User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #121
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Old, but valuable thread.

I'm stuck between buying an XR650R or an older model KTM 525. I've read every post in this thread and here are my thoughts, questions.

1. Valves are disposable and easy to replace with Kibble Whites. Did that on my CRF250x, great valves. Valves are a non-issue in my mind.
2. Piston/Rings are easy to replace and not too expensive.
3. Splitting the cases to get to the tranny kinda sucks, but it's not too hard. Did that on my XR600R.

So, I'm mechanically able, but given the choice, I'd rather not be digging into the engine every year.

I'm interested in 95% dirt/5% road, long 10-12 hour riding days, day after day. Lots of time in 5th gear, some technical, lots of fire roads, 2,000 mile dirt tours, etc. I know the KTM will be better on the tech, that's a given.

With that, is the KTM 525/520 up to day after day of 400 mile days? I don't mind a winter tear down, but trail side failures of tranny's or engines imploding from low oil capacity isn't something I want to experience.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #122
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Old, but valuable thread.

I'm stuck between buying an XR650R or an older model KTM 525. I've read every post in this thread and here are my thoughts, questions.
You are in the wrong thread buddy. The 450/530 KTMS made since 2008 are completely different, chassis, engine, suspension, everything. Try this one instead:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...201026&page=12
Old 01-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #123
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
He said older model LuckasM. Right thread. There is a guy who posts lightly on KTM Talk who had a fleet of 5 doing just what you said. His bikes were negleted by manys standards. I remeber one with well over 300 hours of mostly desert use. Sorry i'd give you more info if i remembered. Someone else recently posted having over 400 hours on a bone stock engine. This is not typical with stock intake valves.

I'd say doable but would pick a bike and price fiquring a total rebuild from the start. Unless you find one with super low hours. Mine was 3 years old when i got it and had maybe 60 hours tops. I've seen some with less.

Low hour bikes can be fitted with Kibblewhites and not even need new seats. Rings can out last the cylinder coating. At 160 hours mine were on the tightest end of specs.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #124
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
He said older model LuckasM.
?

This is why I directed him to the thread that is about the older model he is looking at (525), for exactly the kind of use he is planning. This thread here is about the XC4 engined bikes which are very different from the RFS.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #125
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
?

This is why I directed him to the thread that is about the older model he is looking at (525), for exactly the kind of use he is planning. This thread here is about the XC4 engined bikes which are very different from the RFS.
Ah crap. Sorry.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #126
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Ah crap. Sorry.
No worries.

KTM's model numbers can get very confusing, especially in the 450s. Luckily the 520/525 (00-07) and 530 (08+) are much easier to keep apart.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #127
lymanwhite
Monkee Bidness

Oddometer: 307
'Any number of things could be 'corrected' on the 530 to make it more comfortable for extended pavement riding, but why go to the trouble and expense?'

Please, you 'corrected' by buying a whole nother bike.

On the maint. I think this is also overcooked. Try not pegging it constantly, as it is a single cyl. 'thumper'; and w/ a modern syn oil like Amsoil, heat shear, and oil life have way more life than most believe.

I think the factory and engineers are very conservative with maint. recommendations, as they are a race bike factory with deep roots in a high fail rate sport. For the rest of us, I think it can be taken w/ several grains of salt.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #128
osteo
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
I'll offer a couple words as I use mine daily.. 08' 450EXC

During the week I ride it to work and puttering around, mind you work is not very far.

During the weekends I'm on trails, fire access roads and single track.

I've 11,000km on the bike, approx 220hrs - I'd say 75% is dirt/gravel the last is pavement.

Oil changes are regular and valves checked regularly with no issues and adjustments as necessary.

Got worried reading some threads and peoples comments, plus the service manual as it says full rebuild after 90hrs. So had it leak down tested and it was only 10%. I had it leakdown tested at 2hrs as I was worried with a bit of oil burnage and it was 3% - so it is good. No worries.

The bike works well for both pavement and dirt, thinking on getting a second set of wheels for during the week and either put some Anakees or something on them or maybe a set of SM wheels...

So, does it do both chores, yup, I'm happy. Would I ride it for real long periods on the slab... probably not, but I have done 2hr rides on pavement and survived.

Is the seat a piece of 2x4? yup, but either it molded to my ass, or I molded to it, as it is comfortable now!

Gotta run to work.. ahhh...

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #129
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,366
I dont ride orange, mainly becos I stumbled into the Blue side of things prior to investigating my needs in a dualsport.

But whether you are riding a 530/450/510 or whatever colour blue/red/orange/green all the enduro based bikes have problems with long distance touring.

It needs oil. It needs the owners love to make it excell in conditions that its not really suited to. But what makes it better then anything else is the flickability, the no mountain is high or technical for us not to go over it (Im thinking erzberg / romaniancs) The bikes just go at anything you throw at it.

The biggest questions usually are the tires/luggage/gearing and extra fuel.Once you have mastered that, it will be hard to find the perfect replacement bike. I can live with 10hour oilchanges.

I dont hesitate to take my bike on longer trips. Depending on my gearing I know i have to ride slow to get there and then I can play harder when I am there, if that makes sense. I just wish we had better trail like terrain out here in south africa. I fall asleep on the 450 on the dirt roads.
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #130
DirtWarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Oh goodie, another opportunity to post a picture of my bike. I'm leaving in two hours to ride around the Smokies. Should be about 500 miles, mainly on back roads. The bike only has 300 miles on it now, so it should make it.

What kind of DS tires you runnin there?
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #131
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbo
Oh yeah, here's Nichelob's Ride Report. Thanks Cirbo!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #132
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWarrior
What kind of DS tires you runnin there?
Those look like sahara 3's

Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #133
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by advjackass View Post
. i have had the 625 sxc, 950 adv, and now have a se and while these are great bikes i have no interest in taking them on technicle single track. so i think the real question is what is your definition of "dual purpose"? let's face it you could ride a harley on most forest roads but that does not qualfy that bke as a dual sport! my 2 cents
I had a full dresser Harley that I rode on dirt roads for years-you mean to tell me I wasn't dualsportin'
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #134
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62 View Post
I had a full dresser Harley that I rode on dirt roads for years-you mean to tell me I wasn't dualsportin'
I know it takes Harley riders a while to catch up, But two years?
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote