User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
tennessee thumper OP
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 638
NADA, please put down the pipe!

Traded a 73 75/5 for a 92 GSPD in 2010. I got the good end of the deal I think. Markel was the only company I could find, after much research, that would write an agreed value policy for the bike. I got an apprasial from Mark at RePsycle back in 2010 on the PD for $5,800. Seemed reasonable.

I'm having some issues with Markel on rates and tried to shop around again today, with little satisfaction. I will continue with Markel for the time being.

The real fly in the pudding here is NADA and their value assesment. All the insurance providers I spoke with today only valued the PD at $1300 for a total loss replacement value. The PD is in the "nebulus" not yet a classic but not a modern bike. Hagarty and othe classic vehicle providers do not offer agreed value on bikes that are not yet 25 yrs old.
NADA is the only way the insurance providers can and will value a motorcycle for a non agreed value policy. The NADA value of these and similar bikes is way off and to me indicated they are not doing their due diligence(sp?) with this and other models.

See NADA posting of the PD below.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...S-DAKAR/Values

My tounge and fingers are not able to express in word how silly this is and what a disservice NADA is to the m/c market when it comes to this and some other bikes.

If any of you feel as strongly as I do please write a note to NADA with your opinion. I did. Link below.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Contact

tennessee thumper screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 02:31 PM
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Kelly blue book lists a trade-in value of $3380 and a retail of $5385 for a '92 PD which I'd say is pretty much right on.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,548
The problem with both NADA and KBB is that they pull their data from two sources, dealers and the very, very limited number of "reported" sales each year.

The data is to some extent worthless, and in the car game is heavily massaged by dealer reporting to ensure they can buy used vehciles for what they consider to be a good price.

That said, NADA on line provides the values below for a '92 GSPD

Excellent$3265
Very Good$2105
Good$1375
Fair$730
PoorN/A

KBB on-line says:

Excellent Condition $5,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
I've never heard of NADA, but when I had a claim on my '78 R80/7, Statefarm said they don't rely on KBB or similar, they do searches to see what similar bikes are selling for. (and my agent is my cousin so he wasn't lying;) ).
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Agreed Value

In my experience, an agreed value policy specifies the value of the insured item for a specified period.
If you don't agree on the value of the bike, go elsewhere, there is a market for this. Expect an appraisal.

It is just like betting.
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,947
If you insure with Hagerty, you can declare the value you want it insured for and all they require is a picture and basic description of the bike and work done to it.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #7
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
If you insure with Hagerty, you can declare the value you want it insured for and all they require is a picture and basic description of the bike and work done to it.

Mike
IIRC, hagerty won't give you an agreed value policy on vehicles less than either 25 or 30 years old, which doesn't quite cover the newest airheads yet.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
IIRC, hagerty won't give you an agreed value policy on vehicles less than either 25 or 30 years old, which doesn't quite cover the newest airheads yet.
Yeah, one minor detail I forgot about. Also supposed to be limited use as well, so would not work for a daily rider.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,652
NADA uses original pricing and an algorithm... sorta like the weatherman who doesn't look out the window!

Don't get me started on NADA in my field of yacht brokerage... people come in pointing to NADA and I just tell them that, if they can find that boat at that price, they ought to buy it, sight unseen. TOTALLY unrealistic (they are off by hundreds of thousands, at least 25%!)

Ok, rant over....

Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,069
Insurance. Scam. Period.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 692
I agree with Cholo9

I would absolutely LOVE to love insurance companies but I own a business and live on earth so... tough to do.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
goatroper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
You might also ask your agent or broker to look for stated value insurance. I have no experience with it and don't know how it differs technically from agreed value insurance but it seems that the big underwriters feature it.
goatroper is offline   Reply With Quote