Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #73141
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I am sitting at a stop light and smoke starts coming out from under the tank! I am just 5 miles from the house so I go when the light changes and it blows away. Then I stop at a few more lights and no smoke. I get it home and shut it off and I don't see where any oil is leaking or anything. But now it won't start. The starter turns it over but it will not run. I really have no idea what to do with it? Should I take the carb apart?
Sounds electrical......better start looking for burnt wiring. And check for spark, that'll tell you right away if its fuel/carb or electrical related.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #73142
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
Re: Tires... since this comes up from time to time anyway...

I like the look of the ED03. I'll have to consider that. I was going to do T63's for my next set of off-road tires. But the Kenda in back... I dunno. I run those on my KLX250S, and while they're great tires, I think they wear out waaaay too damn quick for the KLX... I bet they'd be even worse on the much heavier DR.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #73143
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Re: Tires... since this comes up from time to time anyway...

I like the look of the ED03. I'll have to consider that. I was going to do T63's for my next set of off-road tires. But the Kenda in back... I dunno. I run those on my KLX250S, and while they're great tires, I think they wear out waaaay too damn quick for the KLX... I bet they'd be even worse on the much heavier DR.

Rob
Thats what most of the reviewers on the link to the Kenda said, that they liked the traction, but it wore out too fast. Thats why I won't be running them. I don't mind paying a few dollars more for longer life.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #73144
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
I am sitting at a stop light and smoke starts coming out from under the tank! I am just 5 miles from the house so I go when the light changes and it blows away. Then I stop at a few more lights and no smoke. I get it home and shut it off and I don't see where any oil is leaking or anything. But now it won't start. The starter turns it over but it will not run. I really have no idea what to do with it? Should I take the carb apart?
I had the same issue with my LED aux lighting. The positive wire frayed on the frame and and started smoking. I ended up adding a fuse and replacing all the wires.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #73145
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Yes ... it fits. I think the ED03 is the Bridgestone "Gritty" tire. A really good and tough tire. We used them on long Baja rides. Pretty good ON and OFF road ... but more Off road. Go easy on wet paved corners until you're sure how she sticks ... or doesn't .
Do these last for a while? I'm looking hard at those Mezteler Unicross tires too...thanks!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #73146
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Wow yeah all the wires are burned up and frayed. I unplugged something now the headlight won't com on anymore. I will have to read up. Looks like this is gonna suck lol. I was about to sell it too

Ugh wiring harness 300 bucks really? I think I should take it to a dealer

shaddix screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 06:48 PM
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #73147
shu

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Smoke? Under the tank? I've smelled that before. In this case it was from an F650 Dakar. We put it out with our water bottles but not in time to save the bike.

somewhere in Uzbekistan

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...r+2010&page=15

Time to get some help from someone who knows wiring.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #73148
shaddix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Smoke? Under the tank? I've smelled that before. In this case it was from an F650 Dakar. We put it out with our water bottles but not in time to save the bike.

somewhere in Uzbekistan

..............shu
Yeah it looks something like that lol
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #73149
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
Quote:
Wow yeah all the wires are burned up and frayed. I unplugged something now the headlight won't come on anymore. I will have to read up. Looks like this is gonna suck lol. I was about to sell it too.

Have there been any wiring modifications to your bike? The dealer will be glad to see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post

somewhere in Uzbekistan

..............shu
Holy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttt!!!!! My heart would stop if I saw that mess anywhere near home. But somewhere in Uzbekistan!! Bimmers suck. Glad it wasn't on a DR, my nightmares would start tonight.

I am, however, on shedule to leave for Kalifornia on Friday.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #73150
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Do these last for a while? I'm looking hard at those Mezteler Unicross tires too...thanks!
"Last" is a relative term. For an Off Road tire they hold up very well. But if you run them at high speed on pavement ... they'll probably be gone in less than 2,000 miles.

I'd bet on the T-63 going further for riding more pavement. But the Gritty is far better performing off road. Guys race on these tires. The real deal ... but not really ideal for pavement. I would consider a Gritty front over the T-63. Fronts don't wear out like a rear ... so a front Gritty will work well until you flat spot it on pavement.
At that point ... it's junk. The front is the important tire off road ... especially on the heavy DR650.

The Metzelers are Excellent too!

You can't have everything in ONE tire ....
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #73151
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Wow yeah all the wires are burned up and frayed. I unplugged something now the headlight won't com on anymore. I will have to read up. Looks like this is gonna suck lol. I was about to sell it too

Shop hourly rate varies ... probably between $65 to $90 per hour. Sorting out burnt out wiring harness is very labor intensive ... especially if they give the job to the young apprentice .
I'd guess maybe 8 hours of shop time to re-wire the bike?

You need to find a good friend who likes Beer ... and also knows how to read a wiring harness and use a VOM (volt-Ohm meter) It's not so bad for an experienced electrical guy.

If not too many of your wires are burnt ... just go back in and solder in replacement wires. Try to color match and used same gauge wire. Also, you've got to find what the original problem was ... or the same thing will happen again.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #73152
shaddix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Shop hourly rate varies ... probably between $65 to $90 per hour. Sorting out burnt out wiring harness is very labor intensive ... especially if they give the job to the young apprentice .
I'd guess maybe 8 hours of shop time to re-wire the bike?

You need to find a good friend who likes Beer ... and also knows how to read a wiring harness and use a VOM (volt-Ohm meter) It's not so bad for an experienced electrical guy.

If not too many of your wires are burnt ... just go back in and solder in replacement wires. Try to color match and used same gauge wire. Also, you've got to find what the original problem was ... or the same thing will happen again.

Good luck!
I make 18/hr. New harness is like 300 bucks. Best bet is to just buy and replace it myself?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #73153
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
I make 18/hr. New harness is like 300 bucks. Best bet is to just buy and replace it myself?
Can we get a picture of what your wires look like? If they're all totally trashed, then yeah, you might have to just buy a new wiring harness (check ebay and local wrecker yards first), but if it's only one or two problem wires, soldering and shrinking is going to be fine.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #73154
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
In between studying for some IT exams at work, I finally got the top off my carb again, which would be vastly easier if the seat, side panels, tank, throttle cables, and choke cable didn't have to come off with it. Thanks to all the helpful folks on here, I realized that my white spacer was in the completely wrong place, and I had an unnecessary washer shimming things up as well. I pushed the spacer up to where I had the clip (position 3), made sure everything was snug, and set the washer aside. I put everything back together and let it idle for about 5-7 minutes in the garage just to get up to a temp where it didn't need the choke to maintain smooth idle.
After that, I started playing with the throttle position to see if there were any quickly detectable rough spots. The thing revved like it wanted to be a sport bike and sounded much, much better. There didn't seem to be nearly as much of a hesitation in the throttle, either. Assuming that this fixes the bogging, surging, and extremely poor mileage I've been getting, I'll call it a success. I'm definitely expecting to see some mileage improvements, since the spacer was essentially simulating a needle with the clip at the 75th position or so

Here's to hoping I'm done posting about carbs except to say "hey guys, I finally ordered that TM40"

my specs:
-12,500 miles on carb and engine
- K&N air filter
- Stock exhaust
- Cut airbox
- Non-USA OEM needle from motolab with clip on third position
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #73155
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
Electrical Repairs

It can be difficult to get replacement metric smoke because its so rarely needed, but the Imperial Lucas product is readily available at your local British bike or car shop. It just needs to be suitably massaged to adapt it to the metric application.