Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #76
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,403
I will second most of what Squish said. I think because you are in California you can't get Berryman's B-12 Carb Cleaner. I think I've heard that. If so do get what ever Name Brand Carb cleaner. That is don't get the House Brand, cheaper, carb cleaner. The house brands at the auto supermarket stores sometimes have catchy names to trick us into buying them. Try to figure this out. There are several Name Brand carb cleaners that work better. Gumout is one. I'm not in favor of the type of carb cleaner in a large gallon can for soaking carbs. I had on of these once years ago and it did nothing but make a mess. If you have time and you probably do then use the PineSol soaking method. Find the thread here on AdvRider that explains it all. I think it's in the Garage.

I also like to use WD-40 for cleaning some things. It will clean oily messes off plastic and rubber. It is good for the Aluminum of our engines. Many of us use WD-40 to just spray wholesale on the engines to keep them from oxidizing which looks worse. If you get it on the seat you will have to use soap and water to get it off because a seat too slippery is not good for riding.

I like the Rain X products and they make a car wash that leaves a lightly waxed surface.

Don't use Armour All. For restoring rubber somewhat there is a Mother's product called "Back to Black". It works on all rubber and plastic to restore the original look no mater what color. One small size bottle is enough for quite a while.

Is there an air compressor in the garage? Take a picture if you can and don't forget we keep harping on the tools also. But of course I understand you're busy right now. Good Luck with the finals.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #77
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Don't use Armour All. For restoring rubber somewhat there is a Mother's product called "Back to Black". It works on all rubber and plastic to restore the original look no mater what color. One small size bottle is enough for quite a while.
I've had decent luck with back to black on surfaces that I don't touch. It's great to make the part look good for a little while,
But it doesn't last.

Some people have good luck with Rub & Buff art products for cleaning up alum surfaces. (you can find it at a lot of art supply houses) It has it's place but it can look a little plastic, or fake.

I've just discovered that Fast Orange works really really well at cleaning really dirty chrome wheels.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #78
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
I've had decent luck with back to black on surfaces that I don't touch. It's great to make the part look good for a little while,
But it doesn't last.

Some people have good luck with Rub & Buff art products for cleaning up alum surfaces. (you can find it at a lot of art supply houses) It has it's place but it can look a little plastic, or fake.

I've just discovered that Fast Orange works really really well at cleaning really dirty chrome wheels.
You mean Fast Orange hand cleaner?

I don't like Rub N Buff. It looks good I'll admit. But I think it clogs the pores of Aluminum. It's a principle. Something few around here remember anything about. OK, not that bad but I still won't use it.

I have one troublesome part on the handlebar switches. My bike bing a '75 has an headlight off/on switch on the left. It is Yellow, this one piece of the left switch. It gets Black spots. They look like mold. I have cleaned it with Back to Black but the spots come back. It's the only place I've noticed this sort of discoloration. Any ideas?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #79
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
stop touching it with your dirty hands........
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #80
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,090
Quote:
I will second most of what Squish said. I think because you are in California you can't get Berryman's B-12 Carb Cleaner..
I think I saw Berryman B12 at Autozone yesterday, but maybe I didn't. I've been in touch with Leo and am going to try and get over there in the next few days after his exams are over. First thing we'll do is an inventory and VIN verification so we know we're getting the right parts.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #81
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I think I saw Berryman B12 at Autozone yesterday, but maybe I didn't. I've been in touch with Leo and am going to try and get over there in the next few days after his exams are over. First thing we'll do is an inventory and VIN verification so we know we're getting the right parts.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #82
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
I've been in touch with Leo and am going to try and get over there in the next few days...
Most excellent. An 18 year old "barn find" is one level of fun, but a project bike in some state of reassembly is a whole 'nuther bag of monkeys...

This might just make a good Tech Day(s) project for the locals ABCers.

--Bill
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #83
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,937
Quote:
You mean Fast Orange hand cleaner?
Yup, the wheel was bad and dirty and while cleaning my hand some of it got on the wheel
When I wiped it after it had sat for a while it cleaned it up right quick.
Mind you I didn't look super close to see if it scratched the chrome. But it didn't look like it from pretty close.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #84
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
My first CARB REBUILD! (:

SUCCESS!!!!

Tell me what you think it took a little bit of TLC and it will need a lot more but I flushed the inside with Gumout carb cleaner worked like a charm! The disassembly and reassembly was not to bad a basic level of wrenching skills required but i have that.
and then i did a little cleaning and polishing this is the left side carb :)
Leo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #85
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,192
Shiney! You'll need to meet Melville if you don't stop now!
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #86
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 659
Cool2

CHROME TOPS!
Your Dad had some FLASH, going on.....That is NOT stock.
Keep at it.
You are on a roll!
Still CONGRATULATIONS!
Have Fun!

nice acoustic, in the background...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #87
headtube
6 months of winter!

Oddometer: 218
Nice job... cool guitar.
headtube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #88
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Sweet carbs.

Pull your spark plugs, pour in whatever oil you have on the self and let it sit over the weekend. Then pull the front cover, put a hex key in the rotor bolt and slowly turn the engine over with the spark plugs removed.

Let us know how you progress. This will be a fun project to watch.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #89
Leo562 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Update!!!!

So today I got a charge in a battery from the k1200gt.

I pulled the spark plugs and .... IT TURNED OVER JUST FINE!
I heard it's power for the first time ever I almost had the energy to do a million backflips!
It was so exciting!
There is no feeling like hearing it roar!
So now I need to work on the clutch and the transmission!
Put a little money into getting it painted and possibly re-chrome some things and putting back together piece by piece! :)

I'll update more soon!!!
Leo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #90
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 659
Cool2

Are you stating THAT YOU HAVE STARTED THE ENGINE AND THAT IT RAN ON GASOLINE?