Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #16
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
We have a Windows based PC in the Becker with an AT&T aircard and WiFi. This thing rocks!!!! California to WV this year and never lost signal or access. Of course I was driving most of the time but when I stopped it was always on. Not CHEAP.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #17
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
These folks seemed to have the best reasonable cost options: http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #18
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,328
Are you going to be in the boondocks?

Are you going to populated areas (read: places likely to have cell coverage), or in the boondocks? If you're going to populated places, personal wifi hotspots are relatively reasonably priced these days. Definitely get the unlimited plans, and check coverage. Nice thing about personal wifi (or "Mifi's") is that they generally hook up up to 5 devices w/ no other hunk of appliance on your end.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 939
If you have a smart phone, like a Droid, you can "root" it and get the wifi hot spot access without your carrier knowing.

I use mine when I travel and let 2 to 3 coworkers use the wifi hot spot to connect laptops and tablets.

Only issue I have is burns thru the battery real fast and I need to keep near an outlet in the airports to charge it.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,085
Progress... Samsung Galaxy Note II

So I'm getting somewhere and giving up most of my thoughts of streaming a bunch of stuff on the road. But I still want to be as well connected as I can be.

I'll have a laptop, a Nexus 7 wifi, and I believe I'm settled on the Note II.

Now to the carrier wars...

Verizon vs AT&T seems to be the two choices. Both have about the same plans and coverage.

I think I will be within reach of wifi hotspots every few days, but I would like to tether to the phone now and then. Also, I keep a backup Virgin Mobile burner phone with me which operates on the Sprint network.

This will be my first smart phone. I'm a tech guy so no worries about using any of it, but any opinions on coverage and data plans would be greatly appreciated!

HFG

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s

hppyfngy screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 09:18 AM
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Just a follow up.

Note II on At&t. Tethering allowed, haven't tried it yet. Two N7's now.

Love the freaking big phone. Awesome Google apps and nav. Just driving around, the phone finds hotspots all the time so I think I'll be fine on the road

I think this is a great combination. Thanks for the input.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Robb Mc
what?

Oddometer: 1,573
When I lived in a trailer in NH two years ago for a few months, I used iPad and AT&T cellular for all Internet, including streaming. Only occasionally did the streaming hiccup. I spent $30-50 a month averaging maybe 20-30 mins of video daily, plus other surfing, email, etc.

I plan to do the same this summer when I take my old CB to NH.
Robb Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Just a follow up.

Note II on At&t. Tethering allowed, haven't tried it yet. Two N7's now.

Love the freaking big phone. Awesome Google apps and nav. Just driving around, the phone finds hotspots all the time so I think I'll be fine on the road

I think this is a great combination. Thanks for the input.
Just curious, how long is your contract and what data plan/cost do you have?
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Just curious, how long is your contract and what data plan/cost do you have?
Aren't they always 2 year contracts with new phone? I just moved from Sprint to ATT so I'm on the new plan model.

Let's see, 450 minutes talk/mo, mobile to mobile free, evenings (after 9pm,) and weekends free. Unlimited text. Picture mail. 3gb data/mo. Coming in at $96.

Over the past two months I have only used a fraction of the data plan, as I haven't been on the road testing it yet. Kind of nice , they will let you adjust your plan up or down per month as to data usage and you can do that at any point in the month, up or down I think $10 per gb. I haven't even tried the tethering yet as I've been able to get wifi connectivity at pretty much every stop. McDonalds or Starbucks or any random hotel...

So far so good but as I said I haven't road tested it much yet. The GPS is great with Google maps directions. I'm actually stunned at how much better it is than the two thousand bucks worth of Garmins I have going...

( investment tip - not Garmin...)

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Just a heads-up - if you can find anyone with an unlimited data plan on Verizon who wants to cancel their service, you can take-over their plan. You can keep your number too, through a convoluted porting process. Kinda screwy, but it's a legitimate loophole. I posted on craigslist offering to 'buy' a plan for $25 and had several people respond.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #26
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Just a heads-up - if you can find anyone with an unlimited data plan on Verizon who wants to cancel their service, you can take-over their plan. You can keep your number too, through a convoluted porting process. Kinda screwy, but it's a legitimate loophole. I posted on craigslist offering to 'buy' a plan for $25 and had several people respond.
But you can't get an upgrade anymore, when you do that the unlimited plan goes away.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #27
Carlo Muro
Supercàzzola

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Park next to McD's, $tarBuck$, or motels that use predictable WiFi signons and mooch for free. Make sure to keep your anti-virus and firewall up to date.
Or use a Chromebook and stop worrying about viruses, firewalls, etc
Old 05-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #28
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Aren't they always 2 year contracts with new phone? I just moved from Sprint to ATT so I'm on the new plan model.

Let's see, 450 minutes talk/mo, mobile to mobile free, evenings (after 9pm,) and weekends free. Unlimited text. Picture mail. 3gb data/mo. Coming in at $96.

Over the past two months I have only used a fraction of the data plan, as I haven't been on the road testing it yet. Kind of nice , they will let you adjust your plan up or down per month as to data usage and you can do that at any point in the month, up or down I think $10 per gb. I haven't even tried the tethering yet as I've been able to get wifi connectivity at pretty much every stop. McDonalds or Starbucks or any random hotel...

So far so good but as I said I haven't road tested it much yet. The GPS is great with Google maps directions. I'm actually stunned at how much better it is than the two thousand bucks worth of Garmins I have going...

( investment tip - not Garmin...)
I was where you were and this is how I did it: For phone, I ditched Sprint and went with a T-Mobile pay as you go phone for which I paid $28 and I get 1150 mins for $100. I also have a Nexxus 7 which pretty much acts as a "smart phone".

For data I have the 20g 4g hotspot plan from Millenicom that I pay $69.99 a month. I have no contract on anything, and I can stop the Millenicom plan anytime I want. If I want to reinstate my plan with Millenicom, I pay $19.95 to do so.

The first month I had the T-Mobile phone, I saved $30.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
I was where you were and this is how I did it: For phone, I ditched Sprint and went with a T-Mobile pay as you go phone for which I paid $28 and I get 1150 mins for $100. I also have a Nexxus 7 which pretty much acts as a "smart phone".

For data I have the 20g 4g hotspot plan from Millenicom that I pay $69.99 a month. I have no contract on anything, and I can stop the Millenicom plan anytime I want. If I want to reinstate my plan with Millenicom, I pay $19.95 to do so.

The first month I had the T-Mobile phone, I saved $30.
I also use my N7 as a phone using a Google Voice on that and on my Note. I love it. Works great and I like to hold the Nexus 7 up to my ear and look like I have the largest phone on the planet. It's pretty funny.

The minutes thing is pretty irrelevant because of this. I've had many rollover minutes every month so far.

You have an interesting plan going there though.

Whose towers does Millenicom use and how's the coverage?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #30
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I also use my N7 as a phone using a Google Voice on that and on my Note. I love it. Works great and I like to hold the Nexus 7 up to my ear and look like I have the largest phone on the planet. It's pretty funny.

The minutes thing is pretty irrelevant because of this. I've had many rollover minutes every month so far.

You have an interesting plan going there though.

Whose towers does Millenicom use and how's the coverage?
The 20g plan is Verizon. The last plan I had was with Sprint thru Millenicom, but when I was in Tucson 5 months ago, and couldn't get 4g service I switched to the hotspot plan.

I fulltime RV and one resource I've used is this guy's website, it's full of some pretty good info: http://www.jackdanmayer.com/communic...htm#Millenicom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: