ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #73126
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Do these last for a while? I'm looking hard at those Mezteler Unicross tires too...thanks!
"Last" is a relative term. For an Off Road tire they hold up very well. But if you run them at high speed on pavement ... they'll probably be gone in less than 2,000 miles.

I'd bet on the T-63 going further for riding more pavement. But the Gritty is far better performing off road. Guys race on these tires. The real deal ... but not really ideal for pavement. I would consider a Gritty front over the T-63. Fronts don't wear out like a rear ... so a front Gritty will work well until you flat spot it on pavement.
At that point ... it's junk. The front is the important tire off road ... especially on the heavy DR650.

The Metzelers are Excellent too!

You can't have everything in ONE tire ....
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #73127
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams
 
Adv Grifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Passing ADV Stalkers in California
Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Wow yeah all the wires are burned up and frayed. I unplugged something now the headlight won't com on anymore. I will have to read up. Looks like this is gonna suck lol. I was about to sell it too


Ugh wiring harness 300 bucks really? I think I should take it to a dealer
Shop hourly rate varies ... probably between $65 to $90 per hour. Sorting out burnt out wiring harness is very labor intensive ... especially if they give the job to the young apprentice .
I'd guess maybe 8 hours of shop time to re-wire the bike?

You need to find a good friend who likes Beer ... and also knows how to read a wiring harness and use a VOM (volt-Ohm meter) It's not so bad for an experienced electrical guy.

If not too many of your wires are burnt ... just go back in and solder in replacement wires. Try to color match and used same gauge wire. Also, you've got to find what the original problem was ... or the same thing will happen again.

Good luck!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #73128
shaddix
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central AL
Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Shop hourly rate varies ... probably between $65 to $90 per hour. Sorting out burnt out wiring harness is very labor intensive ... especially if they give the job to the young apprentice .
I'd guess maybe 8 hours of shop time to re-wire the bike?

You need to find a good friend who likes Beer ... and also knows how to read a wiring harness and use a VOM (volt-Ohm meter) It's not so bad for an experienced electrical guy.

If not too many of your wires are burnt ... just go back in and solder in replacement wires. Try to color match and used same gauge wire. Also, you've got to find what the original problem was ... or the same thing will happen again.

Good luck!
I make 18/hr. New harness is like 300 bucks. Best bet is to just buy and replace it myself?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #73129
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I make 18/hr. New harness is like 300 bucks. Best bet is to just buy and replace it myself?
Can we get a picture of what your wires look like? If they're all totally trashed, then yeah, you might have to just buy a new wiring harness (check ebay and local wrecker yards first), but if it's only one or two problem wires, soldering and shrinking is going to be fine.
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #73130
neo1piv014
ADV in training
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 619
In between studying for some IT exams at work, I finally got the top off my carb again, which would be vastly easier if the seat, side panels, tank, throttle cables, and choke cable didn't have to come off with it. Thanks to all the helpful folks on here, I realized that my white spacer was in the completely wrong place, and I had an unnecessary washer shimming things up as well. I pushed the spacer up to where I had the clip (position 3), made sure everything was snug, and set the washer aside. I put everything back together and let it idle for about 5-7 minutes in the garage just to get up to a temp where it didn't need the choke to maintain smooth idle.
After that, I started playing with the throttle position to see if there were any quickly detectable rough spots. The thing revved like it wanted to be a sport bike and sounded much, much better. There didn't seem to be nearly as much of a hesitation in the throttle, either. Assuming that this fixes the bogging, surging, and extremely poor mileage I've been getting, I'll call it a success. I'm definitely expecting to see some mileage improvements, since the spacer was essentially simulating a needle with the clip at the 75th position or so

Here's to hoping I'm done posting about carbs except to say "hey guys, I finally ordered that TM40"

my specs:
-12,500 miles on carb and engine
- K&N air filter
- Stock exhaust
- Cut airbox
- Non-USA OEM needle from motolab with clip on third position
__________________
_________________________
Ride videos
'01 DR650
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #73131
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer
 
BergDonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Snowy Mountains Oz
Oddometer: 3,679
Electrical Repairs

It can be difficult to get replacement metric smoke because its so rarely needed, but the Imperial Lucas product is readily available at your local British bike or car shop. It just needs to be suitably massaged to adapt it to the metric application.

__________________
shed time IS quality time
BergDonk's DR650 BergDonk's XT1200Z
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #73132
1989THEARK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
1989THEARK's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Moreno Valley Ca
Oddometer: 346
You make 18 an hour and will be paying 600 dollars if you dont find the problem the FIRST time.

i've replaced a few wiring harnesses myself in cars.

if it turns out the charging system is what melted the wiring harness in the first place you run the risk of not only burning a few wires.

but setting the bike on fire.

your choice. But if you set the bike on fire. can i have your foot pegz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I make 18/hr. New harness is like 300 bucks. Best bet is to just buy and replace it myself?
1989THEARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #73133
shaddix
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central AL
Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Can we get a picture of what your wires look like? If they're all totally trashed, then yeah, you might have to just buy a new wiring harness (check ebay and local wrecker yards first), but if it's only one or two problem wires, soldering and shrinking is going to be fine.
The harness is all melted together in two places, I can take pics this weekend





Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989THEARK View Post
You make 18 an hour and will be paying 600 dollars if you dont find the problem the FIRST time.

i've replaced a few wiring harnesses myself in cars.

if it turns out the charging system is what melted the wiring harness in the first place you run the risk of not only burning a few wires.

but setting the bike on fire.

your choice. But if you set the bike on fire. can i have your foot pegz?
Yeah I'm just gonna take it to a dealer ._.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #73134
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine
 
Carl Childers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
It can be difficult to get replacement metric smoke because its so rarely needed, but the Imperial Lucas product is readily available at your local British bike or car shop. It just needs to be suitably massaged to adapt it to the metric application.

Ah Lucas, Prince of darkness!
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #73135
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Do these last for a while? I'm looking hard at those Mezteler Unicross tires too...thanks!
I ride a mix of true offroad trails and gravel roads. 80 -90% And the rest tar. I typically trailer my DR650 to the area I'm gonna ride. I get about 2500 miles out of the Kenda Trakmaster rear and maybe 3500-4K from the ED-03.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Best bet is to just buy and replace it myself?
I also had a wire harness fire. ended up putting in a used harness. (check ebay or other DR forums first) It was not to hard, but a bit of advice. I started at one end of the bike and worked my way to the other end unhooking and re-connecting as I went, so I could replicate the routing, which is important because of things like where the tank goes etc. best of luck. you can do it!
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #73136
Richguzzi
Adventurer
 
Richguzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
The harness is all melted together in two places, I can take pics this weekend

Yeah I'm just gonna take it to a dealer ._.

Bring plenty of lube....

You should at least investigate whether those two spots are completely melted together or the sheathing is just melted all up due to one or two wires overheating. Could be an easy and far cheap solution to splice in some new wires and connections.
__________________
2012 DR 650
1986 Cagiva Alazzurra Tracker/Fighter/Cafe/Brat/Bobber project
1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Slow old grey haired guys with arthritis and other ailments rule!
Richguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #73137
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 9,345
There are several DR650 wire harnesses on ebay. Ex: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiring-harne...020ca2&vxp=mtr
__________________
on one side the sign it said "Private Road", but on the other side it didn't say nothin'
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #73138
Sic Semper Tyrannis
.
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I make 18/hr. New harness is like 300 bucks. Best bet is to just buy and replace it myself?
You have comp on your insurance? Fire is a covered loss in most policies. The original individual part that failed likely won't be covered but all the resulting damage would be.
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #73139
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic semper tyrannis View Post
you have comp on your insurance? Fire is a covered loss in most policies. The original individual part that failed likely won't be covered but all the resulting damage would be.
+1
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
Amazballs Indi-music at https://soundcloud.com/sprunty2000/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #73140
MikeyP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
Well I guess that disqualifies the bike from the possibility of being the "definitive" candidate for tuning demonstration.
I hate to kick up a contentious subject once it's started to calm down a bit but in catching up with everything I've missed over the past couple weeks while work took over my life, I noticed that there was talk of Derek looking for a local candidate for some DR650 tuning tests. In case my reply was missed when this was discussed in December:

"I'm not sure what tests you'd like to run, but I'll offer up my bike in the name of science. I live only a short drive away in SF and I have ~16K miles on the odo, GSXR exhaust, Kientech midpipe, stock header pipe with ground weld, open top air box with K&N filter (also have the stock filter on hand), relatively fresh spark plugs, fuel filter, DJ kit, and only ~1500 miles on the slides in the carb. I bought those from you just a few months ago Derek at the same time I did a complete carb rebuild. I also have on hand an mx_rob FCR that I've been trying to find time to install. I could bring that along or come back after I install it to see what numbers change if that interests you."

The only thing I'd add based on recent discussions is that I do not have a non-USA OEM needle available.

-Mike
MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015