ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #9031
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Glad you had a good time mike but we never made it to the good stuff. Maybe next time.
REALLY?!?!? Now I'm really excited cuz I had a blast on our little run! Going to have to get some better tires on Godzilla cuz pinching pennies trying to wear out my Perelli Skorpions is going to end up costing me $$$$ in damages (actually it already has) to my bike from trying to off road a street tire.

Here are the first two videos I've got up on Youtube from our ride. I didn't take any still shots as I don't know how to post them. I have a hard time with anything more complicated than a hammer or shovel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGk3i5vj3Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0WuU8zYUYs

I'll post all the footage I have thats any good of our ride on Youtube but, my Gopro houseing condensed moisture inside it right in front of the lens. A large portion of our ride is just too blurry to post but, I did notice the problem & wipe it up so I got some footage towards the end that was good as well.

Wallachian Spikes screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:12 AM
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #9032
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,976
Nice Vids Barry!

I too will be getting more agressive tires soon. I liked the SR244 on my old bike, I think I'll probably give those a whirl again.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #9033
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,243
Been watching ya'll vids.
Looks like some good fun riding.
TJ650 - Hopefully you can play tour guide again once it warms up a touch
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #9034
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Been watching ya'll vids.
Looks like some good fun riding.
TJ650 - Hopefully you can play tour guide again once it warms up a touch
It is fun, and there is nothing too tough. A full grown ADV bike can travel 90% of roads, and probably 100% if it has a chance to dry out.

If we talk real nice to, or maybe threaten, SandalScout, I'll bet we would put together a weekend based out of Energy Lake. Big bikes, little bikes, FJ's (RTL) It could be an epic weekend. I have threatened to get something together for a couple of years, but I'm just too lazy....I mean..., busy, to set a date.

We did not make it to the North end (because some JACKASS decided to run over a piece of BARBWIRE) but I feel like there is much more riding up there. Treemuncher had a great route laid out. Wal-Spikes first video is the warm-up on a Lake Barkley high speed dirt road. The first non-paved LBL road we hit was a great opener. I've been on it a few times before, but this was the first it was open all the way through.

Oh yea, one of the roads just North of Piney Campground has been freshly paved. If you have a street bike, GET THERE! That's all I have to say about that. Trust me!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #9035
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 277
Troy,

You and the other inmates have been invited to FerrySTOC4 as I mentioned on this past weekend's ride. Like I said, it would be nice to have a showing of the ADV guys attend this year's event. You do NOT need to ride a sport touring bike to attend. I would like to offer some mixed ADV style rides for the big bore ADV bikes as well as the sport touring loops. A RTE will be held at Lambert's Throwed Rolls in Sikeston, MO again this year as last year's reviews were a hit.

The link to the event is here: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-Landing-SP-TN

All I ask is that anyone wanting to attend signs up on that site's attendee list. You get FREE camping for doing so!

Camping is provided by the Paris Landing Tourism League and all we ask is that you try to make your purchases local when in the area.

If this coming Sunday is nice enough, I might be up for another ride. I would be interested in doing a ride down into Houston Co and then cross the ferry over to Benton Co. I'm thinking that it would be a good ride for the Tenere and similar bikes. No single track but plenty of gravel roads that I can put us on.

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #9036
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
Troy,

You and the other inmates have been invited to FerrySTOC4 as I mentioned on this past weekend's ride. Like I said, it would be nice to have a showing of the ADV guys attend this year's event. You do NOT need to ride a sport touring bike to attend. I would like to offer some mixed ADV style rides for the big bore ADV bikes as well as the sport touring loops. A RTE will be held at Lambert's Throwed Rolls in Sikeston, MO again this year as last year's reviews were a hit.

The link to the event is here: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-Landing-SP-TN

All I ask is that anyone wanting to attend signs up on that site's attendee list. You get FREE camping for doing so!

Camping is provided by the Paris Landing Tourism League and all we ask is that you try to make your purchases local when in the area.

If this coming Sunday is nice enough, I might be up for another ride. I would be interested in doing a ride down into Houston Co and then cross the ferry over to Benton Co. I'm thinking that it would be a good ride for the Tenere and similar bikes. No single track but plenty of gravel roads that I can put us on.
Hey Treemuncher, keep me posted I may be up for getting the GS out this Sunday if it warms up a little.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #9037
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
...If we talk real nice to, or maybe threaten, SandalScout, I'll bet we would put together a weekend based out of Energy Lake. Big bikes, little bikes, FJ's (RTL) It could be an epic weekend....
Troy, either you're completely writing me off of two wheels cause my bike is "too purdy", or just want/need a packrat/sag wagon. But you're right. Either rig would be a blast (and I could carrry all the beer!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
Might be in for a Sunday trek. Haven't checked the weather yet though. Might mess with my forks on Sat (new springs/heavier oil), shake-down on Sunday. If a middle heavyweight is suitable.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640

ride2little screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 04:33 PM
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #9038
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Troy, either you're completely writing me off of two wheels cause my bike is "too purdy", or just want/need a packrat/sag wagon. But you're right. Either rig would be a blast (and I could carrry all the beer!).
(also, we'll need something to drag all the wrecked bikes back to the campsite. hehehe....)

OK, we've got March Moto Madness soon, and FerrySTOC in May (my fingers are crossed for that one, TM), is early April too soon? Is June too late? I'd like to get both bikes there and switch between the two.

I like riding the V- at LBL, when it's dry. I've said it before, if it hits the ground you'll find me in the corner sobbing like a bride left at the alter. The DRZ was built for running hard and knows how to fall down and get back up with little or no damage. The V-Strom could cost $200-$300 in repairs just for bumping into a tree. It ain't as tough as that 800 for tumbling down a fencerow.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #9039
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
(also, we'll need something to drag all the wrecked bikes back to the campsite. hehehe....)

OK, we've got March Moto Madness soon, and FerrySTOC in May (my fingers are crossed for that one, TM), is early April too soon? Is June too late? I'd like to get both bikes there and switch between the two.

I like riding the V- at LBL, when it's dry. I've said it before, if it hits the ground you'll find me in the corner sobbing like a bride left at the alter. The DRZ was built for running hard and knows how to fall down and get back up with little or no damage. The V-Strom could cost $200-$300 in repairs just for bumping into a tree. It ain't as tough as that 800 for tumbling down a fencerow.

I wanna ride LBL. Heading to Big Bend next weekend and MMM taking my time until it's over from there, but after that I'd like to get in on this. Missed it last weekend. bummer.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #9040
ihatefalling
Let it roll

The dog was outside barking his head off . . . . . yuck

Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #9041
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev95GS View Post

I wanna ride LBL. Heading to Big Bend next weekend and MMM taking my time until it's over from there, but after that I'd like to get in on this. Missed it last weekend. bummer.
LBL is fun. Been up there a couple of times by myself getting lost and finding some pretty cool area's. Never been up there with anyone in the know.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #9042
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
LBL is fun. Been up there a couple of times by myself getting lost and finding some pretty cool area's. Never been up there with anyone in the know.
Following Troy or TreeMuncher is even better!

Troy, I think late April or Early June could be just about perfect and should work around other events. I've got a few things going on in April and June that will put we out of state for a week in each month, but let's get something rolling!

Randy, I'm going to try to make it to FerrySTOC 4. Doesn't look like there is much reason I can't, unless something comes up at work! Looks fun!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #9043
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:

Thats one ugly dog.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #9044
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #9045
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 702
Quote:

He looks like he's got some LED lights on his undercarriage.