ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
AustinAdv
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Arches Natl Park

On a related note, I'm planning a solo excursion on a DR650 thru Arches in March . Anyone ridden the loop from Broken Arch around Tower Arch and back down to Eye of the whale? I'm pretty new with the DR and while comfortable with the bike, definitely still a novice off road rider.

Thanks!
AustinAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #17
Lappeman
He's Down Again!

Oddometer: 2,086
It all depends on your skill level. An experienced rider with those bikes, you can probably do Gemini Bridges and thru to 313. Long Canyon, White Rim, Onion creek, Castle mtn road up to Polar Mesa, you can also turn right past the bridge before Polar Mesa and ride to the Colorado state line. Polar mesa is a nice switchback climb and back to some old mines. Needles overlook road south of Moab and Canyon rim overlooks. Across the highway from there is a road that climbs to a nice lookout near a tower. I would suggest Geyser pass on La Sal mtn if it was later in the season, probably be snow on the road at that time. Should be able to do La Sal mtn loop road that runs along the front of the La Sals. The road thru Arches National Park goes thru and comes back out to 191 further north. Tusher Tunnel but there's deep sand the last 300yds.

My Moab posts start at # 5952 here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...83099&page=397 and continue for 7 days or so. Might give you some idea.

Have a great trip!
2003 KLR 650 Alaskan Adventure
2007 YZ250F Blue Death

Lappeman screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 08:47 PM
Lappeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #18
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,764
The best maps for Moab are produced by Latitude 40 maps, right out of my little town of Nederland. Get the West Moab and the East Moab maps. A friend of ours owns this company http://dualsportutah.com/. He can hook you up with rental KTM and GasGas bikes, and you might enjoy having him take you around. I believe they'll customize a tour for you. Why not lose the big bikes for a day?

If you only have three days in Moab, you're barely scratching the surface. You'll want to be back.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
dieselpete OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Some of our group are renting from Jim (dual sports of Utah). He can also provide more street oriented bikes.

We're an older group that doesn't heal fast. Based in the Canadian Rockies, we spend time near home on the dirt bikes, and want to see the sites in the Moab area. Also we are familiar with seasonal weather instability, and can pound pavement on the bikes we have. If there is too much snow, we head deeper south.
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,764
I'm 53. I don't heal fast, either. But a lot of the trails in Moab sure are worth taking that chance!
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
dieselpete OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thanks everyone for the tips! Two realizations about Moab... You can't take a bad picture, and no matter where you ride you will encounter awesome rides! One example was taking cane road, which turns into Harrah pass!

Jim and his compadres in Moab were awesome to deal with, our group was able to get the bikes early, and look forward to renting the (2) new R1200GSA's next year. Three days was enough to wet our appetites for the area! The jeep jamboree didn't pose any issues as the information centre lists the activity locations!
dieselpete is offline   Reply With Quote