Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
everycredit OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Zumo 665 Sound Issues

Hey guys,

I'm having issues with my Zumo 665. It will work fine for a while, but then I get some high-frequency squeals and crackling sounds from the speakers. If I rest the device for an hour, the cycle repeats.

Garmin tech support has told me the equivalent of "reboot" so far (master reset, re-patch device), which has been unhelpful.

Anyone go through this? Anyone find a resolution, other than warranty replacement through Garmin?

Thanks!
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
cberry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Zumo 665 Sound Issues

Quote:
I'm having issues with my Zumo 665. It will work fine for a while, but then I get some high-frequency squeals and crackling sounds from the speakers. If I rest the device for an hour, the cycle repeats.
I've had similar issues with the sound. Actually, I think the 665 SUX. I hate the fact that have to go thru pages and pages to things that I can get to direct from the buttons on my 276/376. And, the radar display is useless!

I'm pretty sure that the audio distortion is due to heat build-up in the unit. My original unit had the same problem and garmin replaced it under warranty. Additionally, it will not reliably connect bluetooth to the xm radio, the "Bitch in the box", or the phone. As I recall, I can't transfer waypoints or routes either. Did I miss anything....

My fix was to buy a used GPSMAP 378 and a dongle! Now I'm happy!...Well, almost happy. Can't update the maps in the 378. Can't load a newer map from mapsource to a data card and then have the 378 read the card. Maybe I can eventually figure out how to do it, but I just got the 378 a week or two ago.

I bought the 378 because there were more available on EBAY than the 376. It was cheaper, but the 376 is my favorite. My 376 developed an 'open' between the power cord and the body of the unit, probably the direct result of unplugging it to prevent theft. My FIX is to leave the power cord connected to the unit and I have installed a "Battery Tender" or ASE type disconnect between the unit and the bike's power. Other than that---The 376 has 100K miles and still going strong. (on the battery, which I have to charge in another unit, 276.)
MOA 94523
Indian Harbour Beach, FL
'06/'07....What a year it was! 49 States, 5 Provinces, AND New Zealand, North and South Island
cberry is offline   Reply With Quote