Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #46
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
yep, it's true..heading over sometime in late May, doing Isle of Mann, Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Cornwall, etc., prolly 5-6 months. Maybe a quick ferry to France?
Dealing with Martin(Wheatwacker) was straightforward, easy and better for me than shipping my Alp over. I emailed him with the size, money parameters, etc., he found this bike on the moto sales site

http://www.donedeal.ie

I did a money transfer that morning, he drove 250 odd miles to inspect, when he got there he sent me pics from his phone to confirm, called me, I said it's a go, and the bike is now in storage near Cork. Included in transaction was a reasonable pickup fee. Had a few conversations on the phone but it was the usual Adv transaction, never met the seller or Martin before but here's $2000, go for it.

Flying to Dublin is a lot cheaper that Heathrow, inexpensive bus or train connections direct from airport to Cork. I bought a transalp cause I own an 89, that bike is a 96, tools and spares already sorted. I can make a jiffy-pop rack for soft luggage here, take that and my spare sprockets and new chain-ready to go.

Thanks, Martin

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 05:44 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 AM   #47
Mike1234
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog View Post
yep, it's true..heading over sometime in May, doing Isle of Mann, Ireland, Scotland, England, Wales, Cornwall, etc., prolly 5-6 months. Maybe a quick ferry to France?
Dealing with Martin(Wheatwacker) was straightforward, easy and better for me than shipping my Alp over. I emailed him with the size, money parameters, etc., he found this bike on the moto sales site

http://www.donedeal.ie

I did a money transfer that morning, he drove 250 odd miles to inspect, when he got there he sent me pics from his phone to confirm, called me, I said it's a go, and the bike is now in storage near Cork. Included in transaction was a reasonable pickup fee. Had a few conversations on the phone but it was the usual Adv transaction, never met the seller or Martin before but here's $2000, go for it.

Flying to Dublin is a lot cheaper that Heathrow, inexpensive bus or train connections direct from airport to Cork. I bought a transalp cause I own an 89, that bike is a 96, tools and spares already sorted. I can make a jiffy-pop rack for soft luggage here, take that and my spare sprockets and new chain-ready to go.

Thanks, Martin
Excellent! Enjoy.
Mike1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #48
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 622
Awesome!

This is something my wife and I have been discussing for a few months now. We were thinking of buying and shipping a Varadero over from Canada but this may be a better option. Won't be this year but 2014/15 is a definite. We want to spend a few years touring Europe 2up so will be keeping the bike for at least 3-5 years.
I will be getting in touch when we are ready to make this happen....

Awesome!

Any chance you can PM me a ballpark $$$ on what a used Varadero 1000 would cost in Ireland preferably with luggage?

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #49
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Just to add what "Forde" said about SORN in the UK - notification to the DVLA (National vehicle Registration office) can be done on line, so if you live in Timbuktoo with a bike in the UK no need to think about postal notification. Unlike Northern Ireland, the annual Ministry of Transport (MOT) Inspection/Test in England takes a bit longer than 5 minutes, as the bike and rider are weighed on a rolling road, and the brakes are tested on the same rolling road. A Beam setter is also used to check beam dip. The rest is mainly checking the engine/chassis number, wheel alignment, lights, switches, chain, tyres, etc, etc - the sort of thing you want to be 100% sure of if you are going to ride in a foreign country.
@Rockydog - if you come over from Cork into South Wales and on into SW England I live on the English side of the Old Severn Bridge - I have a spare toom, and happy to take time out to show you a bit of this area.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #50
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb buying a bike with Wheatwacker

Just keep looking for the bike you want. Buy it early if you have to - give Wheatwacker and his buddy Elton time to ride it and get it sorted and serviced before you arrive. They put on new tires, rear brake pads and changed the oil - all done before I got there. Sweet - just arrive and pay for the service and ride away. Easier than buying a bike in the states from a dealer. Kinsale, where they live, is amazing.
We stayed at the Sunshine B&B - great place, very nice people and a terrific value. http://www.sunrisebandb.ie/ Ask for the big room overlooking the front meadow - perfect for a couple.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #51
BethandIrish
n00b

Oddometer: 1
The luck of the Irish

Greetings Wheat Whacker,
I hope this finds you happy and healthy, my wife and I just joined ADVrider yesterday, been using HUBB for years, and this morning we find your thread. We are landing in Dublin May 4th and starting our Cork to Cape adventure, Ireland to South Africa. We are in the process of selling all our worldly possessions to fund the trip and lighten our load. If you are established over there yet we'd love to meet up and talk bikes. We our shipping our bikes from San Francisco mid-March. I am originally from the North, Co Tyrone, so we plan to meander our way up the West coast arriving in time for the NorthWest 200 final weekend. Then it's off to the HUBB gathering in the UK at the start of June. Do you know if we have to make a change to our headlights on a bike coming from the US?
Happy Trails
Irish

BethandIrish screwed with this post 03-01-2013 at 08:02 PM
BethandIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #52
HerrFritz
Radical Opportunity

Oddometer: 11
Going To Mongolia 2014

WheatWacker
I did not expect to start in Ireland, but seems that is my karma. I want to ride to Mongolia and Vladivostok via the Stans starting May 2014. My plan is to buy a bike, register it in a jurisdiction of convenience, ride it like it is stolen, and bring it back to the USA or sell it in Russia Far East. So I am not looking for a buyback deal.

But- I sure could use some help buying a bike. My preferrence is a BMW F650 GS single cylinder, Dakar if I can find one. My reason is that I already own one and know how to fix it. I took the F650 to Tierra Del Fuego and back to the USA in 2009. Second choice would be a smaller lighter bike.

What do you think? You see lots more global travelers than I do.

Fritz
HerrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #53
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrFritz View Post
WheatWacker
I did not expect to start in Ireland, but seems that is my karma. I want to ride to Mongolia and Vladivostok via the Stans starting May 2014. My plan is to buy a bike, register it in a jurisdiction of convenience, ride it like it is stolen, and bring it back to the USA or sell it in Russia Far East. So I am not looking for a buyback deal.

But- I sure could use some help buying a bike. My preferrence is a BMW F650 GS single cylinder, Dakar if I can find one. My reason is that I already own one and know how to fix it. I took the F650 to Tierra Del Fuego and back to the USA in 2009. Second choice would be a smaller lighter bike.

What do you think? You see lots more global travelers than I do.

Fritz
What do I think? I think I want to come with you :)
Anyway, like I said before, buying the bike is no problem. Keep looking on www.donedeal.ie and if you see something you like, let me know. You can paypal me the money or wire it direct to the seller.
Please stay as close to Cork as possible as transporting bikes is expensive and time consuming.
I'll register the bike in your name using my address.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #54
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Great information

PM sent
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #55
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Thumb good deal in Ireland

That sounds like a great trip.

Wheatwhacker did a good buy on a Varadero and got it serviced for me. I'm lovin' it. I stored it with a friend Paris after riding Ireland, France, Spain, Andorra. Going back to Paris to ride France, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Poland, Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland and leave it in Paris again.

ALL thanks to Wheatwhacker's help.
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #56
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Hi ya WW, I shipped my '07 DR650 to England last year (2012), rode around Europe a bit and left the bike with a friend in Yorkshire. Anyway, I'll be back in Yorks the end of May 2013 and will ride in the Pyrenees until end of June '13. I fly back to the states the 2nd of July '13. I'm thinking of selling the bike there and saw ur thread. It's a 2007 DR650s with about 8,000 miles on it, there is no lien on it and I have all the correct paperwork, ie., title, etc. The bike has tons of add-ons (I can list later) and truly would be a very dependable bike for someone traveling over there. Please e-mail me as I can post pic's and such via e-mails easier than here (I'm a bit of a techie idiot).

rick@thedragonsend.com

regards, Rick
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #57
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor 1 View Post
Hi ya WW, I shipped my '07 DR650 to England last year (2012), rode around Europe a bit and left the bike with a friend in Yorkshire. Anyway, I'll be back in Yorks the end of May 2013 and will ride in the Pyrenees until end of June '13. I fly back to the states the 2nd of July '13. I'm thinking of selling the bike there and saw ur thread. It's a 2007 DR650s with about 8,000 miles on it, there is no lien on it and I have all the correct paperwork, ie., title, etc. The bike has tons of add-ons (I can list later) and truly would be a very dependable bike for someone traveling over there. Please e-mail me as I can post pic's and such via e-mails easier than here (I'm a bit of a techie idiot).

rick@thedragonsend.com

regards, Rick
The best solution is sell it here on ADV, or possibly horizons unlimited. Do the transfer of title in your home state. If they are not in the same state as you, just put their name and use your address for the title.
I can store the bike for the new owner.
Otherwise, I can get it sold here but, the price will be low due to the cost of getting it titled in Ireland. I'll look into it.