish a firm destination & date. I will send an email out to the group to narrow down the options and then we will meet again to hammer out the details.

If this perks other's interest, email me a jdharvey54 (at) gmail (dot) com and I can include you in the plans. I will attempt to keep this thread updated as details get finalized.
Pony Express Route,Parting of the Ways and the Divide are areas I have yet to experience. Thanks to all of you who could attend and begin hammering out some ideas. I look forward to making the next meeting of the minds!

PD
06- R1200GS
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302

I'll be following this thread
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #22
Ontario GS OP
Budding Adv. Traveler

Adventure Ride - Heart of the West Adventure Route

Continuing on from my last post, I have spent some time researching additional destinations of interest and decided that I'm committed to heading west and will pursue the Heart of the West Adventure Route. This was formerly know as the Forever West Tour.

DockingPilot completed this route with 5 other fellows in 2010 and has posted an excellent ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647968

I have contacted Tony Huegel of Backcountry Byways LLC, who has assembled the Heart of the West Adventure Route, Tony is the author of the Backcountry Byway books and he will layout routes tailored to your desires & abilities. http://www.backcountrybyways.com/

Tony's vendor thread and blog are here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ferrerid=45107 & http://backcountry-byways.blogspot.ca/

I plan on using Tony's services and would split the costs of his services by the number of people involved ($199.). FYI - Tony's routes are copy written so it will not be something you share with family or friends.

At this point, 2 other's have expressed a sincere interest in doing an Adventure Ride in this area and so, I'm willing to arrange another meeting with those who are genuinely interested.

The first meeting was great, it gave everyone a chance to meet and gab about motorcycles, motorcycle trips gone by and bucket list items in everyone's future. but, now I would like to get to the point of narrowing down the variables. The primary purpose will be to come up with a date to start the actual ride at our destination, the number of days everyone would like to ride, discuss the various options of getting to the destination & what people's preferences and interests are. I have great flexibility to complete this in July or August, prior to June is definitely out for me. Also, this is an area where it's easy to break off from the group and either cut your ride short or head off to destinations further a field.

This area has some fantastic adventure riding and so, if you are sincerely interested in exploring this area in 2013, you can email me at jdharvey54 (at) gmail (dot) com for further details on meeting.

Here's a few pictures of area:

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Ontario GS OP
Budding Adv. Traveler

We have ordered the Heart of the West GPS tracks today, plan to leave in late August. Once we reach the start, the actual ride will be about 14 days.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #24
Ontario GS OP
Budding Adv. Traveler

Heart of the West

FYI - We survived the trip west and I have started posting my ride report, it was a trip of a lifetime!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922723

Will have to start the planning process for another.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #25
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario GS View Post
FYI - We survived the trip west and I have started posting my ride report, it was a trip of a lifetime!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922723

Will have to start the planning process for another.
Welcome back Sir. Will follow ur report.