ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #196
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richklr650 View Post
im riding today with my daughter but going to be up around mass. conn. hitting the vanilla bean in pomfort conn. thinking noonish
Going to stay for local ride I think. Got to plan one of these weekends soon.
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #197
Richklr650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
had a great ride yesterday with my daughter about 65 miles some d/s some tar stopped at the vanilla bean not many bikes there tho
Richklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #198
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post

Any feedback on Lithium batteries?

More interesting reading.....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856830

$32 billion dollar project to build a thousand $207 million dollar jets that have Lithium battery problems.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #199
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,329
I have a Shorai 9ah battery and I'm not very impressed with it. Lighter but seems kind of weak, like my lead battery. I honestly thing the way to go is with some NiCad packs or the A123 cells because the just push the amperage. They WANT to discharge quickly. A pack of those made to take up the same space as your regular battery would have a LOT of power.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #200
stromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
A123 marshmallows and a new wiring harness

THose puppies are NOT ready to hunt

NiCads get a use memory and usually only good for 200 discharge/charge cycles so no
stromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #201
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,170
Like I said earlier..somewhere.. I replaced the OEM Yuassa battery on the Husa right off the bat with a Shorai battery. It definitely cranks the bike better.. I have the $$ Shorai charger, but I have never plugged it in.. I have not started the bike since November.. so I thought I would go out and see if it would start.. today it was around 30 and snowing here in Newport... sorry about the goofy cell phone video.

I didnt have to "warm" the battery up at all.. although there are other videos of bigger bikes where the owner definitely had to turn on the headlight for a bit.. I think mine starts so well because the Shorai has way more CC amps than the bike requires.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #202
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromper View Post
A123 marshmallows and a new wiring harness

THose puppies are NOT ready to hunt

NiCads get a use memory and usually only good for 200 discharge/charge cycles so no
Yea, I hear ya. I'll try a new regular battery and keeping it on a tender. It sucks that I have two batteries that are less than 2 years old and they are weak.

I got a Shorai 9AH battery when my starter stopped working, hoping to fix it. It wasn't the battery, but I left it in. The charging system should have kept it decent. Anyway, it's pretty weak now and doesn't crank it cold, that's for sure - so it's useless to me
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #203
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Yea, I hear ya. I'll try a new regular battery and keeping it on a tender. It sucks that I have two batteries that are less than 2 years old and they are weak.

I got a Shorai 9AH battery when my starter stopped working, hoping to fix it. It wasn't the battery, but I left it in. The charging system should have kept it decent. Anyway, it's pretty weak now and doesn't crank it cold, that's for sure - so it's useless to me
One thing about the Shorais that I have read is that when they get weak they must be reconditioned with the Shorai charger.. it is all computerized and such and it knows how to recondition the individual cells somehow.. You are welcome to borrow mine if you would like to try and recondition your Shorai.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #204
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:

I got a Shorai 9AH battery ... - so it's useless to me
I can find some use for it!
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #205
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
One thing about the Shorais that I have read is that when they get weak they must be reconditioned with the Shorai charger.. it is all computerized and such and it knows how to recondition the individual cells somehow.. You are welcome to borrow mine if you would like to try and recondition your Shorai.
I'll give it a shot. I'm going to take some measurements and compare the results. I will go from full charge record the voltage.
Then hook some lights up to the battery and see how long it takes to drop to a certain voltage. maybe 10.5 volts or something like that.
That should be a good indication if the battery gained any capacity.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #206
lester3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
cranky

i have a true gel battery 4 yrs old .no issues. are your bikes stored in a heated area?
lester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #207
alcontrast OP
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
I'll give it a shot. I'm going to take some measurements and compare the results. I will go from full charge record the voltage.
Then hook some lights up to the battery and see how long it takes to drop to a certain voltage. maybe 10.5 volts or something like that.
That should be a good indication if the battery gained any capacity.
I like to watch how low the voltage drops when cranking the starter motor. It's probably a little different with a lithium battery but a lead acid battery can be showing 12.6v with the bike turned off or even with the lights on but when you put it under load by cranking the motor the voltage will drop substantially.. With a good battery it usually goes no lower than 10 volts from my experience. If it drops down below 9 volts or so in the first few seconds the battery may be on it's way out.. If it drops down below 6 or 7 volts the battery definitely has issues.. Temperature will affect that also.. Again that's based on lead acid/agm batteries and lithium may react entirely differently but I would think that's still a better test than a slow drain on the battery with some lights.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #208
akarob
Green Cantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester3 View Post
i have a true gel battery 4 yrs old .no issues. are your bikes stored in a heated area?
No, its currently about 16F in my garage. I did get my lights sorted out and I also got my MAIN headlight bulb working (I think). I'll check it tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I fixed it. The plug was wired wrong.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #209
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by lester3 View Post
are your bikes stored in a heated area?
I wish! I can't seem to get my garage over 35 degrees even with a 22K/BTU kerosene heater when it's this cold out. My bikes need some attention before next season gets going.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #210
maat
meh.

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
I can find some use for it!
I have a 14ah Shorai that you can borrow until spring. I really like Shorai batteries but don't trust them. I am shipping my bike to Peru for a few weeks of riding in February so I swapped the shorai out for an AGM until I get back.
maat is offline   Reply With Quote