Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #11536
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Chop View Post
+1 for the aeropress when away.

You will need a good hand grinder as well, expect to pay over $100 for a decent one. But be warned it can be a pain in the arse grinding all the time. Cheap grinders just can't produce consistent quality time and time again, and often can't go fine enough.

If your'e not right into your coffee, a good stainless steel stove top expresso unit is easy to use with nothing to think about other than the amount of coffee and grind to use. I find the cheaper aluminum ones taint the taste(for me anyway)

Aeropress can take a little practice but the results are worth the effort when you get it right.

Plungers are ok, but you do need to time it right. Most people tend to let the coffee steep for too long giving a bitter taste (same for the aeropress if left too long).

Above all else, fresh beans are a must, regardless of the brewing method.
Hi Chop, I had trouble finding the stainless stove tops, only seem to see the aluminum ones. But since I got my Bezzera off ebay I'm set anyway.

Plunger needs to sit for four minutes no longer. Fresh beans are a must, but I found the coffee I like the best is Monjava columbian and I get it from Coles, not as fresh as I would like but still get a pretty good brew and prefer it over fresh beans I've gotten from a roaster.

At the end of the day if your on the road and suffering instant coffee, stale beans badly ground and made into coffee any way possible is still better. There's always the old cowboy way of throwing them in the billy and letting it steep.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #11537
PBee

Oddometer: 8,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
All sorted he's getting a 4motion van just gotta wait 20 weeks
Good cars VW.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #11538
Beet
adventurer

Oddometer: 559
apple training

Hi, looking for someone with the skills and time to learn me how to use my MacBook Pro more efficiently/skilfully. I may need an hour or several of them. Wodonga/Albury/Tallangatta area. Message me and we can chat. thanks Beet
Beet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #11539
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Good cars VW.
$$$ Servicing though.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #11540
GSnovice
Beer me up, Scotty!

Oddometer: 1,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
$$$ Servicing though.
Some of the auto trans are reputed to be a bit fragile - even bigger $$$$$$$$
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #11541
PBee

Oddometer: 8,718
Got a Golf GTD with the DSG Tranny 80k on it & faultless.
But yes I agree the Genuine servicing is dear.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #11542
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Genuine servicing is dear with anything these days, particularly anything euro.
We have a VW Caddy TDI with DSG and it's great. Good economy and great to drive. The DSG auto is a ripper, I've heared of one going bang, but ours is going fine at 110000km. Oil change for the DSG is every 60000km with extra super duper synthetic oil that is only made by one manufacturer to VW's specifications and costs a bomb Last service for us was a timing belt, cost about $1800, but they change the water pump and a few other bits and pieces at the same time so not too bad I guess.
Otherwise, regular services are not too bad
Old 01-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #11543
Oldfatbeerman
Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer: 3,686
Quote:

One of my mates is a mechanic and a few years ago had a small job of replacing the alternator on a VW transporter van . The job ended up costing the owner $2,500 for the replacement of a $200 part , the remainder of the cost was labour because the motor had to be dropped out of the chassis to get to the alternator because of thoughtless design , the alternative to dropping the motor was to dismantle and remove the aircond system which would have been dearer again due to some non reuseable parts that would have to be sourced and purchased . My mates advice to me when I was considering buying a VW van was DON'T ..... and if you do , don't bring it to me to work on . As he had been doing all my mechanical work that I felt too complicated or fiddly to do myself I took his advice .
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #11544
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet View Post
Hi, looking for someone with the skills and time to learn me how to use my MacBook Pro more efficiently/skilfully. I may need an hour or several of them. Wodonga/Albury/Tallangatta area. Message me and we can chat. thanks Beet
didn't you get the free training from apple? also you get 3 months phone call back up

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #11545
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
the motor had to be dropped out of the chassis to get to the alternator because of thoughtless design ,
You have to wonder if it's thoughtless, or well thought out continuity program for the servicing dealerships. A lot of manufactures intetnionally design things that are to difficult for the average home mechanic to work on and have to be taken to the dealerships. Sell our product and you will make a motza from ongoing maitenance costs.

This is why Torx head bolts and sockets were originally used as fastners. You can buy the tools cheap and readily now but when they first came out they were hard to find and expensive. It stopped Joe average from working on it unless he wanted to spend a few hundred on tools.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #11546
peter650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
I am going to leave Sydney Friday morning. Tar/dirt road route down {no 4b4 trails, or crazy river crossings}. Speed {or lack of} barely moving up to 3 legged turtle on the good bits. Anyone who wants to tag along, for all or part of the trip is more than welcome. If i am going to slow, just piss off & leave me. Anyway i will see you guys there. Peter
peter650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #11547
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfatbeerman View Post
One of my mates is a mechanic and a few years ago had a small job of replacing the alternator on a VW transporter van . The job ended up costing the owner $2,500 for the replacement of a $200 part , the remainder of the cost was labour because the motor had to be dropped out of the chassis to get to the alternator because of thoughtless design , the alternative to dropping the motor was to dismantle and remove the aircond system which would have been dearer again due to some non reuseable parts that would have to be sourced and purchased . My mates advice to me when I was considering buying a VW van was DON'T ..... and if you do , don't bring it to me to work on . As he had been doing all my mechanical work that I felt too complicated or fiddly to do myself I took his advice .

Just as bad as a Peugeot you have to take the front wheel off to get to the headlight globe .

He has a company car so this is the weekender bike transporter. He's a a Merc transport for the last 10years only 1 $3000 turbo rebiuld picking me up when i had a flat tyre on the 950 .
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #11548
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter650 View Post
I am going to leave Sydney Friday morning. Tar/dirt road route down {no 4b4 trails, or crazy river crossings}. Speed {or lack of} barely moving up to 3 legged turtle on the good bits. Anyone who wants to tag along, for all or part of the trip is more than welcome. If i am going to slow, just piss off & leave me. Anyway i will see you guys there. Peter
Bev & I are heading down Friday too, may hook up somewhere & travel together ?
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #11549
Dave Ward
Not enough riding...

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
didn't you get the free training from apple? also you get 3 months phone call back up
And heaps of free tutorials on line from Apple...

Light travels faster than sound, which must be why when I meet some people they seem bright - until I hear them speak.
Dave Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #11550
lentil
All round nice guy

Oddometer: 7,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beet View Post
Hey Beet Youtube is your friend

Write a list of what you want to do and write it into youtube and nine times out of 10 someone has done it before!

Apple fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
It's the classic freudian slip... "come out of the closet, and jump into the jaccuzzi with the rest of us..."
lentil is offline   Reply With Quote