Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by TINK View Post
Now for something completely different...

What about Castrol 4T, anyone using this? It's an old school mineral base SG oil.

TINK

It's really quite simple. API spec SG, 20w-50. It's an air cooled engine, with it's much larger clearances at piston/cylinder compared to liquid cooled engines so 20w is better than 15w. ZDDP is exceedingly important, so some research may be needed for this as even some 'bike' oils are now using reduced ZDDP additive.
As much as I'm a strong proponent of FULL synthetic oils, I think that extending oil changes because it's synthetic is misguided. Synthetics don't break down near as fast as non-synthetics, but, they get contaminated just as fast with acidic byproducts of combustion sneaking past the bigger clearances of an air cooled piston rings. Changing the oil more often using less expensive non-synthetic oil is by far a better way to go.
If only there was available a 20w-50 diesel spec oil [api spec CC -CD], which has very high ZDDP, but most all are 15w-40, too thin for an airhead on a hot summer day.
BTW, I use Castrol 20w-50 bike oil, api spec SG.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #17
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,339
Go to your BMW dealer and buy BMW oil. When Castrol lowered their zinc content like all the other oils I switched to the BMW 20/50. I have put over 100k on an R100 motor and every bike I build I use BMW oil without any problems. The one exception is breaking in a new motor and that is another topic.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
From Mobil's website.
The 15-50 is recommended for flat tappets, but the V-Twin 20-50 has even more ZDDP.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf
Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
The Winner, Castrol 4T 20W50 SG

Thank you all for playing our game today.

I decided to go with the old school oil for the old school bike, mineral base Castrol 4T 20W50 SG. Picked up three quarts at Autozone for just under $20 (5.99 each + tax)

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
As the airhead forum moderator on the BMWMOA forum has a call out for new oil analysis info, it's obviously not easy info to come by? How/where are you guys getting the ZDDP content for the various oils mentioned here. It seems like a no brainer to use the cheapest dino oil in the correct weight & also containing adequate zinc. So, where do you go for these figures mentioned?
FWIW, in my oilhead I use Syn Rotella T-6.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
As the airhead forum moderator on the BMWMOA forum has a call out for new oil analysis info, it's obviously not easy info to come by? How/where are you guys getting the ZDDP content for the various oils mentioned here. It seems like a no brainer to use the cheapest dino oil in the correct weight & also containing adequate zinc. So, where do you go for these figures mentioned?
FWIW, in my oilhead I use Syn Rotella T-6.
This is a point I raise every time Oil comes up. This is why I buy BMW or Spectro oils. I don't know the exact content of these oils but I believe they are high enough.

If you look back to post #8 Backdrifter posted link to another discussion on another forum about the content of ZDDP in motor oils. The letter from Pennzoil is interesting and may have bearing but it is 2.5 years old. Things change awfully fast in this game and I would like something more current.

I was in Advance Auto yesterday and checked the oils out. There was one, I forget the name brand, but there was one that mentioned it had ZDDP. It did not say how much but it was the first time I have seen ZDDP mentioned on an oil label.

The other thing I noticed was that every single oil they had for sale had a rating of SN.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
georgesgiralt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hello !
It is funny to see that in France, the French Total makes oil for classic cars. There are mono graded oils for very old engines and a multi grade 20W50 for engine made between the 60's and 80's.
I think they have sensed a niche market
These oils are delivered in 5 liter metal cans, and priced accordingly...
Of course no mention of the composition nor the actual content of specific additives, but as they are formulated for old engines, one may think they have the proper additives they require ?
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #23
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
There was one, I forget the name brand, but there was one that mentioned it had ZDDP. It did not say how much but it was the first time I have seen ZDDP mentioned on an oil label.
I'm betting it was Brad Penn. Pretty popular with the classic car crowd.

http://www.penngrade1.com/zinc.aspx

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #24
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
from Benchmarkworks

Valvoline VR1 racing oil contains 1800ppm of ZDDP and is now their recommended oil.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #25
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,472
I have a friend here in Orlando that has over 400K on an airhead and he runs old dead dino's only.

I have over 100k on mine reg ooil only.

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Doesn't SG rating meet our need for ZDDP by definition?
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #27
TINK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
SG enough ZDDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomd View Post
Doesn't SG rating meet our need for ZDDP by definition?
That's my understanding, but I could be wrong.
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
from Benchmarkworks

Valvoline VR1 racing oil contains 1800ppm of ZDDP and is now their recommended oil.

Not even sure if this stuff is even available here. I know Duckhams has been gone here for 15 yrs.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #29
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,749
Benchmark works is a US base business who sell a wide range of BMW stuff.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #30
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Back to my question: how do you/I look up the ZDDP for an oil thats sold at retail on my local shelf. I'm not questioning anyones information but it would best to look it up oneself as desired. Maybe call the tech line for every oil? Thats how I happened onto the fact that Quaker State was pkg walmart full syn on the same line as the green full syn. Equipped with being able to look this info up you could keep up as the contracts likely change all the time as maybe the additive pkgs too.
As many car oil have moved toward the "0" ratings I've begun wondering what I "want" for my newer vehicles. As an e.g., Toyota changed the suggested oil for my truck from the one listed in the manual, much of that would seem to be related to making the EPA/MPG figures happen? I worry about the "0" oils in the summer...
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote