Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #541
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Awesome!!! You lucky bastard!!!

No, he was the owner of pirate4x4 at that time and crazy enough to get in a car with Robby.

Pretty sure Lance was somewhat desensitized after co-joing for pistol pete a few times

Still, not a ride I'd sign up for without some thought.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:23 PM   #542
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Doesn't Robby have more stage wins than Miller ever thought about having?
That doesn't really get one to the top step at Dakar though, presuming that's the intent. Check out first place overall Cyril Despres' stage record for 2013. Only one stage win (#9), two second place (#10 & 13), and three thirds (#3, 6, & 11). Included in the mix are an 11th, a 12th, two 14th, a 17th, and a 34th place stage positions.

Winning a stage is an incredible accomplishment but, as CD demonstrated, it is the accumulated day after day after day after day timing (not position) that wins the rally.

I really hope we get to watch Robby again in future Dakars. The wide mix of personalities and divergent strategies resulting from buggies vs. 4Xs in many ways make the cars more interesting than motos. While I care more about the motos all the machines (except for Luis') are virtually identical and everybody is going about winning the rally in the same manner.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #543
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,327
Racing against Peterhansel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
That doesn't really get one to the top step at Dakar though, presuming that's the intent. Check out first place overall Cyril Despres' stage record for 2013. Only one stage win (#9), two second place (#10 & 13), and three thirds (#3, 6, & 11). Included in the mix are an 11th, a 12th, two 14th, a 17th, and a 34th place stage positions.

Winning a stage is an incredible accomplishment but, as CD demonstrated, it is the accumulated day after day after day after day timing (not position) that wins the rally.

I really hope we get to watch Robby again in future Dakars. The wide mix of personalities and divergent strategies resulting from buggies vs. 4Xs in many ways make the cars more interesting than motos. While I care more about the motos all the machines (except for Luis') are virtually identical and everybody is going about winning the rally in the same manner.
Just my humble opinion... But if you are racing against Peterhansel, Nassar and Sainz like Robby does every year...If your goal is to win... You've got to run pretty much balls out every stage. The margins are just so critical. And having a great Navigator can also make the difference. But Peterhansel pushes the pace so hard and is a rally craftsman.

The moto Rally is totally different with and without Coma for Despres and the rest of the field. Despres is a much more desperate rider against Coma's constant attacking.

Now that Robby has the car reliability down, he can focus on strategies for next year.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #544
klatelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
What American car driver has the most stage wins ?
klatelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #545
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
Just my humble opinion... But if you are racing against Peterhansel, Nassar and Sainz like Robby does every year...If your goal is to win... You've got to run pretty much balls out every stage. The margins are just so critical. And having a great Navigator can also make the difference. But Peterhansel pushes the pace so hard and is a rally craftsman.

The moto Rally is totally different with and without Coma for Despres and the rest of the field. Despres is a much more desperate rider against Coma's constant attacking.

Now that Robby has the car reliability down, he can focus on strategies for next year.
I think there is another interesting element involved in the mix. The car is reliable and Robby demonstrates he has the driving skills. Robby and Nassar both knew ahead of time that they would need to drive very, very, fast to beat Peterhansel. Robby said as much in interviews. Robby and Nassar have also demonstrated the result of balls out driving in a 14 day race. Nobody can race at the bloody edge for 40 hours over 14 days without making a critical mistake along the way.

Robby made a comment towards the end of the rally that put some light on the other element. That is the superior speed the 4X, short-travel suspended Minis have in the twisty dirt road sections that make up so much of the course. If you watch Robby push the Hummer through those sections it looks slow and inefficient. That big travel suspension is bouncing, bobbing, and leaning like a low rider with a short in the control panel.

That means he has to compensate by pushing it and take more chances in the dunes where the Hummer excels.

(edit, video added) Not the best videography but latter part of this clip demonstrates what I'm talking about.

Now if there was a way to incorporate some kind of Skyhook-like active suspension into a buggy concept, that might tip the scales. A suspension that is firm on the roads but soft and long travel in the dunes and able to absorb big hits would allow it to adapt to the wide range of conditions during the race. I don't know if the technology is there yet, or even the rules allow it, but it would even things up some between the two types of cars.

Sparrowhawk screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 06:28 PM
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #546
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,056
It is his weapon of choice. Robbie designed and built this car as a Class 1 buggy, sold it to Cameron Theriot who raced it for about a year, and then Robbie bought it back and started multiple re-configurations as the Hummmmmmmbuggy. Long travel suspension and cornering just don't mix and its more than just body roll, center of gravity is also much higher with long travel.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #547
klatelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
First off let me say thanks to all who give of their time to post here good bad or whatever. I agree with Sparrowhawk. From an engineering stand point the car while good at certain task is not a good fit as an all around machine. Now given a 10 mile whoop section, those cars even the euro buggys would get seriously spanked. I'm not sure if active suspension is legal and have no knowledge of the rule book. In fairness to RG I beleive his decision to race was last minute and further I also recall him saying last year he would be back with a new car. I,m glad he was back but he should have saved the smack talking till he won. His prerace antics reminded me of Taladega Nights. The red neck super charging last year was classic though. Thats really cool and reminiscent of Ferarri F1 team antics.
klatelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #548
The Toecutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontwheel21 View Post
I became a RG fan when I saw this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfG3KgSR7fU

Awesome!
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #549
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,495
http://youtu.be/acCikUwhM2w

KOH 2012 Pre run
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #550
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post

Now if there was a way to incorporate some kind of Skyhook-like active suspension into a buggy concept, that might tip the scales. A suspension that is firm on the roads but soft and long travel in the dunes and able to absorb big hits would allow it to adapt to the wide range of conditions during the race. I don't know if the technology is there yet, or even the rules allow it, but it would even things up some between the two types of cars.

Remote actuation of heavy duty swaybar & disconects could help in this with swaybar designed in a way that limits total suspension travel when engaged for the tighter WRC style portions of the Dakar?

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #551
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,223
good times

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 11:37 AM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #552
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
good times

Dammit, now I want to spend $270 on a 2wd Traxxas Slash RC car

Met the Adventura 4x4 guys at the stage in Copiapo, they were salivating over our friends '12 Jeep 4 door wrangler with all the catalog goodies you could bolt to it along with over head tent, interviewed him for a good 10-15min
Old 01-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #553
Dirt2007
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,814
Any pics of the jeep?
Dirt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #554
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude View Post
Dammit, now I want to spend $270 on a 2wd Traxxas Slash RC car

Met the Adventura 4x4 guys at the stage in Copiapo, they were salivating over our friends '12 Jeep 4 door wrangler with all the catalog goodies you could bolt to it along with over head tent, interviewed him for a good 10-15min
You can get one with the Humbuggy body too.

Tip: the Slash is good for screwing around. Requires lotsa of mods to make it a reliable racer though.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #555
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
good times

Sucks the real one doesn't flip back over that easy..lol
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is online now   Reply With Quote