User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
shortcutsmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Isle of man

I never been there but want to see at least a smal part, maybe a couple or 3 days. Looking for a adv kind of person that has been there, plans on going this year (late APR early JUN). We ,my wife and I, can get to the isle but don't want to commit (pay) for 2 plus weeks to get a place to sleep for 2 or 3 days. Open to ideas or thoughts from other inmates, is this a foolish dream or what?
shortcutsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Gordon Bennett
At least I tried

Oddometer: 343
Probably tough over the TT fortnight (25 May - 7 June), but you could try it for the start of practice week. The tourist website would be a good place to start - http://www.visitisleofman.com/accomm...an-hotels.aspx But if you just want to see the beauty of the IOM go earlier and rooms should be plentiful.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,785
My dad and I went there last year and if you don't have a place by now for race week you're probably SOL. If you're planning on riding over then if you can find a place for race week you may be out of luck for a ferry booking.

What we did was we went over for practice week and loved it. No crowds, still got to watch all the practices every day, and was really easy to get from one place to another. Wasn't hard to find a place either. We flew in but I believe there were a lot of ferry crossings still open for that time too.

Honestly, if I go back, I'll go back for Race Week again. I'd probably try to stay at the Edelweiss Hotel though; the Bushy's tent got a little "loud" at night.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
Look up a website that has a title something like "Home Stay Isle of Man". Just a month ago, they still had availability. Private home owners are looking to fill rooms, and may not want to rent for the entire 2 weeks.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett View Post
Probably tough over the TT fortnight (25 May - 7 June), But if you just want to see the beauty of the IOM go earlier and rooms should be plentiful.

Isle of Man
It's stunningly beautiful and peaceful. Worth while going even if you can't make the TT

Make sure you have a Toad in the Hole with your Bushys when you go to the pub

MANXMAN screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:01 PM
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,578
I would like to go for the 2014 TT.

I reckon I ought to start making inquiries about now, eh?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I would like to go for the 2014 TT.

I reckon I ought to start making inquiries about now, eh?
Haha uh yeah. I started looking in January last year and barely found something for practice week. Let me know if you want the list of all the hotels in Douglas, cab drivers, places to eat, etc.

It's a LOAD of fun and if you ever watch them on TV you'll be floored when you spend 35 for a lap of the course. We had a local rally driver/cabbie take us around. 85mph over the mountain in the corners. God only knows how Connor Cummins survived his crash 2 years ago. It's a long damn way down.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
shortcutsmc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
translation

OK, what's a BUSHY, it can't be what I'm thinking?
shortcutsmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcutsmc View Post
From the context, I'd guess it means friends; as in friends you might spend time with out in the bush (forest). I would have pegged that as an Ausie term, though.

It is good to keep up on this stuff, so we're not completely lost during conversations in the UK.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
ProZac235
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Thanks for the pictures MANXMAN. Looks like a stunning place.
ProZac235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcutsmc View Post
Bushys is a local beer that is consumed in large quantities during the TT.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
You can fly to London (and several other cities), and from there to the IOM 365 days/year. During TT week it will be a lot of hassle (expensive) to get any vehicle onto the Island. If you really want to see the TT do you like camping? Foot passengers on the ferry from Heysham, Liverpool, Dublin or Belfast are not expensive. From experience, foot passenger ferry tickets from Belfast are available right up to, and during the TT.

Taking a bike to the TT is fantastic, but nowadays, during race week, the circuit is closed most of the time due to accidents. Public transport is very good and means you can drink more!
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #13
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
I hope to make it some day myself...BTW there is a good documentary on the 2012 IOMTT at
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/...442860175.html
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
My dad and I went there last year and if you don't have a place by now for race week you're probably SOL. If you're planning on riding over then if you can find a place for race week you may be out of luck for a ferry booking.

What we did was we went over for practice week and loved it. No crowds, still got to watch all the practices every day, and was really easy to get from one place to another. Wasn't hard to find a place either. We flew in but I believe there were a lot of ferry crossings still open for that time too.

Honestly, if I go back, I'll go back for Race Week again. I'd probably try to stay at the Edelweiss Hotel though; the Bushy's tent got a little "loud" at night.
Yeah, I stayed at the Empress Hotel right on the central promenade when I went to TT'94. Lovely place, right in the centre of all the happenings. The year I went, Bushy's pub was still open, over by the end of the promenade closest the ferry dock.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 AM   #15
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Either avoid the TT weeks to see the island, or pay a fortune and be herded like cattle during the race weeks.
Flights from Liverpool are the cheapest. Ferry from Liverpool is great with views of the historic city from the Mersey estuary, maybe worth a night or two in a hotel there also, The Beatles story including Mathew Street, Museums, Albert Dock complex, and famous pubs.
Our trail riding trips to IOM are always away from the TT dates, stunning riding in stunning scenery. Plenty of history to see and kippers for breakfast and cod 'n' chips for dinner.
Peel is my favorite area to stay on the West side of the isle, cute harbour and a couple of decent pubs. The local folks are great, no problems at all.
Take a look at the tourist website, there's plenty of info available.
The Manx car rallies are worth seeing too.

T.

Timpo screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 06:56 AM
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote