User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
Big Spag OP
ONESPEED

Oddometer: 102
ATM's in Baja

What towns currently have ATM's that work?

Puertecitos?
Bahia Gonzaga?
Catavina?
Bahia LA?
San Ignacio?
Guerro Negro?
Santa Rosalia?
Mulege?
El Rosario?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Probably none of the above..................I have been going south for over 20+ years and the only large icties that might have them are Ensenada, Loreto, La Paz and Cabo. However, check with the local banks in the smaller cites and you just might get lucky. Remember that when going to an ATM you are going to be charged a fee that might be unknown to you, plus when you get the money your bank is charging you at a current market rate for the peso, but it might not be the day that you bought the cash............It is a crap shoot for the exchange rate.

Try carrying US money and changing it at banks or money exchanges which might be a better place to check about ATMs. I have found that having Pesos is usually better for at least buying gas since each town and gas station even though PEMEX have different exchage rates. Take a calculator with you and always ask what the combia (exchange) rate is for dollars versus pesos. Plus check that the gas station attendant always zeros the pump before putting gas in you vehicle and you see it.

Hope that helps you out and gives you some food for thought.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Spag View Post

Puertecitos?
Bahia Gonzaga?
Catavina?
Bahia LA?
San Ignacio?
Guerro Negro?
Santa Rosalia?
Mulege?
El Rosario?
Guerrero Negro, Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, San Quintin, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz, Cabo. You can pay for gas with ATM in El Rosario. I don't know about the other towns...when you get to an ATM withdraw Pesos, not Dollars!. You get the best exchange rate at ATMs, than if you go to an exchange place...
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,882
Locals need pesos too....I've never had a problem finding a Bancomer, Banamex or ATM with another bank. I've stayed away from free standing ATM's. The Cambias will exchange money but rates are not as good, sometimes fees are higher at different bancos.

San Felipe, San Igancio, Mulege, Loreto, Walmart in La Paz, Constitucion, even San Juanico if memory serves. Just ask a local for the Banco, they have to get cash for themselves. Just don't count on using a credit card in the small businesses or towns because they can't process them......

Search is your friend: http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/ATMLocations.html
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,354
The atm's can get hit pretty hard on the weekends too.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Spag View Post

Puertecitos?
Bahia Gonzaga?
Catavina?
Bahia LA?
San Ignacio?
Guerro Negro?
Santa Rosalia?
Mulege?
El Rosario?
San Felipe has three banks, get cash there before heading to Gonzaga. I don't remember seeing anything in Bay of LA. Guerra Negro should. I do know that there is a small bank in Mulege.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,864
Anywhere there's much shopping going on there's $$$ to be had in Baja. Make certain to call the place that issues your card to state how long & where you'll be traveling. We even have it down to a certain person @ our credit union & a call to her, specifically!!! from problems of far from home and no cash on past trips abroad.
Get more $$$ than you'll need for just one day as they do run out(as stated) on weekends & holidays plus there may be a scam going on in the country traveling to & they sometimes block cards to "protect you"-really meaning them , as they have to cover the loss after a certain amt.. Small hotels & food & Pemex will often want cash only. The rate will be the best of your choices. Split money so all is never lost. Break large bills(meaning 200/500 peso notes) @ Pemex stops as its a poor country & local business don't carry much change.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,063
Although most (if not all) Pemex stations will accept dollars, you will lose a lot in the exchange rate. Many of the pump attendants make extra money off of the difference between the exchange rate he charges you and what the cashier charges him.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
The atm's located at the major banks will give you pesos and the last time I used 1 I was charged 90 cents -alot cheaper than a money exchange.I will not use those shady free standing atm's-just atm's located at the banks themselves.Best places I know of is San Felipe or the Wall Mart in cabo -all have bank owned atm's attached to real banks.Everybody will take $us but they will aways make the exchange go thier way.I think the mexicans sleep on mattresses full of $ and cash them in when the exchange rate is good.The guys working at pemex stations that are busy always have huge wads of cash.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Although most (if not all) Pemex stations will accept dollars, you will lose a lot in the exchange rate. Many of the pump attendants make extra money off of the difference between the exchange rate he charges you and what the cashier charges him.
Huh? I've never bought Pemex with anything except pesos(near Cancun/Cabo touristy spots some take USD but pesos are best) & I pay what shows on the pump then if they are OK I give a small tip to spread my immense wealth across Mexico.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
The atm's can get hit pretty hard on the weekends too.
Like 'running out of pesos' hit hard.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote