User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,241
a break in the weather......SEQ Australia

Gee it’s been hot…..admittedly nothing like the extremes in other other parts of the country, but we’ve still had a few weeks of temperatures consistently in the high 30s…….too hot for pleasant riding.
So last Monday and Tuesday’s forecast of 31-32c looked like a good opportunity for a little ride I’ve been thinking about.

Load the Flat EarthTM navigational system.

Stick to the bitumen for the first hour or so from home.

First stop Kilkivan. Topped up the tank at the servo across the road from here. She’s lookin’ dry eh?

Must’ve been a bit of a wild storm through Kinbombi area last night.—a lot of branches down for a few kays along here.

Ah, this is what I’m after . I’m looking forward to a couple of days just cruising around on back roads.

Went past this station homestead somewhere along the way…..can’t remember exactly where it was.

I probably should’ve enhanced this a bit, but I doubt it’d make much difference. It’s just down the western branch of the upper Brisbane River. If you look closely there are about half a dozen feral deer just to the right of the tree.

Just out east of Nanango somewhere. Hope you like pictures of a bit of road with a motorbike in the foreground……there’ll be a few of them.

Just the other day we were just talking about those little National Trail markers. By the way……I wasn’t on the National Trail so much as the National Trail was on the road I was taking…..as it is a fair bit, at least around this general area.

Had a bit of a look around and got a bit bushed in the East Nanango Forestry for a while.

Ah, now (according to the Flat EarthTM, anyway) I’m right……but I’m not real sure about Snowy!

Into Nanango, top up with fuel and head out sorta north west again.

Ah, now where was this again? Cant remember exactly, but not far from Nanango. Last thing I expected to see was mud, even a little bit like this. And look at that grass , they’ve obviously had a lot more rain out here than closer to the coast.

Bloody beautiful day. High 20s, with a gentle breeze. Just cruising along, taking my time and this looks like a nice little spot for………

………..lunch.

On the…..err…road…err…again. That’d be the Bunya Mountains off to the south there. From there the Great Divide swings around to the north, making it to the west of where I am now.
Get it?.....cause I’m not sure I do!

And right on cue, there’s a bit of it to the west now. This district is known as Ironpot. I’m guessing that (there, centre distance) is the geographical feature the name is taken from.

But I could be wrong. Maybe it’s named after this…..the Ironpot Farmers Hall.

Now, this is the type of gate I like……and lovely light springs too!

Nice little spot on the creek, by the (quiet) roadside. Filed for reference as a future possible campsite.

Up the road a bit I followed the dingo fence for….well about long enough to take this photo really. There’s a good gravel road running parallel about 10 metres away.

Some people must have penalty units to burn. There were a couple of gates open along here.

Sounds scary. Luckily, well before nightfall I plan to be well and truly ensconced in the safe and luxurious surrounds of ……….

……….the Jandowae Hotel. I thought I’d travel a bit lighter and shout myself a room. It was alright .Clean sheets, clean and modern bathroom facilities and you can’t complain at $30.00 a night. I still reckon I’ll be back to camping next time.

Early the next morning I had breakfast in the park and went for a bit of a stroll around town. Jandowae is a pleasant town though it’s probably fair to say not the bustling centre it obviously once was.

Railway freight crane. The old branch line from Dalby is long gone.

Bottle trees tell you you’re west of the Great Divide (just) Conadamine catchment around here. As the dingo fence goes all the way to South Australia so does (a lot of) the water.

Local tourist attraction. Aww look, he’s even got his own little dingo fence.

A few of the many empty shops.

Lots of unusual buildings. Old Picture Theatre maybe?

And the pubs. All three of them still going……...

……..Top……..

……..Middle…….

……and Bottom

Away The it's backroads to Durong. Taking it real easy as it was still only about 7 o clock and there was a lot of kangaroos in all that grass.

Rest of the 2nd day later.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,738
Looks like a great couple of days riding there, Woop.

"Troy was wrong!" - DRjoe
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,565
Good job Woopwoop

Nice report, you might have to take me for a ride if I get a week off in March.
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,728
Good report woop
Those paniers of yours what have you put in to give them the permanent hard pannier shape , and what are the straps you use they look very good?
im doing a 6 day 5 night camping ride to Barrington tops 2nd of march if your interested
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
DR-DRZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Good stuff Woop. I'm a little jealous.
Kids are back to school next week, so I will be planning on having some little adventures of my own.
Post if your free for a day ride and I will rip down to Gympie or meet at Tiaro.

DR-DRZ screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 03:54 PM
DR-DRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
woopwoop OP
will think for food

From Jandowae I looped up around Diamondy State Forest to Durong.
I had planned to cut across through the forest, but was intercepted by a lovely lady in a big Landcruiser who soon put paid to that idea. According to her, grazing lease rights trump everything..all roads closed!.

Ah well, it looked a bit lonely anyway, so I just went around the long way.

Looking at the topo map at home I saw a “racecourse” marked, out in the middle of nowhere near Chapingah, an old soldier settlement area south east of Durong. I thought I’d check it out, not really expecting to find anything except maybe a few ruins.

Instead I came around a corner to be confronted by the biggest flashest bush racecourse set up you’ve ever seen!

The track

Sounds fair enough

Stables, amenity blocks, hall etc, all well maintained.

All the facilities you might need to conduct a race meeting.

The party’s over? (I swear.I did not set that up)

Now I’m getting back down towards Ironpot again. There was a newer house back down a bit on the other side of the road. No sooner had I got off the bike here when the whole family ( 3 Polaris quad loads) converged on me…..just seeing what I was up to. The bloke was telling me that the racecourse back up the road is Burrandowan……they conduct a pretty big annual race meeting there.

Down and across to Alice Creek at the base of the Bunya Mountains, highest part of South East Qld. until you get into the border ranges.

I was struck by the number of horses I saw on the trip, some fine looking animals too.
Think I read somewhere that there are far more horses in Australia today, than ever at the height of the horse drawn era. Easy to believe.

I should’ve taken more picures on this next section, but isn’t that always the way with the best bits?

When you walk the Barker Creek circuit from Dandabah at the top of the Bunya Mountains you can go to the top of Big Falls, where Barker Creek goes over a sheer rock cliff near the the North East boundary of the National Park. I thought I’d see if I could find a track to get in close enough to see the falls from the bottom.

I’m pretty sure the track goes in off one of these roads. Trouble is, the post turns in the ground and the signs spin on the post. It’s times like this, you’re grateful for FlatEarthTM.

Early Australian “Beware of the Dog” sign?
Actually, it must’ve been the people that gave their name to Barkers Creek.

I should’ve taken more pics in here, but too late now. I found the track and got a few kays in before it started to get a little bit rough and I had a growing awareness of being in there all alone. Then while going up a little hill slow in first gear I ran over a big Red Belly Black snake. That decided it……. this photo is taken just after I turned around!

Reckon I was close, though. I’m pretty sure the falls are just up in there somewhere. I backtracked a bit and tried another side track (I’ve a feeling they may form a loop) but caution got the better of me again. I’ll go back in company.

Back up the track a bit, I came upon this at the entrance of an otherwise unmarked track leading off into the bush. I read it as “No Trespassing” and just quietly moved on.

Heading north again now. With a bit of planning you can go all the way from the Bunyas up to Murgon (or further if you want) with hardly any bitumen.

Most of it is real nice gravel roads like this.

Mixed with a bit of other interesting but easy stuff. This is a section of a road that runs from just east of Kingaroy north towards Wondai.

Another bit of the same road. Doesn’t see much traffic but easy to find and fenced on both sides.

Up and across to Old Wondai Road.

Please telephone in advance to ascertain if Charles is currently in residence.

On the home run now

One last stop along one of my favourites….Cherbourg Forestry Road.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
03rubicon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Very nice and nice to see green grass.
03rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Looks like a great couple of days riding there, Woop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
Nice report, you might have to take me for a ride if I get a week off in March.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-DRZ View Post
Good stuff Woop. I'm a little jealous.
Kids are back to school next week, so I will be planning on having some little adventures of my own.
Post if your free for a day ride and I will rip down to Gympie or meet at Tiaro.
Thanks for your kind remarks , gents.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
woopwoop OP
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03rubicon View Post
Very nice and nice to see green grass.
Thankyou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Good report woop
Those paniers of yours what have you put in to give them the permanent hard pannier shape , and what are the straps you use they look very good?
im doing a 6 day 5 night camping ride to Barrington tops 2nd of march if your interested
B2----here is a link to an old thread about the panniers.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570338

instead of the straps shown in that thread, I now use Gotcha brand straps.....simple, effective and cheap. I've used their online system and found they will post to Australia.
http://www.gotchastraps.co.nz/
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,728
Thanks woop
I just ordered the six 2 metre and the four 1 metre
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 588
Brilliant ride report Woop felt like I was there.

Would love to go out on another ride like this with you, I've never been out there before. If you feel like company on another ride send me a PM.
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Great write up that has given me some ideas. I am on leave all next week and plan on exploring some of that part of the world to learn a few roads if anyone is interested in riding during the week once Huey settles down.
A work colleague based out of Toowoomba has just bought a new Tiger and, weather gods permitting, he and I will do a run next weekend through that way so learning some roads ahead of that will help.
I'll be on the look out for the book of maps given that it might be tough for Woopwoop to upload the .flteth file from his tankbag display unit.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #13
Wasca
Adventurized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
Mark,
If your going out any day soon let me know, after all this weather I want to set my chair up at the creek crossing with an esky and a few beers.
I'm going to have to start charging for my performances I take cash, credit card and direct deposit.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I am yet to see you perform in the flesh but reading about your exploits keeps me well amused. Do you accept beers in lieu of hard cash?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #15
Wasca
Adventurized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMess View Post
I am yet to see you perform in the flesh but reading about your exploits keeps me well amused. Do you accept beers in lieu of hard cash?

Yes Beers are accepted, half upfront and half after the show :-)