User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
R100GSPD seat lock ?

Hey, since owning my 1990 GSPD, 14 yrs. I've replaced the seat lock twice because of the plastic housing failing - cracking and taking too much stress. In trying to mount a new-to-me Corbin, today, I noticed my latest lock housing is failing, as well.
Looking up the part # on Bob's BMW site it looks as if a new lock set runs $55 !!
Has anyone else had their locks/housings fail and, if so, have you come up with anything that won't fail?
I'm not so concerned about locking the seat, more interested in having the tongue, attached to the seat, be accepted in the lock and keeping the seat secure. It seems that the lock system is the only way to ensure the seat won't come off
Any help, creative solutions, pics, would be appreciated.
LarryGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 464
This is the original seat lock for my 92 after a failed try to repair with JB Weld
 photo P4094047_zps3c34ef1a.jpg

Here is the next try with good ole JB Weld........
 photo P4094051-1_zpse4bfefc0.jpg

It been holding for 3 years now

I'm a Certified JB welder

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
To get a seat lock to fail it would first have to work.
I've not had very good luck with BMW seat latches lock.
Three different bikes three different latches all of them do not work very all.

I was never able to get the corbin to latch very well with the stock lock deal.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

Squish, what did you do as an alternative? Thanks, L
Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
gs lock

people put the seat in place and then give it a smack with their hand and its not really lined up.set the seat on then carefully feel the male portion of the lock fall into place.i've had 2 in 84,000 miles.last one was around 30.00 i think.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
atlthrux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I saw Beater smack my seat into place once, but I've not been able to replicate his Fonzie-esque touch. I think my lock's metal catch is too worn to consistently catch the seat hook. I'm like Larry & just want something (cheap) to hold my seat on...and don't care about locking & don't feel like messing w/ the lock for 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaburro View Post
people put the seat in place and then give it a smack with their hand and its not really lined up.set the seat on then carefully feel the male portion of the lock fall into place.i've had 2 in 84,000 miles.last one was around 30.00 i think.
atlthrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
AirGsPd
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 115
Cable Tie

I have the exact same problem with a Corbin seat. Even when I get it to latch it comes loose during driving. I started using a black cable tie that I push through in between the seat and the tongue base. Then I place the seat in position, feed the one end of the cable tie through below the lock, and after pressing the the tongue into the lock I close the cable tie and put it under tension to hold the seat down. I have four cable ties in the tool box in case I need to lift the seat up during a trip. The only downside that I see is, that you have to cut the cable tie to lift the seat off. Oh well, I guess I can live with that inconvenience. For me the problem is solved until I find a better solution.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGS View Post
Squish, what did you do as an alternative? Thanks, L
I don't store my tools under the seat and my "preload" keeps the seats in place whenim on the bike.
Ive got the seat and latch to line up on the gs and the st the pin goes into the hole on the r80
Old 01-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

I did the zip-tie Air described, then had my wife and me on the seat - seems to work well. Also, I found a rubber tie-down strap that will work nicely across the divide between the passenger and driver and attach to the TT racks. Not perfect, but better than unsecured.
I wonder what it is with Corbin seats not working well with the lock system? I do have a Corbin solo seat that locks in nicely, but 2 Corbin dual seats that don't work well.
Larry
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,907
This problem was raised on an old thread a few years ago. I posted some pics of a titanium hat section that I made at work to encase the stock latch. The cracking problem was cured and my latch will last until the end of time. I've not got the time to go through my old posts but hopefully I can give this a better look at this weekend.
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
This problem was raised on an old thread a few years ago. I posted some pics of a titanium hat section that I made at work to encase the stock latch. The cracking problem was cured and my latch will last until the end of time. I've not got the time to go through my old posts but hopefully I can give this a better look at this weekend.
Thanks........................

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Here you go... Hope the link works.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=seat+latch
Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
LarryGS OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the pic Jackd. That looks like something I might be able to craft, though it probably won't be as good as yours. L
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 637
My .02 sense

Ok, for what it's worth, I have gone through a few myself. And here is what I found at least for me....

The trick is the seating of the seat bucket on the rails. If the rubber grommets are missing, flattened, wrong size, wrong placement, generally worn, etc, the seat relies on the seat lock to support weight....IT CAN'T.

The seat lock should only be "locking" the seat to the bike. It should not be supporting any weight. So if the rear of the seat bucket when in the seatlock is 1/2 inch from the rails....when a passenger gets on, all her weight is now on a lock that probably has weight spec of 40 pounds. Unless she is a Victoria Secrets supermodel who typically weigh in at 39 pounds, you will have a failure.

Just my .02.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #15
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

The latch definitely takes the full load if the seat rubbers are damaged or missing. (I wonder if you could buy replacement items?) In my situation, all the rubbers were in place and like new - the latch was cracked on one side anyway and therefore the fix. I imagine that if the latch is adjusted too high, it would also be taking the full weight of the passenger and destroying itself.