Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1 View Post
Is it acceptable to charge the stock f800gs battery at 2 amps with a 12v car charger ? Doe the battery need to be removed or can it stay connected to the bike ?

Thanks for the clarification ...
Wow.... 5 years..... Yes 2 amps is about as high as I would go, and it is ok for it to stay in the bike. Most tenders maintain it anywhere from 0.8 - 1.2 amps.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #17
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
One last question ? When I disconnect the battery to hook up the tender pigtail will it cause anything to happen that I may need to reset on the bike because of the electrical disruption when the battery is disconnected.
you need to visit the dealer then as if the bike is without battery for a while the internal mileage/service indicator thingy gets hang up or so. at least it says so in the (german) user manual.
Since two years I use a good battery charger (Optimate) which is made especially for bike batteries and I kept the battery connected. No problems although I leave the charger on over several month (during winter).

Cheers Steve

Sent from Samsung w. Tapatalk
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #18
NumberCruncher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
One last question ? When I disconnect the battery to hook up the tender pigtail will it cause anything to happen that I may need to reset on the bike because of the electrical disruption when the battery is disconnected.
If I understand this correctly, this person is going to disconnect the battery in order to connect the battery tender pigtail. I have not seen the battery on my 800 yet, but I am operating under the assumption I can just attach the pigtail connectors on top of what is there so the bike will never lose power. I have done this with all my other bikes but they didn't have all that much connected to them. Maybe this machine is different and it is preferred to remove what is there before attaching the tender????

NC
Old 08-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #19
toooldtocare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
I've had my battery disconnected more than a few times, sometimes for as long as a couple of hours, while I have added wiring for a GPS, running lights, pigtail for separate charger, air pump, and it has never given me any problems. The only thing I have to do is reset the clock. Yes, to others that say a fuze block would be better, I agree, but my system works too, just a few pigtails.
toooldtocare is offline   Reply With Quote