Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #2446
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Regarding the leaky petcock, sounds like the vacuum diaphragm on the back isn't fully sealing. The diaphragm could be torn or the o-ring that seals it could be worn. I'd bet on the o-ring; should be able to fund a replacement in an assortment pack.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #2447
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
2009 Sherpa: I too have a hard time with cold start. Already added the 130 main jet and 20 pilot jet. What I found is that if I loosen the screw that allows the float bowl to drain, and leave it open until I get a nice flow coming for about 5 seconds, then shut the drain screw, it will start easier. Sometimes, that is on the only way to get it to start. Sounds like I am not getting enough fuel after it sits awhile? Maybe too much?

Also, probably related, I took the fuel tank off the bike and I can't get the fuel to completely stop coming out of the bottom of the petcock. I have tried it in both the "on" position and the "reserve" position. Obviously, when I put it in "prime" position, I get a lot of gas coming out, but when I switch to "on" or "reserve" it still drips.
For the cold start, it sounds like you just need to get some fresh gasoline into the float bowl. I got into the habit of putting the petcock into prime, and leaning the bike over until the gas came out of the overflow hose from the carb. I do that on my "newer" dirt bikes too, to prime them before starting.

As for the petcock, sounds like a leaky o-ring. Would be a good opportunity to do the Yamaha petcock conversion and lose the vacuum diaphragm/hose.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #2448
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
Hey Guys,

2009 Sherpa: I too have a hard time with cold start. Already added the 130 main jet and 20 pilot jet. What I found is that if I loosen the screw that allows the float bowl to drain, and leave it open until I get a nice flow coming for about 5 seconds, then shut the drain screw, it will start easier. Sometimes, that is on the only way to get it to start. Sounds like I am not getting enough fuel after it sits awhile? Maybe too much?

Also, probably related, I took the fuel tank off the bike and I can't get the fuel to completely stop coming out of the bottom of the petcock. I have tried it in both the "on" position and the "reserve" position. Obviously, when I put it in "prime" position, I get a lot of gas coming out, but when I switch to "on" or "reserve" it still drips.

Conclusions anyone?

Thanks!

Chris

Hmm. Did you adjust the screw in the carb when you did the jets? If you're not letting the bike sit for a while, it shouldn't need any priming. If it sits for more than several days, you might flip the petcock to "prime" for ~10 seconds or so, then try to start the bike. Don't forget to flip it back to "on" (down) once running. Maybe try a different brand of gas for your next tank as well? Might be getting some suspect gas and the water is separating in the float bowl.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #2449
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Found my sherpa will not crank at 15*f last night .... Im going to have to remember that if I take a over night ride in cool weather . Im wondering if switching to synthetic oil would help like it does with my diesels
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #2450
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Found my sherpa will not crank at 15*f last night .... Im going to have to remember that if I take a over night ride in cool weather . Im wondering if switching to synthetic oil would help like it does with my diesels
I used to run synthetic diesel oil in my Sherpa. Rotella 5W-40.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #2451
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Basket case woes
  • Last 1/2" of spark plug threads were scragged (managed to bring them back with a tap thank doG)
  • Needed rings
  • Timing was incorrect (x2)
  • Rings installed incorrectly

While we were in there other items got cleaned and checked too. Didn't help that along with coming in pieces that it had been stored outside at some point. We're hoping to get it running finally this weekend. Finally.
This is true, we finally got it going and here are a few pics of the process.

See the duck basket, came with the sale!

Bugs in the carb

So with a new piston, chain, sprockets, tires and used gas tank, carb, rebuilt forks among many many other pieces and trial and error we did get it going to only find the clutch pack slips and it's sloooow as hell

SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #2452
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFly01 View Post
So with a new piston, chain, sprockets, tires and used gas tank, carb, rebuilt forks among many many other pieces and trial and error we did get it going to only find the clutch pack slips and it's sloooow as hell
It's an air-cooled 250. It'll never be a speed demon. But don't be afraid to rev the engine out. It'll take the abuse.

The clutch is easy to fix. Order friction plates and springs.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #2453
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Guys, fellow Sherpa user, ADV inmate, JohnDowns crashed his bike in Colombia while unloading the bike from the boat ashore

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...831076&page=90

Pls, advise on getting replacement front forks/hub - is there a possible replacement ? how to get his steed going again ? Pls help.

mario33 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 02:18 PM
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #2454
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Guys, fellow Sherpa user, ADV inmate, JohnDowns crashed his bike in Colombia while unloading the bike from the boat ashore

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...831076&page=90

Pls, advise on getting replacement front forks/hub - is there a possible replacement ? how to get his steed going again ? Pls help.

Came here to post the same thing. Hope he gets it fixed
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #2455
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Came here to post the same thing. Hope he gets it fixed
Hi guys,

I am currently in Capurgana, Colombia. The Sherpa is a tank. But loses when a Kuna cargo boat slams against the front forks when the front wheel slips off and drops down between the dock and the ship.

Yikes!!!!!

I am on a slow intrernet connection and don't have time to find what front forks will interchange with the Sherpa 36mm forks, so any ideas of what has worked for others would be appreciated.

My Sherpa has made it to Panama and back two years ago and now is in South America with 32,000 trouble free miles.

Well okay, trouble free until yesterday. Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #2456
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455

warp speed!
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #2457
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,726
For those that have owned both the KLR 650 and the Sherpa, how do the seats compare. I have a 2006 KLR that has been a very reliable and comfortable bike, especially the seat. I'm looking at a Sherpa to add as a small DS bike that's easier to pick up in the woods than the KLR. I was thinking of a WR250 until I sat on it. I already have a board in a towel seat bike, and don't want another. The Sherpa seat feels pretty good just sitting on the bike, but it's kind of hard to tell how it will be after 4-5 hours.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #2458
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,409
Padded bicycle shorts, provided extra support for glutieus maximus, form-fitting comfort that weight less than any saddle.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #2459
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Seats

We picked up a Sherpa yesterday. If the stock seat doesn't suit, we'll try a walmart (the brand is Stearn's, I believe) ATV seat pad first; if that won't do we'll likely go with Seat Concepts. I've used them for two other bikes and for the money, I don't think they can be beat.

Sarah

http://seatconcepts.com/
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #2460
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
For those that have owned both the KLR 650 and the Sherpa, how do the seats compare. I have a 2006 KLR that has been a very reliable and comfortable bike, especially the seat. I'm looking at a Sherpa to add as a small DS bike that's easier to pick up in the woods than the KLR. I was thinking of a WR250 until I sat on it. I already have a board in a towel seat bike, and don't want another. The Sherpa seat feels pretty good just sitting on the bike, but it's kind of hard to tell how it will be after 4-5 hours.
Few dual sports come with comfy seats, but my wife's Sherpa seat is much more comfortable than the stock WRR seat, and better than the DR650 I had before it.

I'd hate to make bike buying decisions based on the OEM seat though. An aftermarket seat or an upholstery shop can cure most factory 2x4 seats. The Seat Concepts seat on my WRR cost ~$200 professionally installed.