Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #166
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludminger View Post
Hey Lefty!

I sent Sam an e-mail last night inquiring about the GPS tracks. He got back to me pretty quickly to let me know that yes, GPS tracks are available. $20/state. That adds a big chunk to the routing expense, but it did sound like the process you were going through took a ton of time so I think we'll get the more critical states.
Dang, they weren't available,nor did it sound like would ever be available when I purchased my stuff last year. Sorry for that bad info,but good to hear it's now available. Crazy amount of time I put into doing every wp,but worth the effort because it helped me get familiar with the route and where the established camp sites are. I think I may buy his UT,NV,OR gps files since those are the only states where I actual had to "direct" route certain sections that did not show up on the map.
Following his gps files should be soooo much more easy than following the roll charts(which I've decided to leave home).
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #167
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
Dang, they weren't available,nor did it sound like would ever be available when I purchased my stuff last year. Sorry for that bad info,but good to hear it's now available. Crazy amount of time I put into doing every wp,but worth the effort because it helped me get familiar with the route and where the established camp sites are. I think I may buy his UT,NV,OR gps files since those are the only states where I actual had to "direct" route certain sections that did not show up on the map.
Following his gps files should be soooo much more easy than following the roll charts(which I've decided to leave home).
You might want Colorado too as traversing the peaks is quite interesting. Oh, Yes, I had the regular charts/roll maps of yesteryear then purchased the better colored digital maps and roll charts...so I spend quite a bit of $$$ to complement the whole thing. My goal was to get to Colorado...as the rest of the West was too taxing in a enduro sidecar rig. Had a helluva good time dong it.

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #168
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

did you use Sam's gps files when you did your trip
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #169
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
did you use Sam's gps files when you did your trip
No, I didn't. The fellow who rode with me decided to split and but had no maps/roll charts thus ordered them via E-mail while in a Motel. I used what I had...the old maps in conjunction with the newer digital color maps. I did review his downloaded maps. Great stuff..precisely made..pretty exact as mine that I drew onto Montana GPS' BaseCamp and Mapsource.

The guy who used Sam's GPS files went all the way to Port Orford, Oregon with them...and came through fine. Of course he diverted some areas due to sand, rocks...and simply exhaustion!

cheers...

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 08:44 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #170
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashmoto View Post
I'm heading out there late April, planning on doing the full length plus some other stuff (I'm in the US for 12 weeks).

I decided against turning the rollcharts into tracks, for two reasons:

- I've got a 60CSX, and there's no way the whole thing would fit, and I'm not taking a PC, only an android tablet, so can't run Garmin software to switch routes in and out of the internal memory.

- It would have taken an enormously long time.

You can put 20 tracks of 500 points each into the 60. So you could cover the ~3000 mile TAT with track points at about .3 mi interval. This would work fine nearly all the time. You can also put in lots (I don't know how many) of Direct Routes with up to 250 points each if you wanted closer track points.

(I normally navigate long trips with .25 miles between track points.)
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #171
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
Zummo 550- I divided states up into two tracks as it wasn't possible to put one complete state in with all the way points. Just kept them ready in the GPS memory plus on two separate scan disc, plus on the netbook.

I used both roll charts and gps, using both kept me on track
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #172
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Loading multiple / massive tracks

the easy way.

review the discussion in this thread regarding map overlays:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782653

thank me later.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #173
Sludminger
Show me the dirt

Oddometer: 16
Back to logistial questions - are there particular shops along the TAT that are recommneded for tire changes? I suspect we'll be needing new ones around 1,500 miles into it, and again around 3,500.
Sludminger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #174
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludminger View Post
Back to logistial questions - are there particular shops along the TAT that are recommneded for tire changes? I suspect we'll be needing new ones around 1,500 miles into it, and again around 3,500.
The spot in Moab is always mentioned in ride reports. Call ahead so they can special order the exact tire you want.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #175
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
from TN to Moab you'll have no problems getting that out of a set of 606's. There are two places in Moab. Moab Powersports and another place. Call ahead to get the tires and other things you want.

I liked having fresh tires at Moab as this is where things get fun. Well a little before that but a good place to stop. You can do TN and CO with 50/50 tires unless it's muddy. After CO I'd want something a little more aggressive.

OH and again put on new STEEL chain rings and chain before leaving. They will last the complete trip, oil the chain every day.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #176
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 212
I stopped by Moab last August while out for a couple of weeks and bought a new rear tire from Moab Performance Center, they had a Pirelli MT43 in stock and the guys in back did a quick job of mounting it and balanced it way beyond what the old XR usually gets. I stuck a couple of their cards in my wallet and just pulled them out to get the info.

Nice folks and great coffee.

mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #177
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

This I believe will be my new set up. Tank panniers allow me to carry a smaller duffle bag out back.[IMG] photo DSCN2089_zps9fb5e45b.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #178
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
This I believe will be my new set up. Tank panniers allow me to carry a smaller duffle bag out back.
Definitely looks lighter than that duffle you had on the back. Should make the bike feel lighter as well getting the weight forward lowered.

Do your knees hit them at all?

oldtrucks screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 12:42 AM
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #179
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
Definitely looks lighter than that duffle you had on the back. Should make the bike feel lighter as well getting the weight forward lowered.

Do your knees hit them at all?
They do touch a little,but I think the trade off will be worth it. I will probably store my freeze dried food & other food in those.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #180
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Lefty,

See you have your bike for sale in the flea market? Going in a different direction or just a temporary set back? Hope all is well. Have enjoyed hearing about your TAT prep. I have realized that it is not going to happen for me this year either. Too much cost to finish prepping the bike and not enough time available to take off work.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote