User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #46
mrfandangle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Any developments?

Am heading down that way this year and was hoping to do the Bardenas Reales and include some other offroad/trail riding whilst there, will be on a big dual sport bike. Has there been any changes in the laws? Many thanks. Glen.
mrfandangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #47
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfandangle View Post
Am heading down that way this year and was hoping to do the Bardenas Reales and include some other offroad/trail riding whilst there, will be on a big dual sport bike. Has there been any changes in the laws? Many thanks. Glen.
Not as far as I'm aware. Go and enjoy yourselves. But I guess you'll have to look out for things like this
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/56228...=kh.google.com

blacktiger screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 12:31 PM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #48
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,647
As stated..nothing to worry about....try www.wikiloc.com and you'll be able to download routes...if you have a gps that is.

You can get a road map free from the Visitors Centre to show you where you can and can not ride etc.

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.

WIBO screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 02:42 PM
WIBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #49
Snafu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Have just spent xmas riding the Pyrenees and there are some restrictions but very little rhym or reason as to where and why so you have to take notice of any signs.
Some of the Bardenas area is national park and has a lot of restriction especially the La Blanca Baja where you find signs like these to show you where you can ride or as someone else has said visit the visitor centre for a free map. It's on the road going NE from Aguedas.

There is still plenty ride though especially for a bigger bike.

and with so much to see you wont want to be going over the 30kmh speed limit.

Snafu2 screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 03:54 AM Reason: trying to resize images
Snafu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #50
redmurty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Try this site cheers Spud

http://thespanishbiker.wordpress.com...rans-pyrenees/
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #51
Motostrail
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Here you can help www.motostrailadventure.com
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #52
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu2 View Post
Have just spent xmas riding the Pyrenees and there are some restrictions but very little rhym or reason as to where and why so you have to take notice of any signs.
Some of the Bardenas area is national park and has a lot of restriction especially the La Blanca Baja where you find signs like these to show you where you can ride or as someone else has said visit the visitor centre for a free map. It's on the road going NE from Aguedas.
Brilliant riding! But there is both rhym and reason: one of these being the confusion between national and natural park, the Bardena Blanca is both a conservation area and a military firing range! - it's all here on my blog, where you'll also find a link to a brilliant Pyrenean off-road rally

Regs

Simon
The Spanish Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #53
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmurty View Post
Ha ha - you beat me to it Spud1 Cheers

Simes
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Sorry guys and gals - I've just re-read this topic from the beginning!

Here's a review of the latest on the laws over most of Spain - hope you're sitting comfortably!

Regs

Simon
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #55
Snafu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
Brilliant riding! But there is both rhym and reason: one of these being the confusion between national and natural park, the Bardena Blanca is both a conservation area and a military firing range! - it's all here on my blog, where you'll also find a link to a brilliant Pyrenean off-road rally

Regs

Simon
Hi Simon
what I meant by no rhymm or reason is things like you're riding an area outside of any parks and you'll come to a road that has restrictions and then when you later pass by the other end of it there is no restriction. I'm happy with the clearly signed parks that have restrictions as you know exactly where you stand but some other areas make me feel uncomfortable. A lot has to do with translating signs and an inherent feeling that any thing that implies a restriction must mean me, I mistakenly pulled out of riding a heavily signed area due to what I later translated into signs prohibiting collecting fallen timber. I've got an overlay for my digital mapping that shows all parks (and their stus) so that helps but it's just the odd closed to vehicle roads in the middle of knowhere that don't seem to make sense, maybe you could tell me what the procedure is for anyone who'd like to impose such a restriction in Spain is.

There are several wide open gravel tracks into the Bardenas Blanca that have no restrictions signs and yet are excluded from the roads you can use on the information centres maps, likewise there are tracks that follow the irrigation channels in the area that have a restriction on one end only.

Nice blog and info site you have, the rally is of interest as well and is an area we're looking at returning to this year.

Cheers, Rob
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #56
Brick Top
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motostrail View Post
Here you can help www.motostrailadventure.com
Motostrail I have sent you a pm

Brick Top.
Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #57
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu2 View Post
Hi Simon
what I meant by no rhymm or reason is things like you're riding an area outside of any parks and you'll come to a road that has restrictions and then when you later pass by the other end of it there is no restriction. I'm happy with the clearly signed parks that have restrictions as you know exactly where you stand but some other areas make me feel uncomfortable. A lot has to do with translating signs and an inherent feeling that any thing that implies a restriction must mean me, I mistakenly pulled out of riding a heavily signed area due to what I later translated into signs prohibiting collecting fallen timber. I've got an overlay for my digital mapping that shows all parks (and their stus) so that helps but it's just the odd closed to vehicle roads in the middle of knowhere that don't seem to make sense, maybe you could tell me what the procedure is for anyone who'd like to impose such a restriction in Spain is.

There are several wide open gravel tracks into the Bardenas Blanca that have no restrictions signs and yet are excluded from the roads you can use on the information centres maps, likewise there are tracks that follow the irrigation channels in the area that have a restriction on one end only.

Nice blog and info site you have, the rally is of interest as well and is an area we're looking at returning to this year.

Cheers, Rob
Hmm - good point. I know the feeling. There are some guides I can give but give me a little time to find the images I have of most of the common signs that I prepared last year for the HISS rally.

I've ridden in the Bardena several times. Likewise I have some images. Part of the problem there is that the 'circuit trail is the barrier of the military firing range - you don't want to go there!

Regs

Simon
Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #58
The Spanish Biker
The Invaluable Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanish Biker View Post
Hmm - good point. I know the feeling. There are some guides I can give but give me a little time to find the images I have of most of the common signs that I prepared last year for the HISS rally.

I've ridden in the Bardena several times. Likewise I have some images. Part of the problem there is that the 'circuit trail is the barrier of the military firing range - you don't want to go there!

Regs

Simon
I've found the archive I made of all the signs around the HISS rally sites plus a few more, e.g. the Bardenas trails. To save time I'm uploading these onto a special chapter of my blog.

This is pretty much the standard sign - with extra information in Catalan here. You also see 'Autorizados' (Autortzats in Catalan) meaning authorised vehicles/personnel only' and 'Access Vecinos', (Veïns in Catalan) meaning property owners.

Meanwhile. I've come across signs at ibne end of a trail and not the other. I suppose the explanation is that they put the signs up at the most likely entrances to trails, otherwise there would be millions of signs! I guess if you had a pull and could show the kind officer your route and you hadn't passed a sign then you would be OK. That's not so very helpful but it's all there is :(

Most irrigation canals are prohibited simply for safety reason. The most silly one I've come across are two signs side-by-side, one a signpost for a village and then the prohibition next to it! But you do find stretches of canal that are used as public roads - and the public, bless 'em, contrive to drown themselves it their cars with quite astonishing frequency!

That's a good point about the trabnslation. I've often come across these referring to 'hongo's - wild mushrooms (bolets in Catalan) and 'trufas' - truffles. And firewood seems to sound familiar too. A very frequent one that is easy to remember is 'particular', meaning private property. The plus of these signs is that trails leading into private lands tend to go nowhere anyway, saving you a blind ally ride :)

Meanwhile, I'd be very interested to know more about your overlay for land status. In fact the only really important one is national - as opposed to natural - parks. The whole subject is pretty complicated and I describe it in details here. At least in natural parks and reserves the signs are less likely to be ambiguous.

Regs

Simon

The Spanish Biker screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 04:05 AM
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #59
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,019
hi Simon,

i looked at your site and tried to access theroutes > trails section but im asked for a password?
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #60
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
hi Simon,

i looked at your site and tried to access theroutes > trails section but im asked for a password?
It's a perv free zone