Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #18286
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
What HRC plans is what all the Dakar bikes are doing, and have been doing... Going smaller and lighter.

KTM will replace their current platform next couple of years (possibly next) as it was one of the heavier bikes.

HRC will merely be following suit to match or fall under the BMW/u Husky and Yamaha scales.

I think the ASO may be enjoying a more technical race format and for riders where lighter becomes easier.

Remember back when Boxers and LC8's ruled the Dakar? Oh the good old days... But it looks like these times a changing.
From Honda Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avgas View Post
Perhaps it was their plan to build a new bike from the ground up for the dakar, but doing so would have meant they would miss this years race. So they threw together a different bike so that they could gain some experience this year.
I'm agreeing with this line. Honda has the know how, but the time is another story. There's plenty of aftermarket parts and they can easily assemble a win-capable bike. Even with good support and proven techs in the short span of time, the unforeseen and unplanned pops up easily.

Besides, I'm sure Honda smells a market. KTM created their 'Rallye Edition' for a new market if you will. I'm sure that with all the talk of a new bike (a 'CR450 Rallye' ) was probably already in the works in Japan by the time the HRC team hit Peru.

Actually I expect it to become more and more like Moto GP, different Manufacturers racing closer to the same spec. The Bultacos and one offs will become a dying breed..
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #18287
Lgo175
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
From Honda Thread:

I'm agreeing with this line. Honda has the know how, but the time is another story. There's plenty of aftermarket parts and they can easily assemble a win-capable bike. Even with good support and proven techs in the short span of time, the unforeseen and unplanned pops up easily.

Besides, I'm sure Honda smells a market. KTM created their 'Rallye Edition' for a new market if you will. I'm sure that with all the talk of a new bike (a 'CR450 Rallye' ) was probably already in the works in Japan by the time the HRC team hit Peru.

Actually I expect it to become more and more like Moto GP, different Manufacturers racing closer to the same spec. The Bultacos and one offs will become a dying breed..
How about Gas Gas ? Will they continue?
Lgo175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #18288
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgo175 View Post
How about Gas Gas ? Will they continue?
I would think so, Gas Gas is doing more on the enduro front as it is (not just their trials/smaller cc base). As invisible as it may look, they are trying to increase their market share in the US as well. Their riders and bikes are showing up in more places. If they can field the Dakar team for more exposure - why not?

All three riders finished, and If not for the issues they had, all of them would have probably finished well. Guach 27 / Sanz, 98 (on pace to be 30's) / Herrera117 (who ran 30-60's in previous attempts) I think Laia has done a great job for Gas Gas so far with both ranking and publicity. Unless there's some great falling out or financial issues, I can't see a reason for her not to come back. She wants to break the 30's and might have if not for bad luck this year.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 AM   #18289
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla314 View Post
Video from Manu! on his way to the podium.

Ha! - now that is an epic ride - one handed, doing a piece to camera, while being towed! Congratulations Manny!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #18290
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
Moreover, Ruben Faria revealed some grief for not get any portuguese sponsoring, something that affects many portuguese athletes.
"It's a bit frustrating for all of us athletes, many of whom are my friends, and all complain of the same. Fortunately, right now I'm in a foreign team, I can not complain much, but I would like to have portuguese sponsor," he lamented .
I always thought the "Cyril moving to Honda" thing was a total red-herring (in fact I'm pretty sure someone here just made it up pre-Dakar for fun!)...

However, Ruben says he doesn't have a [KTM] contract for Dakar 2014 - so could this be a thinly veiled pitch to team up with Helder next year? - two top riders from Portugal on the same team? - that should help bring in the escudos!!! (sorry, Euros now...)

Jx
Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #18291
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
What HRC plans is what all the Dakar bikes are doing, and have been doing... Going smaller and lighter.

KTM will replace their current platform next couple of years (possibly next) as it was one of the heavier bikes.

HRC will merely be following suit to match or fall under the BMW/u Husky and Yamaha scales.
I would agree - the 2013 Dakar Honda looked fantastic, but it was overly complicated and bulky in comparison... especially compared to something like the Meca'System CRF kit (photos shamelessly robbed from the RMS facebook page, thanks Dave x)

This kit carries 31 litres of fuel, in a similar format to the Speedbrain Huskys (that is a 26L main rear subframe tank, and a small 5L header tank together with a high-mounted airbox... best of all, look at all that space around the engine for cooling and servicing access?

Another thing to consider is that the current CRF (the X that is, not the R) is actually the oldest chassis/engine on the market at the moment, being essentially unchanged from 2004... I imagine any 'new' rally bike (and corresponding Enduro X model) is going to be based much more closely on the current generation R version - with or without an e-start in Rally trim (much like the YZF based Yamaha of Olivier Pain for example?)

It is going to be interesting to see what they come up with!

Jx
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 AM   #18292
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Craig Bounds

HI all thought you might be interested in this update on Craig Bounds injury:

"
Hi all

Hope you're all well and not fed up with the snow! It's starting again up here - what a difference to the desert aye.

Well, when we arrived back day before yesterday we got Craig an appointment straight away with sporting Wales who look after many elite athletes in Wales. They decided that Craig should get a scan for his back straight away and would you believe it they found that he had fractured his vertebrae in 2 places in his neck!!!! How did the xrays at the Dakar miss that??? The doctors were gobsmacked he had carried on riding for 9 days after the injury - we can only be thankful that he is still walking as they consider this injury an unstable spine and a great risk of severing the spinal cord. If anyone goes to the hospital with this injury, normally they are strapped to a back board while they stabilise it and obviously dont go riding in the desert for 9 days in the toughest race in the world. We can't believe it...

He called me up after the scan and really casually said I've broken my neck and have to go to A & E. Luckily he doesnt have to have an operation and is still in hospital getting a neck brace fitted which he has to wear for the next 8 weeks.

Still in shock...."

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 AM   #18293
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post

"
Hi all

Hope you're all well and not fed up with the snow! It's starting again up here - what a difference to the desert aye.

Well, when we arrived back day before yesterday we got Craig an appointment straight away with sporting Wales who look after many elite athletes in Wales. They decided that Craig should get a scan for his back straight away and would you believe it they found that he had fractured his vertebrae in 2 places in his neck!!!! How did the xrays at the Dakar miss that??? The doctors were gobsmacked he had carried on riding for 9 days after the injury - we can only be thankful that he is still walking as they consider this injury an unstable spine and a great risk of severing the spinal cord. If anyone goes to the hospital with this injury, normally they are strapped to a back board while they stabilise it and obviously dont go riding in the desert for 9 days in the toughest race in the world. We can't believe it...

He called me up after the scan and really casually said I've broken my neck and have to go to A & E. Luckily he doesnt have to have an operation and is still in hospital getting a neck brace fitted which he has to wear for the next 8 weeks.

Still in shock...."

I don't want to imagine what another fall would do to his neck Glad everything turned out ok ...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #18294
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

"
Hi all

Still in shock...."
That's adrenalin for you... Thank goodness he's alright.

In his podium photos he looked miserable, happy but miserable.

Although I can't emphasize this enough: X-rays are only suitable to diagnose major breaks. I've seen way too many people get them and wind up in pain or making an injury worse because of something 'missed.' I'm no doctor but I've had the experience myself and have a friend going through the same right now. I've even seen high-end athletes who should have good coverage caught up in the same and benched for longer than necessary. With the greater technology these days, one should always get an MRI or C-scan, especially when it comes to any joints or moving parts.

This is not a rub on the medical crew at Dakar. My assumption is that the systems they had on site were enough to determine that the spine itself was in order, but they they could not detect the small fractures that would have left him functional but in major pain.

Get well Soon Boundsy!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #18295
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
What do we do now?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #18296
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
Thanks again for another GREAT Ride!!!

RIP Thomas
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #18297
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
That's adrenalin for you

This is not a rub on the medical crew at Dakar. My assumption is that the systems they had on site were enough to determine that the spine itself was in order, but they they could not detect the small fractures that would have left him functional but in major pain.

Get well Soon Boundsy!
Yes and JB was another, not quite to the same extent, but riding from stage 7 on with a fractured Scaphoid.
Not sure if he had an x-ray on site, but a niggling and quite a painful injury sustained after a crash. He did report at the time that he'd hurt it and that it was sore - he did pretty well to ride more than half the rally with it.

Should take a few weeks to recover; let's see if he is fit again for the Desert Challenge as his speed up front will make the rally's a better spectacle
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #18298
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:

"
Hi all

Still in shock...."
Holy excuse-my-French She-it. Man I remember F5ers commenting how dangerous it was to keep riding and hoping he was truly un-injured. Wow, that gave me the shivers.
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #18299
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Big thanks to all masters of the F5irehose! What a great trip it's been. Coma out, Caselli in, HRC's return, Faria's grace, Despre's incredible skill and strategy, Robby's trash talk, Luis keeping us up nights, and all the rest.

The racing is incredible but the F5 community adds a whole extra element. Last year I learned a foreign language (pendejo) and this year I found a new favorite beverage (pisco sour, I believe I prefer them with egg whites).

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #18300
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 356
Just thinking how relieved snooker fans are now on ES...
"Finally a proper match coverage without all the hurry for those weird people racing in the middle of nowhere... Who cares for those bloody desert races, then? And that polish ski dude!"

BTW Thanks everyone!