ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #106
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
I have a couple of n00b questions that I have not found answers for yet, maybe you guys can help... I'm in the process of bringing my 2005 KTM 450 EXC up to street legal. Sicass sells some nice kits for the conversion, but does not list "DOT" for any of the lights they sell. Taskys in Everett tells me that every light must say DOT or E3-11 on it. I suspect that many of the LED lights that various suppliers sell do not meet this requirement. Also, will the stock stator on this bike supply enough juice, or will I need the stator upgrade or AC conversion that everyone seems to suggest anyway? I just read the comment that lights need to work while the bike idles. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance-

almost forgot (because otherwise it didn't happen):
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #107
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701 View Post
I helped write and pass that law and I don't understand that requirement.
Thanks for your efforts in getting this law passed. I've been wanting to ride my dirt bike on the street since I was a kid.

It will be great to be able to do it, without being chased
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #108
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup View Post
You should give up on that XRR project and sell it to me for $1000. They're super hard to kickstart you know.
It's just like a temperamental spouse. Once you figure out EXACTLY what she wants its no problem.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
Old 01-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #109
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
. Sicass sells some nice kits for the conversion, but does not list "DOT" for any of the lights they sell. Taskys in Everett tells me that every light must say DOT or E3-11 on it. I suspect that many of the LED lights that various suppliers sell do not meet this requirement.
The business doing the inspection can add whatever requirement that they feel makes them comfortable signing off on the paperwork.

That said, the law does not require DOT approved lighting, but RCW46.61.705(2) does specify which sections of RCW46.37 must be complied with.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.705

Jeff is a good guy and understands that finding compliance to some of the lighting requirements may be significantly simplified by starting with DOT approved equipment.

Quote:
Also, will the stock stator on this bike supply enough juice, or will I need the stator upgrade or AC conversion that everyone seems to suggest anyway? I just read the comment that lights need to work while the bike idles. Any thoughts?
To properly comply with the law, the lighting requirement must be met at all operation conditions and that includes idle. That is why just DOT approved lights is not always enough.

Jump through the hoops, get a plate and enjoy
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #110
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
I have been plugging away the last couple of weeks on my dual sport conversion. It's starting to come along.

I've been kinda stumped by the fender half way to the axle requirement. Call me picky or whatever but, some of the fender extensions look kinda crappy I think. But then it's a dirt bike so who cares?

Anyway I hacked up the old front fender and made a hugger. I'm thinking about painting it mat black so it doesn't stand out so bad. Do you guy's think my fender will pass inspection?

Sorry, I would not pass your fender. IMO it does not do whats intended.(Keeping rocks out of cars windshields)
What we have been doing is making a fender extension out of rubber, It hangs down a bit behind the license plate and is easy to deal with. It looks fairly decent as well. Easy to do and cheap.

Quote:
I have a couple of n00b questions that I have not found answers for yet, maybe you guys can help... I'm in the process of bringing my 2005 KTM 450 EXC up to street legal. Sicass sells some nice kits for the conversion, but does not list "DOT" for any of the lights they sell. Taskys in Everett tells me that every light must say DOT or E3-11 on it. I suspect that many of the LED lights that various suppliers sell do not meet this requirement. Also, will the stock stator on this bike supply enough juice, or will I need the stator upgrade or AC conversion that everyone seems to suggest anyway? I just read the comment that lights need to work while the bike idles. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance-

almost forgot (because otherwise it didn't happen):
Like Tod mentions there are no requirements for DOT lights, DOT lights might not pass a real test to the #s
Tasky wants to play on the safe side, you cant blame him for that.
Your KTM stator puts out about 80 watts AC, Plenty to do the job with a decent headlight, you can run your blinkers and horn from the battery so no need to get the DC conversion.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #111
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
Sorry, I would not pass your fender. IMO it does not do whats intended.(Keeping rocks out of cars windshields)
What we have been doing is making a fender extension out of rubber, It hangs down a bit behind the license plate and is easy to deal with. It looks fairly decent as well. Easy to do and cheap.
Thanks for your input, I'll make a extension that extends down from the upper fender. The hugger will stay to protect the shock and keep things generally cleaner.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #112
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Thanks for your input, I'll make a extension that extends down from the upper fender. The hugger will stay to protect the shock and keep things generally cleaner.
If you're planning on going off road, be careful with that hugger, could easily fill up with mud and trail debris leading to a locked rear tire.

Most dirt bikes have a fender extension flap type thing hanging down from the inner fender that protects the shock and extends down into the U of the swingarm, surprised the XR does not have one.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #113
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

It did but it was mangled. I was trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #114
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
It did but it was mangled. I was trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.
Ah, I see. The elusive triple kill. Nicely played.

'06 Husqvarna WR125
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #115
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider-boyd View Post
Most dirt bikes have a fender extension flap type thing hanging down from the inner fender that protects the shock and extends down into the U of the swingarm, surprised the XR does not have one.
It had one when it was born.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #116
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
Now that we have reached the new year, apparently we can now plate dirt bikes.. interested to see who's able to actually pull this off and how the inspection at the dealer went..
Here in Kitsap County you can plate anything. I have plated 3 dirt bikes, two of which had no signals, horn, brake lights etc. That being said, you get pulled over by a stater it will cost a lot. On this side of the water, no inspection, period.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #117
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. matteeanne View Post
Here in Kitsap County you can plate anything. I have plated 3 dirt bikes, two of which had no signals, horn, brake lights etc. That being said, you get pulled over by a stater it will cost a lot. On this side of the water, no inspection, period.
Thats the kind of thing that will ruin it for all of us.There was a lot of work put into making the law a reallity.
Thanks Tod and others
An inspection is required anywhere in WA for a converted bike. If someone just passed you threw they didn't do any of us a favor.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #118
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 679
I'm more concerned about people plating and riding around on their loud-as-$hit dirt bikes; "Hey look dude, I just got my KX500 2-smoker plated!"

Less concerned on how "street legal" they are - more that they're reasonably quiet. Excessive noise is what screws it up for us (motorcyclists). Not so much that you aren't street-equipo-completo. You can always work that out with the LEO that wants to take a closer look Doubt the neighbors or non-riding public will be bothered that you don't exactly have a to-the-letter equipment-legal bike.

Of course un-muffled Harleys, as always, are the exception

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #119
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
[QUOTE "Hey look dude, I just got my KX500 2-smoker plated!" ][/QUOTE]

Gotta love generalizations

My KX500 is quieter than a lot of plated bikes I've heard, especially street legal enduros from the factory people put pipes on. 2 stroke noise doesn't carry nearly as far either

And yes, I plan on plating my KX500 supermoto
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #120
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 679
"Hey look dude, I just got my KX500 2-smoker plated!"

Gotta love generalizations

My KX500 is quieter than a lot of plated bikes I've heard, especially street legal enduros from the factory people put pipes on. 2 stroke noise doesn't carry nearly as far either

And yes, I plan on plating my KX500 supermoto
- mcjunky

Okay sorry. How's this? "Hey look, I just got my KX500 2-smoker (insert bike model here) plated!"

No need to get defensive. I think you get my point. I'm very familiar with noise, sound tests, decibel meters, 2t vs 4t sound etc.

Not picking on any KX500 riders. Now KLR riders, well that's another story

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote