Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #572
VTWIN-The Real VTWIN
ZEPHYR

Oddometer: 56
What were the Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
Hi guys, I've had my hip replacement for 4 years now,and I have some issues starting. With all the news about metal on metal hips, my doctor decided to check me for heavy metals. The blood test came back and I have 3 times normal Cobalt, and 5 times normal level Chromium. My othropedic surgeon is doing some research on this but he's in the dark also. He is contacting a hemotologist to find out how much of a problem this is. My hip is not the one that was recalled ,but it is doing the same thing the recalled one is. I sugest that all of you that have metal on metal hips get your blood levels checked for cobalt and chromium just to be on the safe side. Rod
I am metal on metal as well and would like to know what you are experiencing. I am two years post op.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 AM   #573
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,716
Quote:
I started having problems with my vision and I developed tinitius ( ringing of the ears) , I have been quite fatigued most of the time, and some deep pain around my hip. So i talked to my family doctor, and he thought that with all the recalls and problems with MOM hips, that it would be a good idea to test for heavy metals. The blood tests confirmed that my cobalt level was 3 times normal and chromium was 5 times normal. As far as walking there is some pain once in a while but not steady. If I stand for a while it get very stiff, an it feels like a cramp around the sugerey area. ass it turns out metal poising from these metals causes the very problems I am having, at least thats what I have found on the internet. My hip surgeon is looking into it and is talking to a hemotoligst to find out how to deal with this. I post more when i know something. Rod
Yikes.

I have some of the things you've described, but I've always attributed them to my nasty, physical job. Looks like I might need to get some blood work done for peace of mind.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #574
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Oddometer: 329
My surgeon had concerns about metal on metal four years ago when I had my "installation" done. He advised me to go with metal on "plastic" back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERPECKER View Post

l believe there are basically 3 types of total hip replacements:

1) metal ball - metal socket
2) ceramic ball - ceramic socket
3) metal ball - "plastic" socket

My surgeon used the "metal ball - plastic socket" type for the following reasons:

1) Ceramic on ceramic has been known to break and has a tendency to squeak.

2) Metal on metal is relatively new. It is believed that as the joint wears, metal isotopes will enter the blood stream. My surgeon advised me that I would have to have my blood monitored until such a time that the long term effects of this "foreign" metal was ascertained.

3) Went with metal (some sort of cobalt alloy I believe) ball and "plastic" socket. This joint has stood the test of time. Its failing in the past has been the durability/life expectancy of the plastic socket. My doctor told me the latest polymers used in the socket implanted in my hip should last 20 years if not my lifetime. I guess only time will tell.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #575
rattlinjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Struth, there is some interesting information emerging from this thread.
I'm on the waiting list for a hip replacement, here in Newcastle Australia.
I saw my surgeon, a couple of months ago, he didn't mention any alternatives or varieties of procedure and hardware...
I think I'll have to go back to my GP and ask some questions.
The surgeon wont see me again until day of surgery, I could be going in for the op at any time now..
rattlinjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #576
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 594
Here's a link to an animation of what I had done, the Direct Anterior Approach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJK9tdSsQY

In the USA it can be hard to find a doc that does it this way and a hospital with the right equipment but it's worth investigating. Recovery time is usually just 6 weeks without a life time of movement restrictions, like not crossing your legs. The only thing I've been told to never do again is run.

A little less than six weeks later and I'm walking around like it never happened. In a couple of days I leave on a week long trip to Colorado. My brain has finally figured out there's no more pain when doing this or that. I feel like a kid again.

I have a ceramic ball and plastic cup, at least that's what my wife remembers the doc saying. I can't remember much about anything. Probably has something to do with the IV morphine pump and my thumb on the button.

2013 Super Tenere
2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #577
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 965
One year after bilateral, anterior, hip surgery. Some aches but, the pain is much less than prior to surgery. Used Stryker ceramic on ceramic.
Not running or doing any long hikes (26miles) like I used to. If I didnt have the scars it wouldnt occur to me that the surgery had been done.

Still taking a few Ibuprofen for arthritis. Riding...had a couple low speed get offs in the dirt...no issues. Havent been back on the surfboard yet. Cant get the vision of the leash dislocating the hip out of my head. Yeah I'm chicken. Not much good summer surfing in NH this summer anyway. I'll get back out but not in the winter when the waves are double overhead.

60 and getting younger all the time....retired.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #578
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Everyone still hanging in there? Any problems or mishaps? Things to be aware of?

Just saw this in the news.

FDA Seeking Stricter Regulations for Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants, Parker Waichman LLP Reports

http://news.yahoo.com/fda-seeking-st...212224644.html

BEEMERPECKER screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 09:48 AM
BEEMERPECKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #579
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Miine seems alright but I have had some pain around the hip for the last year or so. I underwent a bunch of tests andeverything is normal ( blood levels, bone density, replacemment ect) I haven't been strecthing or exercising other than walking so that is most likely the problem.......
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #580
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 679
That sucks, man. Hang in there.

Jason
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #581
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEMERPECKER View Post
Everyone still hanging in there? Any problems or mishaps? Things to be aware of?

Just saw this in the news.

FDA Seeking Stricter Regulations for Metal-on-Metal Hip Implants, Parker Waichman LLP Reports

http://news.yahoo.com/fda-seeking-st...212224644.html
This really isn't "news". Its a law firm trolling for clients. These lawyers share the same hard on that the NYT has for depuy ASR. They are lumping all metal on metal with a few recalled devices.

That said, I hope everybody does ok with the metal ion issues.

Rod, did they give you any options or input on what they revise with?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #582
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
This really isn't "news". Its a law firm trolling for clients. These lawyers share the same hard on that the NYT has for depuy ASR. They are lumping all metal on metal with a few recalled devices.

That said, I hope everybody does ok with the metal ion issues.

Rod, did they give you any options or input on what they revise with?
I went in for blood work last Fall, and my ion count was pretty high, so the Dr. ordered the 24-hour-fill-the-huge-jug-with-piss test to see if my kidneys were functioning normally. They are, so all is well.

I've been in contact with the ortho department at UC Davis, where I had my hip done, just to be certain that I'm not a candidate for any revision surgery. All clear so far, and no issues with pain or limits on movement. so for the time being I'm a happy cat.

My wife and I are going to start a major lifestyle change with food in about a month, and I hope to see a significant weight loss as a result. I'm currently 6'2" and 270 lbs., and i can't help but believe that a reduction of 30-40 of those pounds could be anything but good. It'll help at work, too. I do tires for a living, and having a bit more flexibility will be a nice change.

Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #583
3Putt
Is that a gimmie?

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Biomet has a fix for the MOM hip, they replace the metal ball with some sort of plastic one. It's a fix they came up with for the Magnum hip replacement. Biomet had a rep there in 15 minutes to talk with me and the surgeon and explained it all to me. So they know they have a problem and have been proactive in fixing it. They leave the stem in the femur, and the cup in the pelvis, the only thing they change is the ball, unless there is a problem when they get in there. The surgeon said this sugery should be a lot easier on me than the first one, I sure hope so.

Just to be fair, they have stoped putting ALL mom hips replacements in, Biomet hasn't been recalled yet but I think they all will.
Who's paying for it?

2013 Super Tenere
2014 Super Tenere
3Putt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #584
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 965
hip surgery revision

Good luck and a speedy recovery.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #585
BEEMERPECKER
Just Lookin'

Quote:
Going in for surgery on the 6th of Feb., I hope this revision works!!! I am not looking forward to this, but I think it's better to do it now, rather than later.
Hoping everything goes well for you. With a little luck you'll be home in time for happy hour Friday. A couple of Jacks and oxycontins should take the edge and put you right to sleep.