Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,277
He was losing it then the bike tumbling end over end broke the swingarm.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
That is exactly what we call a Yard Sale here too.
I have a bunch of those Xrays too.
It looked like rider error for sure, but calling him *#@** stupid is stupid on your part...just cause you won't do that does NOT mean someone else is stupid because they DO do it.
Stuff happens....
We all make mistakes. A minor error sometimes cost alot.

I applaud him for pushing a big bike and not just putting to Starbucks. Get well soon.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Wow.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Ouch... Makes a guy pucker watching that first swing because you know it is only gonna get worse.

Yeah, he was running too hard on some pretty unforgiving terrain (as if none of the rest of us have ever been there!).

Okie Preacher screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 06:00 PM
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
Kingsized
Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Wow! I just relived my accident. Almost the exact same thing happened to me back in November.

My GSA washed out under me, I high sided and flipped the bike several times. I broke the Swing Arm in half just like him and pretty much took everything off the top of my bike just like him. I also had to rebuild the final drive too. He looked like he flipped like I did, sorta diagonally. I think mine broke when the back tire was coming back around and struck the road with the force of the bike pushing it into the dirt. It takes a lot to break a swing arm. Best part, I walked away just like him.

Kingsized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
STUFF2C
Banned

Oddometer: 2,693
moments of hell ya i'm a stud, then fk this is gunna hurt.

been there, done that, have the scar
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 825
Looks like one more reason for a steering dampener. Been there, done that, luckily without the broken swing arm and shaft. High speed on hard pack then all the sudden it got way soft. I couldn't get back on the rear fast enough. Slap left, slap right and next thing I see is the pig bouncing over me. Walked away too, albeit a bit sore.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
That is exactly what we call a Yard Sale here too.
I have a bunch of those Xrays too.
It looked like rider error for sure, but calling him *#@** stupid is stupid on your part...just cause you won't do that does NOT mean someone else is stupid because they DO do it.
Stuff happens....
We all make mistakes. A minor error sometimes cost alot.

I applaud him for pushing a big bike and not just putting to Starbucks. Get well soon.
He was riding over his head. That's stupid. Group of guys with too much testosterone flowing. Not knowing you're over your head is really stupid. Riding over your head that far from help is incredibly stupid.
No I don't just ride to starbucks. But I'm not racing and I don't ride like I am. The farther away I am from help the more conservative I'll be. I save the 'pushing the bike' for the track or a closed course where there's help close by.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #24
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,799
ha ahahah you ain't riding hard unless you crash.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
He was riding over his head. That's stupid. Group of guys with too much testosterone flowing. Not knowing you're over your head is really stupid. Riding over your head that far from help is incredibly stupid.
No I don't just ride to starbucks. But I'm not racing and I don't ride like I am. The farther away I am from help the more conservative I'll be. I save the 'pushing the bike' for the track or a closed course where there's help close by.
+1
I don't know about "a closed course" but a full day's drive away for the ambulance ain't the place to play tough guy.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
ZXMorty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
The high speed get offs really hurt, poor bastard.
ZXMorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
GrouchyGeezer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
I see fairly clear, flat ground. I see the brake light come on, 3 seconds later the bike starts to fishtail. There is a tank slapper and the bike tumbles for about 3 seconds. This doesn't look like a terribly fast crash, perhaps less than 50 mph. I'm guessing by how long the bike tumbles.

Why did he hit the brake? Why did the brake light stay on even after it looks like the rear tire is locked up and sliding? Who knows? But to call the rider stupid is absurd. Depending on the rider's experience all sorts of reflexes can happen; some good, some bad.

You know what stupid is? It's swinging your leg over a motorcycle and riding away. Don't you know it's a lot safer to travel in a cage? Ask your mother, she'll tell ya.

If that was me in the video, and I found that the little rocks didn't deflect the tires too much, I'd be trying for a land speed record.

I'm very happy the rider seem in good shape and spirits.
GrouchyGeezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
It's all fun and games until someone mashes their rear brake, I think he got spooked by the larger diameter rocks, sat down and gave it way too much rear brake in those conditions, probably afraid he would wash out the front tire that was bouncing around. Rookie mistake I've made as well.

Wayyyyyy to sensative and he should take up a different hobby, especially when I saw his mangina in those xrays. Laying there maybe to catch your breath or do a once over to see if anythings twisted the wrong way or protruding bones I can understand but he was clearly milking it, If I pulled that with my riding buddies, they would start digging a hole after 10 and continued on.......just saying.

Glad to see he walked away from it.
Mikehusa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,437
I would get out of that hospital ASAP. It looks horrible. I'm glad I live in America.

Those X-Ray films....I knew a fella who used to go around to the hospitals and collect the acetate X-Ray films, burn them in an oven then reclaim the silver from the ashes...nowadays, that could be very lucrative.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 750
That video is so disorienting to me. Does he edit to a different camera right after the wreck? The bike is to the camera's left when it crashes, the rider with the camera looks to the left at the wreck one time as he stops, then dismounts and runs to the right and there's the wreck.