Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #1351
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
When I finally got back to my old residence in LA I anticipated some shock. Being out on the road, traveling from place to place meant there were no yesterdays. The state of my life for the past six months has been one of constant anticipation--a series of present and near-future moments endlessly rushing at me. I couldn't get my head around all that coming to an end. So I hatched a backup plan: DENIAL! In this instance that translated into not stopping. I planned on heading down to San Diego for a few days while I tried to get my head around what I was going to do next. Prior to that I collided with my former life.

I said at the beginning of the trip that when I left it was a suicide of sorts. That I knew I'd come back different. But I didn't really think about what would happen when my new self returned to the life of the old self. If the trip marked the death of previous me, my return meant I was a ghost returning to the past.

When I finally arrived 'home' I was confronted with four years of accumulated yesterdays. And each of those 'yesterdays' contained no small amount of memories. And each of those memories had mental events attached to them. I knew it'd be a bit of a tangled mess!

Take, for instance, the stairs. While living there, I never thought much about them except, "wow, these would hurt to fall down." But after not seeing them for so long memories of everything from trying to squeeze a king bed down them to sprinting up them, .45 in hand, after the front doors burst open in the middle of the night came flooding back.

The "Orange Surveillance Van" that I had named our wireless network after, just to fuck with our conspiracy-theory neighbors (the punchline was it was their van).

A lamp and a "Faust" painting that should always be inseparable:

Same goes for these:

And then there were a host of far more personal things, like the "Evil Cat" Quadtych I had drawn for my ex that brought far more than memories back:

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't pining away or sobbing on the bathroom floor (especially after seeing the Evil Cat fondling chickens and playing with matches). I wasn't struggling to find meaning in anything, nor was I wrapped around the 'what ifs' of the past. It was more profound than that and it took me until just now, staring at this paragraph, revising over and over, to isolate what I was experiencing: it was a reaction to the realization that actions and efforts may not ever be accumulative; there is a sequence and then the sequence stops. (Hmmm....maybe the only thing that does accumulate are experiences.) It wasn't regret that I was going through--it was the experience of hope lost.

The trees in the backyard that had been nearly destroyed by the Santa Ana winds (the same ones responsible for blasting the front doors open in the middle of the night) while we watched transformers explode from the balcony were now full and lush. Proof enough that life goes on and damage is rarely permanent.

AntiHero screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 09:10 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #1352
flyinturbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Take the personal, irreplaceable stuff, toss it in storage along with a few mementos of your current journey, cut all the anchors free and keep on goin. Plan only the big parts of the next journey and let the rest unfold as you go. Keep the fire stoked under your creative stew and simmer till .... there really is no end to this.
flyinturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #1353
Pepemoto
Road-slicer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3B43 View Post
3 hookers for $1900? Not the two I talked too. They started at $1500.....of course, on a scale of 1-10, they were about 10.5! One of 'me was a 12!!!!!
Barney Stinson, is that you?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #1354
wrecked'em
satisfied enzyte user

Oddometer: 430
thank you so much for the wonderful journey. i have to reread michel critchon travels.
this has really been an insperation to me. thank you very much.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #1355
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
"....the experience of hope lost." Hmmm......................

How many times have I looked back to my 'prior life' and wondered 'what if.....'

What have I learned?

EVERYTHING is definitions! And space junk has a habit of showing up when you least expect it!

Advice? Yeah, look FORWARD! Can't change the past.....you only have control of your future!
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #1356
kneedrag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Service

I believe the 15K service cost just shook me loose from purchasing one of these. My trusty R1200GS doesn't cost me that much even with over 50K miles of travel........
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails- Explore, Dream, Discover"

Mark Twain
kneedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #1357
amanlikemike
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 959
Book Promo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
As always, all of your comments are very much appreciated.

Book is done. Just going through some final edits. :) But before anyone jumps to any conclusions, it's more of a coffee-table book with 60 pages of photos and some quotes from the R/R (and a couple that aren't). I've begun working on a novel, but it's going to take no short amount of time to finish it.

The book (the eye-candy one) will be available for the iPad or in hardback. The problem with the hardback is that printing costs are high. If I was to go to a printer and request X number of copies I'm sure there'd be a significant break in price, but then I'd have to be the one to distribute (hard to do without a mailing address). Plus I don't even know if I'd sell more than 2. I'll consider some other options, but it's taken no small amount of time (and three different mock-ups using three different book making tools) to finally get a finished 'product'.

If anyone would be interested in an e-book of this ride report (with deleted scenes, more commentary, etc.), please PM me so I can have some idea if it's a good or a bad idea.

Next chapter: Southern Californa!
Just been having a catch-up (been out the AH loop for a few). Still going strong I see.

Keep me up-to-date on the progression of the book(s), mate. I'd be really pleased to help you promote and distribute it, in whatever format, via the Kriega Krewe network and my mates in the Industry. Come to think of it, I'm absolutely sure, I could get excerpts published in the UK and US bike media, if you wanted.

I'll PM you my contact details again, in case you want to take me up on this. And - if you feel you have the need - the offer of some gear is still on the table. Just let me know where it shipped.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #1358
Stixx
Fast for an Old Fart

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedrag View Post
I believe the 15K service cost just shook me loose from purchasing one of these. My trusty R1200GS doesn't cost me that much even with over 50K miles of travel........

It doesn't matter what you do this on as long as it is what you want to be on. I get a lot of shit for riding a F 650 GS twin and amit that the name of it pisses me off for some reason, but I don't care because the bike is ME. That is in no small part of just one of the things so compelling about the Anti Hero RR. He rode his ride and overcame , simplified and put the bike where he wanted it to go. Someone once said in a post on another forum far away , just look where you want to go and take your bike with you. Now that is a speed racers idiom but it applies on other levels and describes for me what this guy proves in spades.

That said, the ride report may have make a lull in Stada sales for the Pennigale, but the maintenance report made the case for the MS in my view. Both interesting bikes but I've been jonesin 'for a Strada ever since i demo'd one in Atlanta. With the intervals the same as the penigale but the effort (hours) required to accomplish said maintenance the strada squeaks past the pennigale for those plebean enough as I am to need assurances about outlay. This is from a guy who put 40+K on an R 1200 RT in less than 18 months and spent in the neighborhood of 12K for tires maintenance and parkles at one dealership in the Atlanta area. That was a wake up for me. Adventure be damned I gotta eat and 12 grand put a kink in my plow chain so that was when I popped for the F bike and pretty much do my own maintenance now and before long will even have my own tire changer . I like to ride not spend money so you gotta learn shit and do your own . That is pheasable on a little twin like the F bikes and or older air heads but the Beemers keep getting more and more sophisticated and that means techs need to be called on for maintenance mroe and more.

OK I'm getting too wordy so I'll stop and read some more of this delicious RR and look forward to putting more out of town miles on the little Beemer going forward.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #1359
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Stixx, After 2.5 yrs of lusting, debating, cogitating, you get the pic, I finally bought the bike.....a '12 MultiStrada! I sold a hell'eva nice bike to buy her, but she's a magical m/c!!!!! Did I mention the bike is magical? It's the closest m/c to an angel and to a devil...kind'a of a combination of both (thanks for that line 'Eagles')!

A buddy of mine built his own tire changer and I use it for my changes (the exception is TRACK tires!!!). It does sane $$$!
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 PM   #1360
CanadianLifeGuard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thank You

AntiHero,

You are in fact a true hero to myself and I'm sure many others out there. I've lurked one here for a couple of mouths following your RR. Your ride has been a pleasure to follow and has save my sanity on many a poor day when I couldn't ride. It's truly been an inspirational read and my I'm planing my own version, albeit shorter, when I finish collage. As much as it saddens me that this great ride has come to it's end I feel that I can say, despite having never meet you in the flesh, that you are a better person now then when you left.

If you ever find yourself up in my neck of the woods give me a shout and we'll go for beers, I'm buying.

Cheers
CanadianLifeGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #1361
AntiHero OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
CanadianLifeGuard: I can't tell you how much I appreciate logging on and hearing that somehow, some way my journey was inspirational, motivational or just helped cut through the monotony of a work day. If I can't get to Europe on a motorbike, I'm doing the Pac NW next and I'll take you up on your offer of beers! :)

3B43: Congrats! Pic?

Stixx: "Adventure be damned I gotta eat and 12 grand put a kink in my plow chain" LMAO! The 12g isn't funny, but your way with words is.

amanlikemike: Thanks, Michael. I've been traveling the past few days (and the next few). I'm just a bit behind on VMs and PMs, but I will catch up with you momentarily. I greatly appreciate your offer to help and will ABSOLUTELY take you up on your offer for gear! There are few products made that are truly bomb-proof and the durability of my Kriega bags during this trip were unparalleled.

Sorry, Kneedrag! Figure by the time most people hit 15k it's after 2 years. And by then independent shops will be able to do the service for half what the dealer charges....but yes, it was a bitter pill. Still wouldn't go back and do it on any other bike though.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #1362
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
What an awesome and profoundly enjoyable RR this was. Thank you so much for sharing it
L.B.S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #1363
GeorgiaBound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Your famous

I just saw an article on Hellforleather about your adventure.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #1364
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
From all the ride reports on this page, this has been the one that I have tuned in constantly. I actually left it on the browser and when I got home from work, I'd check for updates. Also have followed you on Twitter (Nickname TjAnttola). This has been such an awesome ride report that its given me inspiration too. Waiting eagerly for your next trip! Have you considered doing an european tour?
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #1365
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 89
Multistrada

The Panigale is a mighty nice bike but I do love my Multistrada. It's even got room for a hammock!

This was from a trip I took up to the North Shore about the time AntiHero was in Minneapolis.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote