Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #181
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I just turned 64. I have entered the Alcan 5000 in 2014. I'll be riding a KTM 690R.

I generally ride a few dual sport rides per year and I poke around the southwest aboard a Yam wr250r. The new KTM is probably my last motorcycle, though.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #182
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I just turned 64. I have entered the Alcan 5000 in 2014. I'll be riding a KTM 690R.

I generally ride a few dual sport rides per year and I poke around the southwest aboard a Yam wr250r. The new KTM is probably my last motorcycle, though.
I worked my interwebs magic and Googled "Alcan 5000" and came up with: it's a tour around Alaska and Canada in August. Sounds like a blast! The site I found was thin on details, though.

Mostly off-road? Mix of pavement and dirt? Am I in the right neighborhood?

I'm not sure if it's for me, but I am intrigued.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #183
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
I'll be 71 in March, and still tour about 15000 miles a year on my Gold Wing. I always carry my Pug dog on the pillion seat, harnessed and double strapped to the armrests. In a year or two, I'm considering a switch to a Burgman Executive or BMW Maxi Scooter, but really don't know why. I developed my love of two wheels on scooters, and guess I want to experience my second childhood.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #184
mrmgoo
beemerscoot

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak bike View Post
Hey this is a shot in the dark, Just wondering how many folks on this Adv Rider deal are getting along in years and still getting a blast out of riding bikes. ?? Lets hear it !! .. if you can :0)
Me for one!...I'm 86,as of last New Years day,started riding ('39 Knucklehead) April 1946. and except for a few years while the Kids were growing up, have had some kind of a Bike on the car port all the time! I now have an '04 Harley V-Rod ....'46 Harley Knucklehead with sidecar,and last but definitely not "least" a new C 650 GT BMW Scooter! I love the Scooter concept,not much weight and it's low to the ground! I rode My V-Rod to Sturgis last Summer,and had a wonderful trip!...Went on to Glacier N.Park came back via Bear Tooth Pass then into Yellowstone,then back to Sturgis. I'm in Virginia,so that was a pretty good trip,even for Me! I will ride the Beemer out West this year,lords willing. Now lets hear from some other "Old"inmates!
mrmgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #185
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,977
I'll be 54 next week and that makes 50 years of riding something motorized with two wheels. Another 50 is doubtful but here's to trying. I haven't slowed down any on the contrary I'm riding faster as time goes on. The quality of the bikes contributes to that.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 AM   #186
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I worked my interwebs magic and Googled "Alcan 5000" and came up with: it's a tour around Alaska and Canada in August. Sounds like a blast! The site I found was thin on details, though.

Mostly off-road? Mix of pavement and dirt? Am I in the right neighborhood?

I'm not sure if it's for me, but I am intrigued.
It's a time speed and distance competition. About 4500 miles, of which maybe 1800 are dirt roads. Every day they give us a roll chart. generally there are 2 or 3 timed sections per day. These sections require navigational skills and time keeping similar to an enduro.

The club chases the pack and hauls our spares and gear plus they have trailers to pick up broken motorcycles along the route. I see it as sort of a cruise vacation, except instead of a boat, we ride our dual sport motorcycles and have a little dash of competition sprinkled in.

There is a big thread on it in the racing section.

www.alcan5000.com

key the itinerary and you'll see the general daily route. The specials are not revealed until the night before, so the site won't have details on that.

Key on the entry list and you'll see who we are and what we plan to ride.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #187
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 897
Dirty Oldie

I'm kinda young for this thread. 73. Finally quit racing hare scrambles this past summer and sold my absolutely magic '12 KTM 300 XC-W. Couldn't stand it. Bought a '13 KTM 500 EXC and tricked it out. Out in southern Utah on it in Oct. It is like a heavier version of my 300 and is so much fun I'm thinking about racing it this spring. Heading out this afternoon now that it is finally above 32 to rip around in the woods. YeeHaw!!

Street riding on the 500 at least has me on an incredibly agile bike when the drunks and cell phone idiots try to occupy my space on the road. Keeps me from being wiped out. When you are suddenly faced with riding in a ditch it pays to be on a bike that can do it easily.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #188
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Mr Magoo , man that's great!!!, I take heart when I see all those years on a bike and your still truckin. Way to go !!!
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #189
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,101
My uncle is in his late 60's, and still does weekend rides in the Mohave by himself on his plated XR400. He's a crazy old bastard who used to race Baja on a big 2-stroke Husqvarna. I don't remember what it was, but as a child the rear fender was above my head. 500cc, I think.

He is still much faster than me on any bike...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #190
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Well I'm 60 in March.
Been biking legally for 44 years.
Just bought myself a Honda Transalp with my pension payout.
Much to the annoyance of SWMBO....

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #191
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a picture of the trans alps . always wanted one .
Old 01-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #192
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
I'm 67 (nearly 68 - who sped up time???) and my wife is 66. We're 2 up on our KTM 990 pretty often, and I do some easy adventure on it, but my new kick is my KTM 690 Enduro - it's trying to make me a better rider .
We're her in SoCal riding around, and I think I'll store the bike (990), fly down and ride home to Alberta in late May - always wanted to ride the West Coast. Then, hopefully, Baja with AlbertaStrom in August, probably on the 690.
Use it or lose it!
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #193
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sounds like your having a good time and beating that Alberta weather!! We ve had a warm winter up here but parked bikes. Envy you and hope the may trip works out , that coast weather is fickled but a great ride .
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #194
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
I'm 67 (nearly 68 - who sped up time???) and my wife is 66. We're 2 up on our KTM 990 pretty often, and I do some easy adventure on it, but my new kick is my KTM 690 Enduro - it's trying to make me a better rider .
We're her in SoCal riding around, and I think I'll store the bike (990), fly down and ride home to Alberta in late May - always wanted to ride the West Coast. Then, hopefully, Baja with AlbertaStrom in August, probably on the 690.
Use it or lose it!
Hey folkride. I love my 690 too. I downsized from a 950 I rode for 7 years. I keep a Yamaha WR250R in Arizona that I visit to ride the southwest. In fact I'll visit her next month for a week. I vote store your 990 out there so you can explore the west like I do. Hard to do it justice any other way.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #195
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
68 here and having a blast on my FJR. Put 27K on her in a year and a half.
Phineas Whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote