User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Oddometer: 75
How to Remove Heat Stains on Engine?

I did a very bad thing. I started my 1150 GS, quickly ran inside to grab something, got distracted, and 30 minutes later, I found my bike in a thick cloud of smoke. I melted the Oil-view window and a couple of very minor plastic mounts, but from what I can tell, I got Lucky. (the bike hadn't seized and plenty oil was still rushing out, Oil Pressure Sensor is still intact)

The one thing I don't know is how can I remove the heat stains on the Engine and magnesium cylinder heads?
I've heard Vinegar works for stainless Steel, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,061
Daaaaaaamn!

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,263
The discoloration you're seeing is the finish applied to the parts, not the metal itself. You're probably going to have to strip it all off and refinish them.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,449
Vinegar is a weak acid. It won't touch your stains but will leave an unpleasant odor everywhere.

Try Super Clean, a strong, water soluble cleaner. It is available at Wal-Mart.

Careful, wear gloves if you're going to handle the wet parts...undiluted, the stuff will remove skin. Also, keep it away from glass...it can etch glass if not removed promptly.

It contains NaOH (sodium hydroxide) and silicates (strong alkalies). The pH is about 13.

I use it for grease removal on metal parts, carburetors, cleaning plastic furniture, as a deck cleaner with the pressure washer (diluted), carpet stain remover, laundry pre-spotter, cleaning the bar-b-q smoker, cleaning concrete, cleaning the wife's gold and platinum diamond rings, etc.

Diluted, it is excellent at cleaning auto wheels, tires or white walls (remember those?).

If the stains you have are cooked on oil, this stuff will take it off.

Oh, and its cheap....~$10.00/gallon. I purchased my last gallon about two years ago and still have plenty left.

Super Clean is my regular go-to all-purpose cleaner. I have it around in spray bottles at various strengths.

Rinse thoroughly.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
def
I've little to say

The boxer engine should never be warmed up before riding. It is best to get your gear on, mount up and start the engine. Move the bike off the center stand, engage 1st gear and ride off...no warm up.

There have been instances of boxers catching fire by owners who made the same mistake...starting the engine, leaving it running and getting distracted.

You were fortunate however, you may experience some heat related problems in the future (seals, oil leaks, wiring damaged, etc.).

I would inspect the engine oil for signs of overheating and change it if found to be suspect.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
The boxer engine should never be warmed up before riding. It is best to get your gear on, mount up and start the engine. Move the bike off the center stand, engage 1st gear and ride off...no warm up.

There have been instances of boxers catching fire by owners who made the same mistake...starting the engine, leaving it running and getting distracted.

You were fortunate however, you may experience some heat related problems in the future (seals, oil leaks, wiring damaged, etc.).

I would inspect the engine oil for signs of overheating and change it if found to be suspect.
When the temperature dips below 10, I'll get partially geared, start the bike on the centerstand, go back inside to put on my 'stitch and helmet, then leave. This typically is during the morning when I'm on my way to work, so the chances I'll get distracted and not leave are quite slim.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,614
That's burned paint, not stained metal. I'd leave it alone. Consider it a badge of honor, a warning to others, ... whatever.
Replace the oil window, oil and filter, keep your eye out for leaks from any cooked seals and if nothing bad happens, consider yourself very lucky.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
That's burned paint, not stained metal. I'd leave it alone. Consider it a badge of honor, a warning to others, ... whatever.
Replace the oil window, oil and filter, keep your eye out for leaks from any cooked seals and if nothing bad happens, consider yourself very lucky.
I'd replace the valve cover gaskets (all four of them), they saw a lot of heat and probably aren't as flexible as they used to be.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,694
Wow, sounds like you caught it just in time!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Tell others that you got the "gold package" option.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
DetourJournal OP
DetourJournal.com

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loboe View Post
Tell others that you got the "gold package" option.
Oh I Like that! Although, while I like the badge of honor, I prefer the badges that don't scream "Hey everyone! I'm a moron."

Trust Me. I Cried. The worst part is I totally know better (In fact I just cautioned others against the EXACT SAME thing in a How to Change your Oil Video). It was pure stupidity. These bikes don't need to warm up and I only intended to run into the house and right back out.

It's good to hear that it's just the finish on the metal that's stained. I'll definitely try Super Clean. Is it similar to just using carb cleaner?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Super clean is just a strong citrus based cleaner with amonia in it. It is not like carb cleaner at all. You must rinse it off with water, unlike carb cleaner.

I do not think anything will fix that discoloration except repainting the painted parts. Powder coat or even rattle can will work with varying levels of quality.

If you have no other damage you are very fortunate. I would worry about ALL of my electronics like the HES.....anything in an epoxy sealed canister like resistors or capacitor stuff.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
simoneau
Biker/Adventurer/Retiree

Oddometer: 179
You really should remove the valve covers and eyeball the timing chain tensioners and slide rails. A friend of mine did the same overheat to his engine and his rails and tensioners warped to the point of turning 90 degrees to their respective positions. In his case, noises ensued!
simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #14
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Super clean is just a strong citrus based cleaner with amonia in it. It is not like carb cleaner at all. You must rinse it off with water, unlike carb cleaner.
Incorrect, Super Clean is not citrus based, does not contain NH3 and contains no volatile solvents. It is inorganic.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Ayrshire Bull
why the hell not?

Oddometer: 1,734