Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #631
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I had a set of custom ear molds made that accept my Etymotic ER6i earphones. They will accept other brand earphones as well. No fiddling with getting these babies in there just right, there is only one way, and it is just right. Excellent isolation from wind noise, They won't pull out when you're putting on your helmet, and they stay comfortable all day. Quality of the sound depends on how you equip them. I'm very happy with mine.
I've been looking at some of the Etymotic earphones because of the triple flange to isolate noise. That custom ear molds with earphones is a one-time shot, right? Not that it is a big deal. I guess the first step is to secure a set of those earphones and see how well they fit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Bump - the fun of being surrounded by a monsoon with no cover

That doesn't look very nice! Though, I did experience one like that in 2011 on the Goldwing up in Nebraska. I had time to stop an put on rain gear, but the big drops where hitting in the process. How did you fair through this?

My only ride report | IBA member | AMA member
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #632
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
I did alright through it, just the wind blew me all over. I went up the middle stripe of the road and let it blow me around

You're going to love those ear buds, I won't use any other brand after having those!!!
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #633
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Hey biatch, got any GREY POUPON!?

'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #634
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
grr. the clutch on my new-to-me k1200rs has started slipping. some oily residue buildup on the right side where the engine and transmission bolt together. I guess I'll tear it apart and see what she needs for christmas.
I finally got it torn down this week. JFC, those swingarm pivot bolts were in there tight!
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #635
Rider OP
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,958
Here's a little comparo between the Honda ST1300, the Kawasaki Concours 14 and the newly updated FJR1300 ...

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #636
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,400
I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting a 2013 to replace my 2006 in a few years. My FJR has been my favorite bike of many that I've tried. Being able to transfer my factory trunk,custom seat, ( and possibly upper triple clamp if I get one) make it that much easier to make that decision.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #637
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
I'm pretty sure that I'll be getting a 2013 to replace my 2006 in a few years. My FJR has been my favorite bike of many that I've tried. Being able to transfer my factory trunk,custom seat, ( and possibly upper triple clamp if I get one) make it that much easier to make that decision.
Nice
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #638
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I bought the 2013 FJR. I had no brand loyalty to any of the 3 mentioned in the video, as most of my biking was done on a '56 Pandead. I really love this bike, and the more I get used to it, the better it gets. At approx. 637lbs. it's still not a "light" bike, but lighter than the other two. I've surprised myself in how well I'm able to maneuver it at slow/crawl speeds in parking lots. To me, it's a well balanced bike...very easy to handle. I've only put 650 miles on it so far, so take that into consideration, as the newness factor is still going strong! Everyone has their own tastes, so one of the other two may be better suited for them. I'm just happy that I ended up choosing the FJR
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #639
Bugz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLD View Post
I bought the 2013 FJR. I had no brand loyalty to any of the 3 mentioned in the video, as most of my biking was done on a '56 Pandead. I really love this bike, and the more I get used to it, the better it gets. At approx. 637lbs. it's still not a "light" bike, but lighter than the other two. I've surprised myself in how well I'm able to maneuver it at slow/crawl speeds in parking lots. To me, it's a well balanced bike...very easy to handle. I've only put 650 miles on it so far, so take that into consideration, as the newness factor is still going strong! Everyone has their own tastes, so one of the other two may be better suited for them. I'm just happy that I ended up choosing the FJR
Can't go wrong with any of 'em, and certainly not with the 2013 FJR
Bugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #640
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocopter View Post
I've been looking at some of the Etymotic earphones because of the triple flange to isolate noise.
I use the Etymotic MC5 earbuds and they are excellent. The triple flange tips work well for noise isolation, but they end up bugging me after an hour or so. That's just me though, YMMV. I use the soft foam tips (sort of like foam earplugs for trap shooting) and find that I can ride all day in comfort with them, and the foam tips do very well at blocking noise — I'd say they're at least -33 dB.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #641
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I use the Etymotic MC5 earbuds and they are excellent. The triple flange tips work well for noise isolation, but they end up bugging me after an hour or so. That's just me though, YMMV. I use the soft foam tips (sort of like foam earplugs for trap shooting) and find that I can ride all day in comfort with them, and the foam tips do very well at blocking noise — I'd say they're at least -33 dB.
A bit if a side-track but for what it's worth I used ER6's for years and loved them, articulate but natural sound, excellent isolation, fit under the full-face. Unfortunately, they died on the way back from Texas last year and none of the current Etymotics seem to be low enough to fit comfortably under my helmet. I'm trying a new type tho: Westone UM1's, they fit much more snugly and I think should work well tho I need some long days in the saddle to be sure.

And, back on track: I think the video review is about right. I did find, however, for sustained long distances, particularly with taller riders, the Honda seems to be bit more comfortable and you can't beat the range. It is more expensive tho you don't need too look to hard for a deal on a left over to fix that.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #642
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
For a sport tourer, don't y'all think a long wheelbase improves the ride quality?
http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/3563640033.html
Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #643
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
A bit if a side-track but for what it's worth I used ER6's for years and loved them, articulate but natural sound, excellent isolation, fit under the full-face. Unfortunately, they died on the way back from Texas last year and none of the current Etymotics seem to be low enough to fit comfortably under my helmet. I'm trying a new type tho: Westone UM1's, they fit much more snugly and I think should work well tho I need some long days in the saddle to be sure.

And, back on track: I think the video review is about right. I did find, however, for sustained long distances, particularly with taller riders, the Honda seems to be bit more comfortable and you can't beat the range. It is more expensive tho you don't need too look to hard for a deal on a left over to fix that.
Thread hijack ON: I know several riders who use the ER6s and love 'em. Etymotic seems to make pretty good earbuds. I certainly enjoy mine.

Thread hijack OFF
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #644
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...88&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
I'm not doing anything at this point. No need for taller shield. It's perfect as is. Not planning in top box, I personally think they r ugly. Ill provide more comparison as I ride. 30 mins today and I'm really sold on this bike. No looking back at the FJR.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #645
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 867
New to the area and a sport-touring guy.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote