User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
bigman99 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Need some California advice

Four guys renting bikes out of LA in early March. We want to ride the coast HWY North to San Fran but may want to go South to avoid crappy weather. If we go south bound, what advice can you guys offer as far as destinations, roads etc. We ride mostly pavement but a short ride through hard dirt/gravel is fine.

Just looking for interesting roads, sites etc.

Thanks
bigman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
HeyWhatever
HTFU !

Oddometer: 243
Octillo Wells near the Salton Sea is BLM land with free camping and plenty of off road riding. I did it a few years ago. Be prepared for heavy winds... other than that it is really beautiful and camping/ riding is FREE!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Josuha Tree Natl Park is cool too...
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
DG K3 1000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Check pashnit.com - it is a site virtually dedicated to roads in California and you can find all you want or need.
DG K3 1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
ohpyramids
Latebird

Oddometer: 56
You may also want to check out some of the butler maps for southern california. Honestly, you could spend a few days enjoying the canyons in los angeles alone!
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,725
Got some time? This will get you started. http://byways.org/explore/states/CA

Then jump into regional/west here on ADV, and ask away. We'll make sure you see the good stuff, and some not-the-good-stuff if need be.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
David13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
That time of year the coast road has the least amount of traffic. So you can enjoy it. But it will not be all warm and toasty, it will be cool and probably a bit rainy.
If you are interested in the coast, probably going north is your best riding bet. If you want deserts, etc., then go inland to Joshua Tree, 29 Palms, Ocotillo Wells, the Agua Caliente hot springs on highway 2 south of Julian (a San Diego county park).
dc
David13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
I second the suggestion of Octillo even on pavement. I went from San Diego out there on my 1200 Bandit and it was awesome in a middle of nowhere open kind of way. Its been a few years, but I cant imagine it has changed much. I cant give you much in the way of highway suggestions since its been awhile, but anything out there should be nice.

Watch out for jack rabbits! I was headed back towards the mountains to get back to the freeway (8) towards San Diego and the shrubbery on the highway started moving in towards the road. I thought to myself "man, not much reaction time here" and literally about 8 seconds later a jack rabbit ran out in front of me and I nearly hit him. Full panic stop and swerve- no good! This was just after dusk, so..

If your looking for twisties, anything in the Julian area is fantastic. Lots of highways to explore. Taking 79 down from Temecula would be a nice highway ride..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
San Diego rides

Big man-

If it looks like you will be heading south, pm me and I can give you a list of routes to take out of San Diego, Imperial County etc. March should be good weather.

You didn't say how much time you will have, but there are at least a weeks worth of rides just in the local area. Hot springs, Slab City, Palomar Mountain, Agua Caliente, Corrizo Gorge and Idyllwild are just a few you can look at. Ocotillo Wells and the Temecula Wine Country as someone already mentioned as well. Don't overlook the coast along San Diego County, the Cabrillo Monument, Sunset Cliffs and Torrey Pines are also worth your time.

Mark
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Death Valley if you want to go fast !!

Try and ride thru Death Valley. Unbelievable scenery and even tho there are posted speed limit's ..well.. lets just say there there are not many bogies there..

Joshua Tree is great too.

Angeles Crest Hwy is a must do but snow at the higher elevations will stop you at Newcombs Ranch or sooner..

Anywhere on PCH is awesome ... Malibu Canyons and of course the "Snake" if you really want to get a knee down..
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
bigman99 OP
n00b

Thanks for all the replies. Going to go through through the links and start to figure out a route.

Awesome stuff.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
bigman99 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rider View Post
Big man-

If it looks like you will be heading south, pm me and I can give you a list of routes to take out of San Diego, Imperial County etc. March should be good weather.

You didn't say how much time you will have, but there are at least a weeks worth of rides just in the local area. Hot springs, Slab City, Palomar Mountain, Agua Caliente, Corrizo Gorge and Idyllwild are just a few you can look at. Ocotillo Wells and the Temecula Wine Country as someone already mentioned as well. Don't overlook the coast along San Diego County, the Cabrillo Monument, Sunset Cliffs and Torrey Pines are also worth your time.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I will pm you next week when I can get the guys I'm riding with together on a general list of what they want to see.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,921
http://goo.gl/maps/DBDXT

There is something for everybody here. Desert, mountains, party, monuments and awesome riding.
There is free camping behind the bar in Ventucopa. Make it a "must stop"