Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #73126
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,831
My favorite combo for offroad tires is: (BTW, both are DOT approved)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete

&

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete

in 130/90-17

shop around for price. I've gotten mine from several sources, usually someone has one or the other on sale.

I got a RockyMtnATV $25 gift card for renewing my BlueRibbon Coalition, and a $10 card for renewing my AMA membership. so that's likely where I will source my next set. Had good luck w/ Bob's Cycle Supply also.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #73127
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
That is interesting, I haven't heard of pinging on a stock setup. Thought I read up on this one pretty thorough before going forward but didn't see any of those. Did you see that on ADV or somewhere else?

I added some octane boost to get through this tank and it helped. The only time I got pinging was when my oil temps exceeded 270 for a moment.

I did not see anywhere else that people had to adjust timing for the HC piston. So I'm tempted to leave that as a last resort.
How about just going with High Octane pump gas? Might be enough?
The high temps are probably due to tight tolerances of your new High comp piston breaking in? Maybe a bit more cylinder honing required? Dunno.

I've not heard of any pinging reported among our little seven bike DR650 cadre. (all stock motors) My own DR (stock) has consumed lots of really crap Baja fuel out of rusty 55 gal drums. A nasty slurry of gas, water, Diesel and rust. I always try to get them to decant it into clear jugs so I see what I'm getting. It ain't pretty ... but the mighty DR ran fine ... no pinging ... even in 100F heat of Southern Baja.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #73128
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Just recently picked up a DR650, of course, and was wondering about a specific tire to see if it will fit on the front...

I'm not sure if a 3.00-21 would fit in a Bridgestone ED03..anyone know?

Thanks!
Yes ... it fits. I think the ED03 is the Bridgestone "Gritty" tire. A really good and tough tire. We used them on long Baja rides. Pretty good ON and OFF road ... but more Off road. Go easy on wet paved corners until you're sure how she sticks ... or doesn't .
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #73129
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,365
Nothing earth shattering

but still posting for those with winter boredom.
7k on my 2012 now. This sample taken between 6 and 7k miles.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #73130
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,365
And for a comparo

From my 07' with close to the same mileage taken in 2011. This was actually 1 quart 10w40 and 1 quart 20w50 Amsoil. Hence the higher Viscos

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #73131
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
I am sitting at a stop light and smoke starts coming out from under the tank! I am just 5 miles from the house so I go when the light changes and it blows away. Then I stop at a few more lights and no smoke. I get it home and shut it off and I don't see where any oil is leaking or anything. But now it won't start. The starter turns it over but it will not run. I really have no idea what to do with it? Should I take the carb apart?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #73132
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I am sitting at a stop light and smoke starts coming out from under the tank! I am just 5 miles from the house so I go when the light changes and it blows away. Then I stop at a few more lights and no smoke. I get it home and shut it off and I don't see where any oil is leaking or anything. But now it won't start. The starter turns it over but it will not run. I really have no idea what to do with it? Should I take the carb apart?
Pull the seat and tank and check the wiring...
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #73133
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Sounds electrical......better start looking for burnt wiring. And check for spark, that'll tell you right away if its fuel/carb or electrical related.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #73134
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,128
Re: Tires... since this comes up from time to time anyway...

I like the look of the ED03. I'll have to consider that. I was going to do T63's for my next set of off-road tires. But the Kenda in back... I dunno. I run those on my KLX250S, and while they're great tires, I think they wear out waaaay too damn quick for the KLX... I bet they'd be even worse on the much heavier DR.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #73135
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Re: Tires... since this comes up from time to time anyway...

I like the look of the ED03. I'll have to consider that. I was going to do T63's for my next set of off-road tires. But the Kenda in back... I dunno. I run those on my KLX250S, and while they're great tires, I think they wear out waaaay too damn quick for the KLX... I bet they'd be even worse on the much heavier DR.

Rob
Thats what most of the reviewers on the link to the Kenda said, that they liked the traction, but it wore out too fast. Thats why I won't be running them. I don't mind paying a few dollars more for longer life.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #73136
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
I had the same issue with my LED aux lighting. The positive wire frayed on the frame and and started smoking. I ended up adding a fuse and replacing all the wires.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #73137
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Yes ... it fits. I think the ED03 is the Bridgestone "Gritty" tire. A really good and tough tire. We used them on long Baja rides. Pretty good ON and OFF road ... but more Off road. Go easy on wet paved corners until you're sure how she sticks ... or doesn't .
Do these last for a while? I'm looking hard at those Mezteler Unicross tires too...thanks!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #73138
shaddix
Banned

Wow yeah all the wires are burned up and frayed. I unplugged something now the headlight won't com on anymore. I will have to read up. Looks like this is gonna suck lol. I was about to sell it too

Ugh wiring harness 300 bucks really? I think I should take it to a dealer

shaddix screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 07:48 PM
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #73139
shu

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Smoke? Under the tank? I've smelled that before. In this case it was from an F650 Dakar. We put it out with our water bottles but not in time to save the bike.

somewhere in Uzbekistan

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...r+2010&page=15

Time to get some help from someone who knows wiring.

..............shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #73140
shaddix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Smoke? Under the tank? I've smelled that before. In this case it was from an F650 Dakar. We put it out with our water bottles but not in time to save the bike.

somewhere in Uzbekistan

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...r+2010&page=15

Time to get some help from someone who knows wiring.

..............shu
Yeah it looks something like that lol