Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #46
Whele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I would have to say if you can afford it, go with aluminum cases. Better security, great protection against water ingress, they make a great camping seat and can withstand huge crashes (although they may deform they can always be knocked back in shape) so your trip can continue

I have Metal Mule boxes which come anodized both inside and outside, they come in very narrow options (31 liters per box) and their pannier racks are indestructible. The boxes are removed by just throwing one lever and when the lids lock down the release lever is locked down too. It takes just one second to remove and to secure the boxes back on the bike. In Slovakia I dropped the bike in a river crossing and even having been submerged for 5 minutes, everything inside was dry. The anodizing prevents the dreaded black aluminum dust when something rubs the inside and the recessed handles mean stuff (loaf of bread or water bladder) can be carried on top of the boxes under the optional cargo top netting. The lids hinge outward and lock at the 180 degree position, which is really useful when loading stuff in and out of the boxes when on the side of the road.

In Morocco one of the boxes took the full impact of a 18 ton bus hitting it at 40km/h, it remained attached to the panier rack and obviously the bike, but although extensively deformed it took 30 minutes with a hammer and bead beaker tool to get it back in shape and fully operational again, including locking securely. The rack did bent slightly from the huge impact, but it was still usable. I guess the movement of the rack is probably what saved to frame of the bike from being damaged, but again and hour with a bench vice and hammer got it back in perfect shape.

Finally, when flying to New Zealand with the boxes last year (to be loaded on a rental bike) they even emerged unscathed from the baggage handlers best destruction attempts. .... but you have to pay for that quality, and at close to 1,000 for the box and rack system - cheap they aren't

Whele screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 10:48 AM
Whele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #47
Beema Killa
Beema Killa

Oddometer: 693
I wasn't even considering these but they are really slick so I bought em. Givi Trekkers. Very versatile. Can replace each piece individually if crashed, move from side to top if you like and a slick opening system. Only one key required. I also use a twisted throttle dry bag for day trips with my rotopax on.
Beema Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersteve View Post
looking at those bashed up Touratechs it's hard to justify ally boxes but i guess the idea is they are bendable and weldable if you are a long way from home,
no one has mentioned or shown the consequences of crashing with the Gobis???
I guess these days there are good quality plastic glues available but only if you can join the breaks?

You're not going to be able to glue HDPE. Sorry. Your best bet is plastic welding.

My wife wadded one of her trail tech aluminum bags in BC. We took it to the nearest ship yard for repair. Not pretty, but it works. I would not go with the flimsy aluminum bags.

My old aluminum Hepco Beckers are much more durable.

I'm currently running the Gobi's on my 990. They are very sturdy. I often see straps around them to take up some play.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,723
Eh?

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote