Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #15571
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,634
I've posted about this before, but I'll put in another plug for the seat I had Renazco Racing build for my XC. I've been using it for over 20,000 miles now, and it makes a huge difference.

I asked for it to be shaped with a little less dish in the middle, combined with a slightly stiffer foam. A flatter overall shape also means I can scoot forward and backward a couple of inches in the seat, whereas the stock dished shape restricted me to one position.

Here's the seat they made me.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #15572
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
And that's exactly the direction I am leaning toward. Short day rides are good on the stocker for me. It's the 800 mile days I have trouble with. Seems the most reasonable solution for me.
Another reason for an AirHawk is that, I discovered with it on my Scram900, it takes some of the shock out when you're on the dirt. A sort of cushioned ride. And, boy, did that bike ever need it!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #15573
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post

--mark
I see the rear of the seat level with the pillion seat and the front on the low setting. Is that because they built the seat up to that height at the back, or is that the way you have the seat mounted? I do like that.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #15574
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Another reason for an AirHawk is that, I discovered with it on my Scram900, it takes some of the shock out when you're on the dirt. A sort of cushioned ride. And, boy, did that bike ever need it!
Ha! I bet it did. Gotta love the old school look of the Scrambler though. Nice pic.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #15575
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
The seam and stitching really show off the craftsmanship of the person who made that.

Quote:
I wonder if a proper suspension would make a Scrambler any better. I love those darn things; retro at its best.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #15576
Billyzoom
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Triumph 800XC riders....how hard is a "beakectomy"?

Hi, all.

I'm currently riding a Ducati S4Rs, and have been doing a lot of research on an Adventure type bike. I've settled on the Triumph 800XC, and may pick one up in the next week. (Small chance I may get a good deal on the larger Tiger Adventure also.) But I'm pretty sure it will be the 800XC.

Problem is, I HATE the styling of most of these bikes, especially the beak. Frankly, it just seems dorky to me. The Triumph is the only bike to me that really has a nice, attractive muscular style. Having said that, I still hate the beak.

So. I WANT A BEAKECTOMY.

When looking at the models yesterday, the regular 800 has a nice small lip in place of the beak, and it seems it would be easy to remove the beak and buy the lip piece, and bolt it up. It appears they mount identically. If that were the case, I'd be in heaven and will pull the trigger.

Have any of you done it? Even if the beak serves a purpose off-road, I still wouldn't want it.

Thanks for any feedback.
Billyzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #15577
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
I have the Roadie without the beak, but I like the beak so i bought one and my dealer put it on when I had my 600 mile service. There are other Roadie owners that like the beak, just buy the XC, remove the beak and it will sell in the flea market in 13 seconds. Then you can regret selling it.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #15578
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Yeah, taking the beak off is super simple, but I personally think it looks better with the beak on. It reminds me of Daffy Duck with his beak shot off when I don't see one on there.

some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #15579
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I have the Roadie without the beak, but I like the beak so i bought one and my dealer put it on when I had my 600 mile service. There are other Roadie owners that like the beak, just buy the XC, remove the beak and it will sell in the flea market in 13 seconds. Then you can regret selling it.
Yeah! What he said. I, and most people, think the beak makes the bike look "right".
But, anyway, check out the roadie and then you'll see what you need. The beak fits the roadie so the roadie cover thingy will fit the XC. But the best option is post on a forum, asking for someone to swap the necessary bits.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #15580
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

I've got to ask, if you're coming from an S4R, what purpose do you want the Tiger for? Will it ever see any offroad use? Because if not, maybe you'd be happier with the regular Tiger 800, and that doesn't have a beak in the first place.

If you're sure you want the XC and want to lose the beak, I'm sure there's a Roadie owner somewhere on here who'd be happy to trade nose parts with you.

--mark

Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #15581
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,486
Buy a crystal white one and I'll swap parts with you from my non-beaked roadie.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #15582
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I see the rear of the seat level with the pillion seat and the front on the low setting. Is that because they built the seat up to that height at the back, or is that the way you have the seat mounted? I do like that.
Good eye. I have it mounted on the low position at the front and high position at the back to get the angle of the seat's slope just right for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The seam and stitching really show off the craftsmanship of the person who made that.
Yeah, Renazco makes top-notch stuff.

--mark

Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #15583
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,152
Enjoy the mud and dirt in your face if you de-beak it... It ain't just for looks.
backwoodsKLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #15584
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,659
Get the Roadie parts (super short beak, basically no visible beak) from the dealer or from bikebandit.com.

You can sell the beak and plastic carrier here in no time. I'm still on the fence of adding a beak to my Roadie. I think it looks better with beak, just haven't gotten to the "non-essential parts" in the farkle list.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #15585
MariusD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyzoom View Post
Hi, all.

I'm currently riding a Ducati S4Rs, and have been doing a lot of research on an Adventure type bike. I've settled on the Triumph 800XC, and may pick one up in the next week. (Small chance I may get a good deal on the larger Tiger Adventure also.) But I'm pretty sure it will be the 800XC.

Problem is, I HATE the styling of most of these bikes, especially the beak. Frankly, it just seems dorky to me. The Triumph is the only bike to me that really has a nice, attractive muscular style. Having said that, I still hate the beak.

So. I WANT A BEAKECTOMY.

When looking at the models yesterday, the regular 800 has a nice small lip in place of the beak, and it seems it would be easy to remove the beak and buy the lip piece, and bolt it up. It appears they mount identically. If that were the case, I'd be in heaven and will pull the trigger.

Have any of you done it? Even if the beak serves a purpose off-road, I still wouldn't want it.

Thanks for any feedback.
I had to check the name on this post just to make sure i wasn't reading one of my old posts, because it sounded like something i would say exactly. I dont care what they say, that beak makes the bike look like the ugly ducklings special step child. Based on looks alone i like the Yamaha Tenere the best, but the regular 800 tiger isnt bad looking either. The 1050 tiger is the real stud imo. It sucks having to choose form over function. I know how u feel.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote