User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
jc9995 OP
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
Should I buy it?

Long story short... I have an acquaintance that found out that I like BMW's... he says, "You should buy my old bike". I laugh, he looks serious. "Come, let me show you" he says as he walks to the garage.
76' R100RS in pristine condition. Hasnt been riden in about 10 years... the throttle stuck while he was on it with the misses on the back. He was able to get it under control, but that was the end of his riding.

So he tells me to make him an offer.

Whats this thing worth?

jc9995 screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:35 PM
jc9995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,479
OOOHHH! a 77 RS! nice. BTW, 77 was fist year for the RS. not sure what the value is right now, but they ARE worth something, and if you do buy it, PLEASE don't butcher it up, plenty of other non-collectable models around for that.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
10 years non operational can be hard on engines and brake systems. Lots of unknowns to mull over. It does look like the more desired 77 model RS.
Why not offer him a couple of grand to start and see what happens.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.

Cogswell screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 04:47 PM
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
The higher power ( whichever flavor you prefer ) of the universe has smiled
upon you by causing the events that led to the owner showing his bike to you.
This is how many of the very best things in life happen. You are not looking for
whatever it is, and yet there it is, dropped right in your lap.

You could search for months and not find a clean original bike like this one.

There is a rational way to arrive at a value for this bike. Price what a superb example
is worth, and then price what the best BMW mechanic you can find will charge for
going through the entire bike and putting everything in order. An experienced BMW tech
will be able to tell you what is likely to be wrong. You might find that tires, a battery,
a carb cleaning, front brake system rebuild, and maybe a few seals are all the bike needs to run initially,
and after that you can sort out the finer points. It would be wise to add a "fudge factor" of $1000 or so
for the costs of problems which may appear once the bike begins to be ridden.

In any case, if you want the bike don't delay because such deals sometimes can slip through your fingers
and bikes like this one do not come along every day.

PS - I bet there is more to the owner's story than a stuck throttle. Maybe you can
get a beer or two into him and he will tell you the rest

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 06:16 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,821
As mentioned, an original '77 R100RS is one of the more desireable airhead BMWs.

If you don't want it, let us know the co-ordinates.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,197
A 1977 for sure. Has the drum rear brake. Looks to be missing the side cover but that could be that he took it off for the battery tender. They don't make them like this anymore. I would go for it.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
d mc gee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
The VIN can affect the value. The first few hundred had 40mm exhaust pipes.

01 1150 GS
84 R100RS
74 XL350
d mc gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 924
It is a less common model - but unless you've ever ridden a BMW, don't go too mad with your offer, they ain't all that
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
jc9995 OP
Commuting BEAST :)

Oddometer: 213
I like the beer idea....side benefit is if I get him drunk enough maybe the price drops greatly. :)
Also great idea asking about refurb costs. I'm pretty damn handy....but would want to learn about airheads on this bike.

I will update you on what he thinks is a fair offer. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
kaput13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Get owner comfortably sloshed and save a few for yourself cause even though you are handy you'll need an average additional 2 grand or so (depending on condition) in refreshening cost. Well worth it though just for the fun you'll be having. These bikes are are very satisfying to work on.
kaput13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
Garbln
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I've brought back bikes that have sat for 20, 10, & 5 years with very few problems. I spray fogged the cyls first, then worked on everything else before I started them. The 20 yr one was a 76 R75/6 BMW, the 10 yr was a 73 Triumph 750 Tiger, and the 5 yr was a 76 R90/6. All are running very well and I can hop on any one and go any place I want to without a second thought. I wouldn't hesitate buying that bike for the right price.
Garbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
Yes Offer 3k
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,791
Start at 2K but go as high as 3K. If he wants more maybe more invasive investigation can help settle the question. Things in doubt are the condition of gas tank, not the paint but rust inside from sitting with gas in it. Condition of front brake master cylinder and calipers, brake fluid attracts water corrodes inside parts. Was engine fogged when it was first stored. Things of this sort can be bargaining points.

Look in the gas tank. Any amount of gas stored in this tank for 10 years is a bad sign.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:44 AM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,093
Not a bad find. Even though it's been sitting for 10 years it's still in the upper 90-percentile of barn-finds since it looks to be stored-inside. It'll still need the usual hydraulics-tires-rubber bits TLC, but it's compete and unmolested. Be sure to check the air cleaner assy for mouse visitors, but you'll need to work down to the carbs anyway to find and correct the throttle hangup.

Nice find, indeed.

--Bill
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 461
Assume the worst!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Start at 2K but go as high as 3K. If he wants more maybe more invasive investigation can help settle the question. Things in doubt are the condition of gas tank, not the paint but rust inside from sitting with gas in it. Condition of front brake master cylinder and calipers, brake fluid attracts water corrodes inside parts. Was engine fogged when it was first stored. Things of this sort can be bargaining points.

Look in the gas tank. Any amount of gas stored in this tank for 10 years is a bad sign.
Offer 1500 and assume the worst - PO put the bike up due to a scare (throttle stuck). 10 year old gas in tank looks like it was covered what kind of climate do you live high humidity?? I doubt the engine was fogged on any other steps were taken for long term storage. That all being considered a great looking bike you are indeed lucky to have first shot at that bike!!!
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote