one word

maxpedition

+1
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
I get upgraded lots and and am preferred with most airlines, so I always carry-on and never check (I'm at an airport now).

If you're lugging weight, wheels are best and backpacks second best. Tumi is the way to go for either.

If you pack light and don't have to haul a laptop, the op's bag looks killer. I'd do it.

And guys, don't look like an amateur when you travel. Pjs, sweats, cloth bags, Nike bags, flip flops, winter coats, scarves, shorts and smelly sandwiches, et al mark you for the fool you are and you'll be treated accordingly.

And lose some weight, for Christ sake, if you're in a middle seat.

And blow your fucking nose!! I don't wanna listen to you sniff for 5 hours.

Oh, and Bose noise canceling headphones are wonderful.

Argh.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
how much do you travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
i switched from bose noise cancelling headphones to sennheiser, as the sennheiser works in passive mode when the batteries die. i then switched to shure noise blocking headphones, as they don't require batteries, and block out screaming babies much better.

i also don't do roll-aboards anymore- hand carry from bike to plane for me:
http://www.aerostich.com/medium-moto...-seat-bag.html
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
I get upgraded lots and and am preferred with most airlines, so I always carry-on and never check (I'm at an airport now).

If you're lugging weight, wheels are best and backpacks second best. Tumi is the way to go for either.

If you pack light and don't have to haul a laptop, the op's bag looks killer. I'd do it.

And guys, don't look like an amateur when you travel. Pjs, sweats, cloth bags, Nike bags, flip flops, winter coats, scarves, shorts and smelly sandwiches, et al mark you for the fool you are and you'll be treated accordingly.

And lose some weight, for Christ sake, if you're in a middle seat.

And blow your fucking nose!! I don't wanna listen to you sniff for 5 hours.

Argh.
+++++++++

Please, for the love of christ just be small if you're going to take a middle seat. If you're large, buy a better ticket.

Back on topic....I just use a Ducati-branded Puma messenger bag, though I've been looking at what bags Prada/Cartier offer. There's not a lot out there if you're used to a larger bag and want something very nice and high-quality leather. If you're looking for just something there are tons of options. Really anything will do, but Tumi makes nice quality stuff (so does Samsonite, though many items have gone down in quality recently).

PS posting from first class on a plane right now using Bose QC15s
Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #20
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconati View Post
+++++++++

Please, for the love of christ just be small if you're going to take a middle seat. If you're large, buy a better ticket.

Back on topic....I just use a Ducati-branded Puma messenger bag, though I've been looking at what bags Prada/Cartier offer. There's not a lot out there if you're used to a larger bag and want something very nice and high-quality leather. If you're looking for just something there are tons of options. Really anything will do, but Tumi makes nice quality stuff (so does Samsonite, though many items have gone down in quality recently).

PS posting from first class on a plane right now using Bose QC15s
I'm suffering in 2a right now. Couldn't get an aisle. Though, it's nice to not be jostled by shopping bags, carried by the unwashed, being loaded into the back.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #21
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,991
I use this, Hartman Carry on. Tough and my wife won it on some company raffle, so the price was right.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #22
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
I'm sick of using my old MEC backpack as a carry on, time to upgrade to something a little....shinier.

Thinking of this:
http://www.filson.com/products/sport...bag.70266.html

the saddleback leather stuff looks pretty good but a little too pricey IMO.

Any of YFFs have something in carry on size requirements that you would recommend?

Don't listen to the haters. Sometimes it's nice to have nice things.

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:

Yep. I've had a Tumi leather garment bag since 1988, it's an awesome bag but I should have gotten ballistic for the weight; I traveled around the world with it for about five years, now it sits in a closet - still functional, I just don't need a garment bag since I stopped wearing suits to work. I also have an expandable ballistic carry bag and a ballistic wheeled bag with a handle, both from Tumi, I've had each of them for about 15 years. All of my Tumi bags have over a million miles on them, and each is still functional. I've replaced a couple of zippers over time, but that's it - no rips or tears. It's expensive stuff, but worth it. Not as stylish as a Filson, but it works and it will last you a career and look good doing it, and black ballistic nylon never looks dated. I've taken to traveling with one of the smaller carry-on bags and a backpack; I have a nice Tumi leather briefcase and a Brenthaven ballistic computer bag that I used to take everywhere, but I prefer the convenience of a backpack since computer, iPad, chargers, etc. became a centerpiece of life on the road.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
I'm suffering in 2a right now. Couldn't get an aisle. Though, it's nice to not be jostled by shopping bags, carried by the unwashed, being loaded into the back.
I was in 4D - samesies with the aisle. The FF with the aisle seat didn't want to get up when I needed to use the restroom either. Must have been a silver with a last minute upgrade.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #25
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
I have the Oakley Icon Backpack...

Good size, can hold a laptop, durable so far.
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #26
PvtIdaho
Deck Spotter

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I have this bag in black. The Patagonia "MLC" Maximum Legal Carry-on.

You can find it cheaper than the US$160.00.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...?p=48107-0-015
It's a good piece of gear. We've got 2. It'll fit in lots more places than the less flexible bags. Our original is at least 12 years old and still going strong.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow

Oddometer: 927
So I picked up the sportsman, it's in the overhead as we speak, awesome, well built bag, I am now a bag whore
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
So I picked up the sportsman, it's in the overhead as we speak, awesome, well built bag, I am now a bag whore

You know there are a bunch of cheap fuckers in the house when it's the Guzzi owner who is encouraging you to spend money!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,693
I'm sure it is a very nice murse.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #30
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post

Looks nice, but it's also expensive. I was always taught to travel "under the radar", so to speak. That bag practically screams "steal me, I have expensive things". I guess it depends on where you travel, though.

I usually just use a cheap, small duffle. If it starts to tear or break, I can replace it cheap. Right now, I've got one of these. Small LLBean duffle bag, bright f**king yellow. Fully packed, I've carried: snowboarding jacket / pants / gloves / hat / goggles, 4 pairs of jeans, 10 T-shirts, 2 long sleeve button downs, toiletries, a 15" laptop (with charger), and a GoPro (with a few of the mounts). It's all about how you pack it. On top of looking fairly unassuming (and, I'm usually not well dressed either), it's also bright f**king yellow. Which is good, because you really can't loose sight of your bag.
I use that exact bag nearly every day for my change of clothes when I commute to work. We better not stand next to each other.

I wouldn't use it as a carry-on bag though...not anywhere close to the size limits. I prefer to max out the size limits...not that I have to pack that much...but if I needed to, I have the liberty to, and I'm much more likely to be able to avoid the baggage claim areas. The opening is also really friggin narrow to be stuffing so much into it.

Carry-on wise, I have two go-to bags. You're allowed to bring two...so I have two. One that fits just barely under seat, and one that fits, just barely, in the overhead compartment, and both fit within CONUS carry-on limitations. Tumi happens to be my version, but they all have options that work--hartmann, Samsonite, etc. I lean towards the travel-specific brands, because they generally figure out the needs as a whole system, not just single pieces

The Filson is pretty good for the under seat option. Nice wide opening. It could stand to be a hair bigger. Classic look. Army-Issue durability. True, you're paying for the brand, not the durability (Army issue is cheap). But screw it, it's a nice brand. If you can afford it, go for it.

The criteria for the overhead compartment bag is that it be wheeled, and can hang the under-seat one over the side so that the weight is balanced on the wheels, and I can all literally control it with one finger as I *sprint* to the gate, regardless of what I'm carrying. I can buy a dozen bottles of scotch at the duty free shop, and still move easily and quickly. The overhead one also has got to be built w/ nothing that could be easily destroyed on the outside if I had to check it. I've sent ski bags, and back packs through, and you'd be amazed how reckless those handlers/machines are at keeping loose ends attached.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: