ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #4141
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlee View Post
BTW - I have a nice DRZ400S for sale!
How much?
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #4142
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
One thing to consider in the Husky vs KTM discussion is the availability of aftermarket parts and support from dealers. I learned this lesson with my Husaberg, and that bike is 90% KTM, but finding an aftermarket gas tank for it is a nightmare. The KTM will just have WAY more options than the Husky. Only way a I would buy the Husky over the KTM is if there were some good discounts available.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 PM   #4143
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
One thing to consider in the Husky vs KTM discussion is the availability of aftermarket parts and support from dealers. I learned this lesson with my Husaberg, and that bike is 90% KTM, but finding an aftermarket gas tank for it is a nightmare. The KTM will just have WAY more options than the Husky. Only way a I would buy the Husky over the KTM is if there were some good discounts available.
Don't confuse me with logic.
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #4144
maat
meh.

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Husky has a good selection of aftermarket parts, especially compared to my bike (a dutch guy hand welds the only tank available for mine.) Husky is seeing a 16% sales growth last year thanks to the fact they are now owned by BMW, so the selection is only going to get better. Also, if I am not mistaken, they were smart and make most of the parts fit across the entire TE line (350, 449,511)

Anyway, I have never liked the argument about aftermarket availability. Don't get me wrong, it makes total sense, but taken in the extreme we would all be riding the same make/model bike.
maat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 AM   #4145
mrt10x OP
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
Husky has a good selection of aftermarket parts, especially compared to my bike (a dutch guy hand welds the only tank available for mine.) Husky is seeing a 16% sales growth last year thanks to the fact they are now owned by BMW, so the selection is only going to get better. Also, if I am not mistaken, they were smart and make most of the parts fit across the entire TE line (350, 449,511)

Anyway, I have never liked the argument about aftermarket availability. Don't get me wrong, it makes total sense, but taken in the extreme we would all be riding the same make/model bike.
well to be fair your bike was made for ummmmm 1 year And Touratech/safari does make a front tank for your bike too... at least they did for a while.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #4146
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

before discussing a new dirt bike I need to figure out the logistics: Odyssey is toast and my Accord has 247,000 miles, adding a trailer hitch may not be the best option...
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #4147
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
my Accord has 247,000 miles
So its almost broken in?

Put a hitch on it, drive it easy! Its only a cah

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #4148
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
Husky ...the entire TE line (350, 449,511)
a 350 would be nice!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #4149
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
before discussing a new dirt bike I need to figure out the logistics: Odyssey is toast and my Accord has 247,000 miles, adding a trailer hitch may not be the best option...
Buy a truck
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #4150
maat
meh.

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
well to be fair your bike was made for ummmmm 1 year And Touratech/safari does make a front tank for your bike too... at least they did for a while.
made for 1 year, but sold for 3. That tells you how well it sold. Its a shame because it is such an awesome moto.

(The G650x is the first motorcycle I have ever owned that is increasing in worth. I can tell when there is a Siberski Extreme ride report going because I get unsolicited offers to buy my bike sight unseen.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
a 350 would be nice
a guy can dream.
maat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #4151
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
Buy a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
So its almost broken in?

Put a hitch on it, drive it easy! Its only a cah

Those automatic trannies are not known for their reliability, towing at 247k will probably kill it.

I'm thinking Ridgeline or Odyssey, my last one (Odyssey) was good to me, totaled (for the second time) @238k and at this point it paid for itself 10x over.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #4152
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v...ture=endscreen

Get one of these babies!

Happy Seal screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:24 AM
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #4153
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Those automatic trannies are not known for their reliability, towing at 247k will probably kill it.

I'm thinking Ridgeline or Odyssey, my last one (Odyssey) was good to me, totaled (for the second time) @238k and at this point it paid for itself 10x over.
I have a Ridgeline. Fantastic. Only drawback is 18 mpg. I can get 2 bikesin it with no problems. it has a 5000 lb tow rating. if buying used, don't get the first year, the trunks leak. Back seat flips up an out of the way so riding gear goes on the floor, not the seats. Trunk is amazingly large and I can open it when there is a bike in the bed.

I have a 2007 (second year of production) Best vehicle I ever had!!!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #4154
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post

I have a 2007 (second year of production) Best vehicle I ever had!!!
So it happened that I stopped by the dealer last night, friendly place, I get deals like no one else :)

they had a minivan, practical side of my brain kicked in so I took a look at it, really good deal, roomy, reliable, boring, little dash indicator was showing 22 mpg average... went home and spent the rest of the night coming up with reasons why I should buy a Ridgeline that gets shitty MPG and costs 3x as much :)

I may still buy that minivan, throwing a hitch on it would be most economical solution
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #4155
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,325
I don't mind jumping on the Honda bandwagon. It was my wife's turn for a new car and she wanted a CRV. I didn't particurally want a soccer mom car, especially since we don't even have kids. I can honestly say that I think its the most practical decision I've made, car wise. Nice mileage, stowage room, AWD, over 200k miles and runs like new. Great cars, great motorcycles, great outboard engines, everything they make is quality.

akarob screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 07:29 AM
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote