ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #9046
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev95GS View Post
He looks like he's got some LED lights on his undercarriage.
IHF has all of the high-tech options
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #9047
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
IHF has all of the high-tech options
... and his pets.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #9048
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Tire Advice

Any body have every tried a shinko 705, 150/70/17, fits GS 1200 sells for 87.99 on Rocky mountain atv Looks good and reviews are good, considered the Anakee 2, and the Metzeler MCE both are about twice the money of the 705. Some times you get what you pay for , just thinkin out loud here.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #9049
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
Troy,

You and the other inmates have been invited to FerrySTOC4 as I mentioned on this past weekend's ride. Like I said, it would be nice to have a showing of the ADV guys attend this year's event. You do NOT need to ride a sport touring bike to attend. I would like to offer some mixed ADV style rides for the big bore ADV bikes as well as the sport touring loops. A RTE will be held at Lambert's Throwed Rolls in Sikeston, MO again this year as last year's reviews were a hit.

The link to the event is here: http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...-Landing-SP-TN

All I ask is that anyone wanting to attend signs up on that site's attendee list. You get FREE camping for doing so!

Camping is provided by the Paris Landing Tourism League and all we ask is that you try to make your purchases local when in the area.

If this coming Sunday is nice enough, I might be up for another ride. I would be interested in doing a ride down into Houston Co and then cross the ferry over to Benton Co. I'm thinking that it would be a good ride for the Tenere and similar bikes. No single track but plenty of gravel roads that I can put us on.
Hey TM, gonna be around 60 on Monday, might be able to get away, I'm just sayin ! ! !
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #9050
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnit man View Post
Any body have every tried a shinko 705, 150/70/17, fits GS 1200 sells for 87.99 on Rocky mountain atv Looks good and reviews are good, considered the Anakee 2, and the Metzeler MCE both are about twice the money of the 705. Some times you get what you pay for , just thinkin out loud here.
I have a Shinko 705 130/80/17 on my bike currently. It's not the greatest when running stuff like we did this last weekend, BUT for running gravel/fast packed dirt/pavement, I have been extremely happy with them. They are long lasting, stable, and predictable. I probably ride my KLR only slightly more aggressive than you ride the GS (just a guess) and I think it'd be a great fit for the GS.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #9051
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
I'm stuck on the Bridgestone Battlewings for the V-Strom. They have been the OEM tires for at least a few GS's. Great on pavement, OK on gravel and dry dirt, worthless in mud. More $ than the 705's, but they are Radial (whatever that means) Less $ than the others you mentioned.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #9052
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
I have a Shinko 705 130/80/17 on my bike currently. It's not the greatest when running stuff like we did this last weekend, BUT for running gravel/fast packed dirt/pavement, I have been extremely happy with them. They are long lasting, stable, and predictable. I probably ride my KLR only slightly more aggressive than you ride the GS (just a guess) and I think it'd be a great fit for the GS.
Thanks Matt, good to know ! ! see ya
Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #9053
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
I've run the E705 on both the Wee Strom and the XR650R. Not a long life tire but decent wear and comfortable grip. Maybe 5k miles till bald on the Wee and sub 2k miles on the XR. It's not good in mud but it's great on any hardpack surface.

I did manage 10k miles on my first Anakee 2 but it was a lot of highway miles between Maine-TN and then TN-MT-TN. My current Anakee 2 is nearly done for around 5-6k miles but I played a lot in the mountains of TN-NC and AR-OK. These two tires were on the Tenere.

You get what you pay for. I'm thinking about trying an E705 on the Tenere but I know it won't last as long as the Anakee. I change my own tires so mounting costs don't worry me.

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #9054
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
I've run the E705 on both the Wee Strom and the XR650R. Not a long life tire but decent wear and comfortable grip. Maybe 5k miles till bald on the Wee and sub 2k miles on the XR. It's not good in mud but it's great on any hardpack surface.

I did manage 10k miles on my first Anakee 2 but it was a lot of highway miles between Maine-TN and then TN-MT-TN. My current Anakee 2 is nearly done for around 5-6k miles but I played a lot in the mountains of TN-NC and AR-OK. These two tires were on the Tenere.

You get what you pay for. I'm thinking about trying an E705 on the Tenere but I know it won't last as long as the Anakee. I change my own tires so mounting costs don't worry me.
I change mine too, and yes you do get what you pay for is a good general rule ! after reading reviews on the 705 my curiosity got the best of me. I talked to several to night in Nashville that run the Heidenau K60 scout, and they really think it is probably the best for mileage and off road capability. Kevin has 7000 on a GS 1200 and still several thousand to go, this is a rear tire we are talking about.Jim also rides a GS 1200 and agreed with Kevin it did seem to be the best over Metzeler and Mchelin due to the grip off road mainly.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #9055
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
I change mine too, and yes you do get what you pay for is a good general rule ! after reading reviews on the 705 my curiosity got the best of me. I talked to several to night in Nashville that run the Heidenau K60 scout, and they really think it is probably the best for mileage and off road capability. Kevin has 7000 on a GS 1200 and still several thousand to go, this is a rear tire we are talking about.Jim also rides a GS 1200 and agreed with Kevin it did seem to be the best over Metzeler and Mchelin due to the grip off road mainly.
I just ordered a K-60 scout for the rear on my KLR. I've been hearing alot of good things about the K-60 & IMO the tread pattern looks very cool, so I decided to try one. It has to be better off road than the Perelli Skorpions I have now. I've had two wipe outs that did damage to my bike & I'm "reasonably sure" they wouldn't have happened with better tires.

The Skorpions are a GREAT street tire. They were on my bike when I bought her & I've put 7,000 miles on them so far. They are cupping a little but, still have deep tread left. I'm guessing at least 2,000 more miles left on them. I'll just toss the Skorpions in a corner & save them for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #9056
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
A tire thread?

Quote:
I have over 10K on my k60 Scouts. They are definitely a good news/bad news set of tires.
Good news - They last a LONG time.
Bad news - They're a HARD compound.

I got 4 K on the Conti TKC's, 5K on a Kenda Big Block and 10,000 miles on the Heidenau's. And there's a bunch left on the rear. Amazing.

Their performance is okay. I was pretty disappointed in their off-road capability at first.. That-is until I aired them down. Made a HUGE difference. Way more so than any other tire I've had. But I've kicked out the rear more than once on the street. Was cool out, but the tires were warm. Not much confidence in them railing. (But we 'get along' okay.)

I'd love a good combination somewhere between the TKC80 and Scouts. Those TKC's are amazing on the street. Guess that's what the softer compound brings you.

The Heidie's are great to spoon on for extended trips. But day/day, I think I prefer a softer compound tire.

note: I think my front Heidenau will wear out before the rear..
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #9057
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
I have over 10K on my k60 Scouts. They are definitely a good news/bad news set of tires.
Good news - They last a LONG time.
Bad news - They're a HARD compound.

I got 4 K on the Conti TKC's, 5K on a Kenda Big Block and 10,000 miles on the Heidenau's. And there's a bunch left on the rear. Amazing.

Their performance is okay. I was pretty disappointed in their off-road capability at first.. That-is until I aired them down. Made a HUGE difference. Way more so than any other tire I've had. But I've kicked out the rear more than once on the street. Was cool out, but the tires were warm. Not much confidence in them railing. (But we 'get along' okay.)

I'd love a good combination somewhere between the TKC80 and Scouts. Those TKC's are amazing on the street. Guess that's what the softer compound brings you.

The Heidie's are great to spoon on for extended trips. But day/day, I think I prefer a softer compound tire.

note: I think my front Heidenau will wear out before the rear..
That is the best comparison between the K60, TKC and Big Block I've ever read and it echos my experiences exactly, except my mileages have been slightly lower.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #9058
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
That is the best comparison between the K60, TKC and Big Block I've ever read and it echos my experiences exactly, except my mileages have been slightly lower.
What are you running on the big bike currently?
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #9059
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
What are you running on the big bike currently?
K60's on the Tenere. I have almost 8K on the rear, which is by far a new record for me with any tire on any bike. However, I'm at the wear bars, so it will be coming off soon. I have a new one on the garage but I'm dreading spooning it on, especially in cold weather.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #9060
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
I'm stuck on the Bridgestone Battlewings for the V-Strom. They have been the OEM tires for at least a few GS's. Great on pavement, OK on gravel and dry dirt, worthless in mud. More $ than the 705's, but they are Radial (whatever that means) Less $ than the others you mentioned.
Thank you Troy and to everyone who has chimed in on the tire issue ! ! Hope to see you all again very soon ! ! Maybe this Sunday ?