User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
AR4CE OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Ultimate 4 Corners- Return from deployment trip

I've got 5 months left in Afghanistan, and with that time I'm using my free time to plan my ultimate bucket list trip-- since I won't be back in time for Sturgis, I'm going to do my own ultimate 4 corners ride:

Start: Dayton OH (Mid August)
Waypoint 1: Rapid City, SD
Waypoint 2: Beginning of the gravel @Dalton hwy, AK
Waypoint 3: Los Angeles, CA by way of PCH
Waypoint 4: Key West, FL
Waypoint 5: James Bay, QC, Canada
End: Back in Ohio

Est mileage: 14,680

My goal is to reach the highest points in Eastern and Western North America on paved road (Dalton and James Bay) and include the usual Southern points of a 4 corners ride.

In meeting up w/ friends and family along the way, I'm allocating around 45 days for the trip (must stop and smell the roses). I'm going to camp most of it outside of metropolitan areas, and be solo for most of it (have some fellow riders who might join up for a day or two.

My steed, though many might naysay, is a 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra. I put 60,000 hard miles on my last Harley and it took me through 48 States worry-free.

I'm looking for advice, experience, etc for this adventure-- those who have done portions of it, what to see, what to expect, whatever! I've got 5 more sandy months in Afghanistan to plan this awesome adventure.

This will be my longest trip, but not my first long trip by a long shot.
AR4CE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,460
I'm not sure that 45 days will be enough, but it'll be fun.

I'm going to move this to Trip Planning where you'll get a little more help.

Thank you for your service.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
I see this is your first post, so welcome to ADVrider!

Nothing like dreaming of your next ride to make the days go by. Should be fun. Your question is too big for a short answer, but if you're traveling through northern Nebraska you are welcome to stop by for a free meal and place to stay. 45 days isn't long to see North America, but hopefully you'll catch some highlights and meet some friendly folks along the way.

Best luck!

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
AR4CE OP
Adventurer

Much appreciated! At this point, I'm looking for folks who've done portions of the trips with tips. PCH, FL, etc isn't much of problem, and I've been through Southern Alaska before, but Northern Quebec and Alaska is uncharted territory for me.

I might be able to extend out to 60 days, but it's a matter of how much leave I'll be able to pull.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
teddy996
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
You shouldn't have problems with the James Bay portion of your trip. Some notes:

If you plan on going to the bay proper, be advised that there is a poorly maintained (lots of plow chatter and potholes) gravel road to get there- about 2-3 miles worth. I did the JBR in the summer of '10- we had two Goldwings with us, and they made it to the bay, so it should be more than doable on the Harley.

Most folks from Quebec are capable of understanding English, even if they can't speak it well. Important communication (my bike blew up, I need a beer, etc.) won't be a problem. The majority of Cree people speak perfect English.

There's a decent span of distance between gas stations in Matagami and the km 381 checkpoint, about 240 miles, so you might have to calibrate your wrist according to your tank size. Do not insult the gas boy by asking for octane ratings out of their only pump.

The JBR is rough in some spots, but those spots are clearly marked, and the other lane is usually less bumpy in those areas. Use the whole road if your ass is sore.

The food at Auberge Radisson is amazing.

Get a power plant tour in Radisson, or at least have a Hydro-Quebec employee run you over to the spillway. The size and scope of that project is incredible.

The placards for the attractions marked by the question mark signs are printed only in Cree and French. Skip them, but see the sights if you wish.

The scenery gets boring, really fast. Spruce and jack pine as far as the eye can see, or areas decimated by forest fires. Very little else. Get your singing voice handy.

Stay safe over there.
teddy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
AR4CE OP
Adventurer

Teddy- thanks for the info. I was comtemplating just getting to Radisson, depending on the road conditions.. but if the road to the bay is passable, I'll def get out there.

As far as Northern Quebec, luckily I speak passable French :)
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
AR4CE OP
Adventurer

Survived the deployment- starting real planning for the trip to happen spring/summer 2014.

Revised route:

Houston, TX
San Diego
Seattle
Deadhorse (purhoe bay)
James Bay (Radisson)
Bangor
Key West
Houston
Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,932
Congrats and Thank You for your service.

Ride safe.

If you end up in Tucson let me know.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Jrjoyce2007
ADVenture Addict

Oddometer: 869
Keep me in mind for Houston, I'll give ya a shower, good homecooked meal, and 2 military guys can split a 6 pack!
Jrjoyce2007 is offline   Reply With Quote