Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #16
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Get it. Get it as cheap as you can, but by all means get it. That things looks like it's in very nice shape. RSs have never been my cup of tea, but to RS lovers that year is the holy grail.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
Bluethumb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
A friend collected 'RS's to the point he had every model, every year of all the twin shocks. All were pristine, low milage, collectible. I believe at one point he had 20+. I believe he's one of the most knowledgable about these bikes. He decided to sell off his bikes and now only has three, a '77 with 8k, a '78 Motorsport with similar milage, and a '79, same milage. I looked at the bikes a month and a half ago. All had been sitting for awhile. The silver RS had both the solo and dual seat. He said he'd let it go for $8,5000. I believe that's a very solid price. He could advertise and easily get more. It is low milage and pristen but also has been sitting for a few years.

A RS is a unique BMW, considered one of the more special bikes ever produced by many motorcycle enthusiasts. In all seriousness to offer $3,000 is an insult to your friend - unless there is serious damage that the picture didn't show or that you failed to mention.

These bikes are very valuable to many. That's not to say they are that valuable to all. The early model 'RS has moved from a older motorcycle to a collectible motorcycle. That's also true of many airhead models whose current market value has risen quite a bit in the last five years. When any object becomes collectible its value becomes almost totally subjective.
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
oldroadie
Two wheel addict

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethumb View Post
When any object becomes collectible its value becomes almost totally subjective.
Yep, right out of Blue Book territory and into "what the buyer will pay" land. Check the engine compression and make your offer accordingly.
oldroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 446
Wicked Check this out!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-...orcev4exp=true

This should help you out but this bike has been gone through.
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,387
This bike can someday be worth more than it is now. The bike on Ebay is being sold by Max BMW and they are not known for cheap. They are in the business of making money. We all know that. Many of us buy parts from Max. The Max bike, look at the list of upgrades, has been more than gone thru. It is updated and refined. Bigger Alternator, newer technology starter. Rebuilt trans and engine. Many, many refinements. So maybe you get an idea of what this bike may be worth some day. If it sells. I wonder what their reserve is?

I also checked the Vin on the Max bike. Built 08/76. I think that is very early but I don't know if it's early enough. Also low miles. The bike in question here does not yet have a Vin or build date and mileage is unknown.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 09:27 AM
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #21
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
One point about the Max bike is the mileage. If you read down to the bottom of the page it says the mileage is 113605.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #22
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
One point about the Max bike is the mileage. If you read down to the bottom of the page it says the mileage is 113605.
one other note is that nice looking '77 RS's come up on Craigslist frequently for <$6K, and below $5K each year.

Here's a bunch below $5K

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/3526179231.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/3534201167.html

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/3510736802.html

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/3477911998.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
I don't see Max taking less than $8.5-9k for that bike, which it won't bid up to on Ebay. Most of the Craigslist bikes are in pretty rough shape and/or missing major pieces and would cost a fortune to turn into nice bikes. Truly, the only reason to have a '77 RS is for collector value, and if the bike isn't complete and in either nice original condition (nicely patina'd) or correctly restored then you're better off paying all the money and getting a bike like this one at Max, or another top-dollar bike. At least they're appreciating and if you overpay today for the best bike out there, eventually the market will catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biebs View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-...orcev4exp=true

This should help you out but this bike has been gone through.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
That was really tricky the way they worded that whole thing. They give the mileage 13,605 twice and then all the way on on the bottom say "actual mileage is 113,605" . I missed it entirely. Thanks.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 659
Cool2 very lucky, indeed!

IF, I am not mistaken.....and I just may be....was there a C,F,O 1977 BMW R100RS model that was early and still did NOT have the 40mm carbs and 40mm exhaust........californikation, florida, oregon......
Possibly, I am thinking of the later R100CS models, with the aforementioned designation....(SMOG).
Either way, an inmate who KNOWS, will be along shortly, to let us all know how incorrect I am....how did that italic type just occur?

I WOULD LOVE THAT MACHINE! It has my initials on it (RS).
Best wishes always.

Update> Thanks, Mugwest, for the confirmation....I neglected the important info on the LARGE VALVES...

spo123 screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 03:34 PM
spo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by spo123 View Post
IF, I am not mistaken.....and I just may be....was there a C,F,O 1977 BMW R100RS model that was early and still did NOT have the 40mm carbs and 40mm exhaust........californikation, florida, oregon......
Possibly, I am thinking of the later R100CS models, with the aforementioned designation....(SMOG).
Was going to mention the CFO bit earlier today but got busy again. My '77 (build Fall '76) was a CFO and those letters are stamped above the engine # over the oil filler IIRC. I was told and read innumerable times that it did stand for CA, FL, and OR and had to do w/ emissions. There was no emissions gear or plumbing on mine, but it sure had 38mm pipes and maybe the valves were smaller-- can't remember arcane stuff on the RS anymore, sold it in 2001.

It's without question collectible, and with one in that unmolested shape i'd be tempted to take it home too.

But equally without question is that there are many many more Airhead models that are superior bikes to ride.

Hell man, just get it
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,037
Thumb

...question is...how much do you want to have in it when it's finished...?
Sitting for so long you could easily drop a grand or two getting it back up to snuff, that providing there's nothing actually wrong with the bike.
BMW Rubber and plasticky parts are expensive.
If you don't wrench add a grand to have a dealer get it basically maintained right.
I'd offer $2500 thereabouts.
But what a jewel it might be!

...hmmm...does he have the 3/4 solo seat...

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #28
Bikaholic51
Electric Kaiser

Oddometer: 440
[QUOTE=jc9995;20551564]Long story short... I have an acquaintance that found out that I like BMW's... he says, "You should buy my old bike". I laugh, he looks serious. "Come, let me show you" he says as he walks to the garage.
76' R100RS in pristine condition. Hasnt been riden in about 10 years... the throttle stuck while he was on it with the misses on the back. He was able to get it under control, but that was the end of his riding.

So he tells me to make him an offer.

Whats this thing worth?

Being a guy that likes a deal I would offer low. Say 1K and see what he comes back with. He may just be looking for room in his garage and want to give it to a freind. Let him come back with a price if he wants more or is very serious about selling. He may be teasing you. Let us know how it goes.

I love having bikes fall in your lap. I bought a R75/5 back in 98. A friend told me about it sitting in a garage at a house he was working at. hidden behind and under the construction material. I picked it up for $1200. It was a 72 Toaster with Under (yes under) 1,800 miles. He bought it new and trailered it to Colorado and traveled with it and his bride for a honeymoon trip. Only road it a couple of times after that. SCORE

88 R100RT-82 R100S-72 R75/5-70 R75/5 hack
Bikaholic51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #29
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
I own a '77 RS with the 40 mm pipes. Mine is not original by any means. But it's a bike that I truly enjoy riding.

Like all things old and collectible, the old RS's are not worth what they once were.

Also know that you probably won't be able to recoup the money you'll end up putting into it to get it running and back on the road the way it should be. Airheads are more of a labor of love than they are an investment.

I'd say if you could get it for anything under $3K, it would be a good deal. It's probably going to take $2k worth of "love" to get it back to where it needs to be. Keep that in mind.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #30
Bluethumb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
So, did you buy it?
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote