Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Good call on the adjustability!...completely forgot about that drawing it up. The lights as it sits are adjustable with the 3 bolts/springs holding them on like most OEM's use. I'll work on it a bit tonight and break it up so there is some adjustment between the base w/lights and dash, or if i'm feeling ambitious break it up into another smaller section. More work on the front end and more bolted joints to fret (fret -> aluminum oxide ->loss of clamp load + fatigue cracks), but it should make a better product and help minimize the size of the raw material needed to get it going.
Do not get carried out with the calculations, 3mm AL plate with dampeners everywhere and nordlocks will survive forever, Designs fail due to vibrations mainly because there are not enough dampeners. Even poor designs can survive if you use proper dampeners. I know that making the tower from lots of parts increases the probability of failure but then again it is easier to change a small bracket that was intentionally designed to fail (more like Paul's plastic shear bolts) or to provide adjustability than having to change the whole Tower Either way, that is evolution. You design something and you see what needs to be changed. When I designed these two towers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AavtnGfcS4c

It was not possible to know all about functionality. Now, I know what needs to be done in order to attach them, bolt them, adjust them etc so I can improve the design... In the above towers every single angle is adjustable. I wanted to go with everything and start removing degrees of freedom if need be. Now I know exactly how many of them I need...
Keep the sharp corners to a minimum and put radii everywhere of you can and do remember that the top plate and the two plates that you have underneath will not match perfectly due to sheet metal bending not being perfect. I think that the weld does not need to be continuous, If you want to go to the extremes you will predict where it will fail due to dynamic loading and make it possible to fix it on site using mechanical connection

Looking forward to seeing the next steps